• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Im 13 and I had surgery a few days ago.

Hi, I'm audi and I'm 13! I had surgery last Monday and they released me four days later because I was doing AMAZING. (I was told 1-2 weeks. 1 week if I was doing really good!) I feel different! Turns out, I was in a flare for about 6 months straight... my body just got used to the small stomach cramps. I started walking after the second day of my sugery. The medicine they gave me made me forget most of before the surgery. I do have a lot of funny videos of me being high or something! Anyway, I feel so much better! I'm happy I got the surgery! It was a suprise, but I feel normal again! They have me on a lot of steroids. I have to carry a stress dose pen everywhere just in case I have a seizure all of a sudden (a little scary, yeah) Anyway, I have 6 small incisions and one big one. It is starting to sting, and I'm a little worried. I felt perfect yesterday, but now it's starting to sting. Should I clean it? I've taken a shower and gently put water over it (like the doctor said). My mom is REALLY panicky and overprotective right now, so I don't want to scare her with anything.

Last edited:

Catherine

Glad the surgery went well.

It a mother job to worry about her kids.

I am going to page DustyKat for you. Both her kids have had surgery.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Audi and :welcome:

I’m so sorry you had to find your way here :( but on the upside it is a great place for info and support. :)

It is so good to hear that you have come through the surgery with flying colours! Woohoo and well done!

After the sort of surgery you have had it would be normal to get some stinging around the incision site particularly as it starts to heal. You have been through a lot and your insides will have taken a bit of a battering, so what a bruise looks like on the outside is a bit like what your insides will be looking like. Pain and discomfort will be normal too but nothing to extreme.
Just normal washing in the shower will be fine and be sure to dry the area gently but thoroughly. What you need to look out for with the incision is redness (inflammation), swelling, any sort of discharge (pus, blood etc), and if any pain keeps getting worse.

Like Catherine said, mums worry, its what we do best! :lol: I understand you not wanting to worry her so if you have any questions and we can help put your mind at ease please don’t hesitate to ask and if need be we will tell you what you may need to talk your mum about. :)

Dusty. xxx

theOcean

Congratulations!! I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.

If you're feeling a little stinging around the incision site, that's normal, but also probably a good sign to clean it, too. Were you given anything to disinfect the area with? If not, just taking some rubbing alcohol on cotton pads and wiping down the area should be all right, nothing too invasive. Showering to clean it like you have been sounds good, too.

While I know you don't want to scare your mother, you should also let her know what's going on. It's nothing to worry about, but maybe she can even help you keep the incision clean and sterile. I'm sure she'd be happy to do something to help. :)

Trysha

Staff member
Great news Audi--lovely to hear things went well.You are very brave.
You will soon heal .
Perhaps your mum would like to know how you are.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

valleysangel92

Staff member
I'm so pleased everything went well for you! You sound like you have been very brave :) much braver than a lot of the adults I've met ;) .

I wouldn't worry about the stinging too much right now, I would let your mum know just so she can keep an eye on things with you, but stinging at this stage is normal. You might also find that it starts to itch a fair bit too, and that's also normal, and it is actually a sign of healing, just don't scratch it .
If it gets swollen or goes a funny colour, our you get pus then it's best to tell your doctor just incase there's a little infection.

I know it might seem a little annoying having your mum be over protective, but make the most of the chance to relax and be made a fuss of, you deserve it!