• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A teacher fed up with Crohns

B

bball diva

My story...

Wow where do I begin? This has been a roller-coaster ride for the last 19 years! I was diagnosed when I was 17 and a senior in high school. My parents thought I had an eating disorder because I stopped eating and lost about 30 pounds in a month. I missed over 40 days of school and had to quit the softball team and lost any chance at a scholarship. This was my introduction to Crohn's.

I was started on the usual Prednisone but couldn't continue this because my parents couldn't afford it. I couldn't even fathom going to college until I got my disease under control, but couldn't afford the meds!

My biggest symptom was the diarrhea. It was horrible! It would come at any time and any place. I was so embarrassed by these symptoms so much that I took so many Immodiums to control the diarrhea. I would take up to 12 pills a day! Plus, I would never eat unless I was at home because as soon as I ate something I would have to go to the bathroom! For the next 10 years, this is all I took for my CD.

About 10 years ago, I had enough! I finally had a good job with good benefits so I went back to a GI doctor and started on meds again. I think I was back on Prednisone at this time. A colonoscopy was performed and indeed my disease was active.

I was never very faithful in taking my meds but eventually after a huge flare 3 years ago I started taking my disease seriously and told the doctor that I was ready to do whatever it takes to regain control of my CD. He put me on different combinations of drugs: Lialda, Prednisone, Entocort, Pentasa. Each combination of meds would work for a little while and then stop working. More symptoms starting to show, mainly in my blood work. I became severly aenemic and had to have iron infusions everyday for 10 straight days. I started to become severly fatigued with muscle weakness and joint pain. This would just not do! I have a job where energy is a must (I teach 7th graders!) and I was finding it difficult to get the energy to get up in the morning and go to work. Not to mention, the embarrassment of having to get someone to "watch my class" when I would have an episode.

Finally I was put on the "next step-up" and put on Imuran, while still taking Pentasa and Entocort. This seemed to work well, but the same thing kept happening...it would eventually stop working and the doctor kept having to increase my dose. Soon I developed a fistulae, which I had never had before, so my dose was increased again. I would have routine blood tests and liver panels to monitor my health while on this medicine. About 3 weeks ago I had an increase in my liver enzymes so a liver unstrasound was ordered. Luckily there was no damage, but the doctor stopped my Imuran as a precaution.

So now, I will be starting Remicade in two weeks and am a little nervous about it because of the side-effects. I tend to get infections easily which is not difficult when you work around kids as much as I do. I just want to feel normal again and hope that this will do the trick!

Hi bball diva,

I'm also a teacher (highschool) and know the feeling when you have to leave the classroom quickly. Luckily it's only happened to me when I have a senior class and I can trust them to be on their own for a short time.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. For just over a year I was put on one medication after another. They would work for a little while then I would go down hill again. I was scheduled to have a bowel resection but when they opened me up the inflammation had calmed down due to the fact that I'd been on Flagyl for 2months prior to the op. They just did some 'repairs' and I was sick again 1 month later.

As a last resort I went on Humira. I was also really nervous about the side effects but don't worry, I've had no nasty infections, I haven't even got a cold! We are coming into winter now and I'm also a little concerned about being around kids at this time of year, so will see what happens.

I hope Remicade works for you. I'm feeling the best I've ever felt since being diagnosed, so I hope that gives you a little hope.

Let us know how you get on. Do you have a good support network around you? I find that helps me alot.

Amanda

Hey bball_diva,
I think all of us here can feel what you are going through with Crohns.

I just wanted to let you know that my story is similar wherein I also would build up a tolerance to the meds I was on. I also worked my way up the scale in drug potency.

I after chasing my tail and getting no where I made some huge changes in my life and found that Martial Arts and more specifically the Tan Jun breathing technique really helped me tremendously. (HUGE - like in remission)

If your interested you can find out more here....

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=5927

Either way good luck on your health and with the Remicade...

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi bball diva,
I am a teacher too! I teach music to grades K-6. Thankfully, I have a bathroom right across the hall from me. Last year I had to leave my classroom several times to run across. Once I even crapped my pants in the middle of a class.
This year however, I have been on Remicade since November, and I am doing VERY well now.
Remember that those side effects are listed as possiblities, so try not to be too afraid. I haven't had one problem with lowered immune system so far.
Good luck, and welcome to the forum!