• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blood after colonoscopy

Hi there!

I just had my second upper GI and colonoscopy this morning, probably about three hours ago. My doctor told me he took a ton of biopsies. When I went to the bathroom I noticed a bit of blood, and a few small blood clots. Is this normal? I have no pain or discomfort, just some bleeding.

I might be overreacting, given that the first scope I had they didn't take too many biopsies and I didn't notice any bleeding.

Thanks for the help!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes, if the doctor took biopsies, having some blood is normal (been there, had that!) - the more biopsies, the more blood also. However, if you have any larger clots, continuing bright red blood and severe cramping (some cramping is normal after a scope) I would call the doctor. Also, if you start to run a fever that needs to be checked. There should be an instruction sheet that was sent home with you that has this and additional information on it.

I had a bit of blood after my last one as well...I called the doc, doc said as long as its not a "toilet full of blood" not to call and bother him again ha

Yes it is normal. When I had mine Tuesday after I came out of them knocking me out , the nurse warned me that I may see blood in my stool for about a day due to the biopsies as well as the inflammatory polyps that I apparently had...which he obviously removed and I hopefully find out today what the biopsy results are.

I'll just add to that and say that I had it too but they didn't warn me at all and I nearly panicked too. Mind you the nurses didn't seem to be sure either. Anyway, like you it stopped after a while. I think if anyone is going for their first colonoscopy perhaps we should let them know about bleeding after wards. We are worried enough going in without worrying again having come out. Hope are feeling well now anyway.

I had a different doctor doing the scopes this time, and they didn't mention anything about blood either. My first scope the doctor told me there would be minimal, if any, blood. I tend to be a bit of a worrier to begin with! But everything turned out fine, Remicade wasn't working for me, so I'm waiting for my insurance to approve Humira. Hopefully I'll start that next week.