• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and arthritis flare

Hi, I'm new to the forum but was diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm having my second flare up this one is lasting longer than the first. My doctor suggested I get in touch with people in the same boat as me. This is my story....

It started with my stomach I was having lots of pain and cramping and diarrhea on a daily basis which was strange but I always wrote it off as nothing, maybe something I ate. I was also super stiff in the morning I could barely move, again though maybe I worked out too hard or slept wrong. Finally my eyes started to hurt...a lot. My doctor referred me to an optomologist and he took a quick look and said I had iritis. I couldn't believe it was a real thing. I asked why someone would get that and he asked me if I had health problems. I said no. He said nothing to worry about then only if I were having muscle pain or stomach problems would he be concerned. I asked why they would be related and he said people with rheumatoid arthritis or crohns often have this problem. I left without telling him about my other symptoms, I think I was just scared and I made and apt with my doctor. Well a referral to a GI and a rheumatologist and crohn's and arthritis it is. So a predisone taper and some Imuran would help me feel symptom free in 3 months.

I was feeling a lot better and got the bright idea to go off the imuran. My hair had really thinned out and I just never felt 100% while taking it. I also decided to start seeing a naturopath when I was noticing my symptoms come back. I really struggle with the idea of being on drugs forever because of the long term side effects. It was working for a while but I was on a extremely restrictive diet which was fine for a few weeks until we did some allergy testing. For this I had to reintroduce all these foods I had eliminated and Dec 1st my ankle started to swell and I have been suffering ever since.

I'm back on the prednisone and 150mg of Imuran but my GI is concerned the next step is Humira.

I'm terrified of the drugs and I'm terrified or getting worse. During my flares my inflammatory arthritis is so bad usually in my ankles, knees, hips and elbows that I can't even sleep. It wonders all over my body and everyday is a new surprise, plus my stomach cramps are painful but usually when my joints are bad my stomach is calm and vice versa. Currently my stomach is giving me more grief than my arthritis but I'm also back on 30mg of Pred so who knows whats coming as I taper down. My fingers are crossed the imuran finally kicks in and there is no more Humira talk but honestly I'd rather be on neither. I'm 27 and I want to have kids within the next couple of years and I'd rather not be pregnant and taking imuran.

Ahh I'm just so stressed I've been off work and pretty much just hiding in our house driving my boyfriend crazy ( even though he won't admit it) for the last 4 months just praying things will go back to normal soon. I'm wondering if this is my new normal :(

Welcome tdew,

I've been stuck in the house since 2/6/14 - really don't have the energy to leave or do much of anything. This forum has given me so much information to discuss with my GI. I'm scared of the medications also but my quality of life is so bad, I have opted to discuss with him at my visit next week. I've been in a flare for almost a year and currently on Pentasa which has helped but the chronic nausea and stomach pains have changed my thought pattern.

Good luck with your current meds!

I know what you mean about leaving the house, the idea is daunting. Best of luck I hope your doctor can help you feel better soon.