• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton site is ITCHING!

I just had my seton put in on Friday 3/28 and it is itching like crazy. I have been following doctor's orders and doing my sitz baths, keeping the area clean, moving it once a day, etc. But it itches so much. Is this normal?

Also, when you have a bowel movement do you even attempt to wipe? Or do you just go straight to the shower? I have tried "patting" the area with toilet paper and using a peri bottle, showering, sitz bathing, etc. immediately after going, because the thought of wiping seems like torture. LOL

nogutsnoglory

Itching is a sign of healing and it's normal. If you can use balneol cream that helps with the itching. I wouldn't wipe. Just baths and gently pat with tissue or baby wipes.

Itching is to be expected with a seton. When I had mine I wouldn't wipe, period. I used a peri-bottle, I believe you can get those at any pharmacy. It's a little humiliating, but so worth it.

I had 3 setons placed January 25th and to begin with did not want to wipe and found crouching and getting the shower head right under helped. But I did and still do use wet wipes to clean the area and then after pat with toilet paper. I work full time and my bowels are open a lot during the course of the day so I would obviously not be able to shower every time...

as for the itching o my god it's driving me crazy! If u don't mind me asking has any itching spread to the vaginal area mine has and it's so sore I got some canestan cream it gets rid after 2 or so days but then returns... I'm gonna try some balneol cream thanks.

Do your setons weep a lot??

Sorry to keep asking I just haven't spoken much to anyone else in the same situation.

:)

Thanks everyone! I ordered the Balneol to give that a try and I called my doc yesterday and she also suggested calmoseptine, so I ordered some of that too. Hopefully, these will help.

Carrie - the itching has not spread.....yet. But, I am just waiting for it to. I suffer from yeast infections a couple of times a year already, so I can only imagine how frustrating that can be. So far, I have had a lot of drainage and I have been using gauze pads and changing them every time I go to the bathroom. Even just to urinate.

Carrie are you on any biologics or immunosuppresants? Those can cause chronic yeast infections. I had a chronic yeast infection and oral thrush for two years while I was on biologics.