• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed, but have probably had this for 2-3 decades!

RAP

Hi,
I'm Celeste.
I've been told I've had CFIDS (Chronic Fatigue), IBS, & a few other things over the years, & I've had 2 or 3 episodes of Pseudomembranous Colitis. (My new GI says this is now called C-dif, if I understood him.)
Yesterday I learned I have Crohn's Disease following a colonoscopy with biopsies. This has made me wonder now if this hasn't been the main problem all along, or maybe I've been walking around with both CFIDS & CD. Not that it really matters I guess! Anyway, my colonoscopy showed multitudes of small ulcers scattered throughout my entire colon & small intestine, at least to the extent that the doc threaded the camera northward.
Anyway, I guess I'm lucky because my disease is not severe at this time. Looking back over the years though I realize I have had multiple flares with some periods of remission. I am very familiar with the incredible discomfort, pain, complications, etc...the whittling away at (or huge carvings from) quality of life that can happen. What a miserable disease this is.
Some time ago I took a few years to pursue complimentary medicine in order to deal with all the health issues I was having..a couple of those doctors, & some of the treatments, were very helpful. Unfortunately, not being covered by medical insurance, I couldn't afford to continue that path.
Back to the present - I've just begun the CD research & have lots more to do!
I really really want to avoid the treatment drugs I've been reading about due to all the horrible potential risks & side effects! But, I realize, should the time come where I'm suffering & need relief, if nothing else helps, I might consider using them.
Of special concern to me is the increased risk of cancer, both from CD, & from the drugs. I just lost my husband to a form of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I, myself, have had uterine cancer as well as many instances of 2 types of skin cancer.
My stress levels have been high the last few years, but especially this last year, so I'm trying to manage that too.
I'll stop here for now & hope this is an adequate introduction!

Yeah, I believe because you have cancer history they cannot safely prescribe most medication for Crohn's since it will drastically effect your cancer remission risk. I usually don't suggest this because of the fact there have only been two well controlled studies on it's effects on CD and most people can take the better studied alternatives but have you considered Low-Dose Naltrexone? In both studies it helped those with CD a great deal and it shouldn't carry the serious cancer risks of most CD treatment.