• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you get more and longer lasting infections while using immunosuppressant drugs?

Do you get more and/or longer lasting infections while using immunosuppressant drugs?

• Total voters
Hello, I'm using methotrexate and I've been wondering about increased risk of infections. Because generally when I get infection my crohn's gets much worse. Have you notice increased number and longer lasting infections(it can be common cold, flu or harder infections) while on immunosuppresant(Biologics are immunosuppresant too)? Do you find it is much harder to get over a common infection?

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
With Methotrexate, Humira and Remicade, yes I did. With 6MP alone, not at all. Depends on the person really.

Been on imuran since 1995 so don't really have a comparison timeline for when not on any as so long ago but added enbrel to the mix in 2009 and since being on both yes I have seen an increase in infections. So being on two immunosuppressive treatments vs just one there is definitely a difference. And for me recovery time is longer now also. Plus they seem to hit me harder.

Hi. Was on Remicade for 11 months along with 6MP. I developed pneumonia and pleurisy and then full blown active pulmonary tuberculosis with extensive damage to my bronchi and trachea due to my immunosuppression. On anti TB meds now for 6 months and haven't had a remicade infusion since November. Since being off biologics my crohn's has progressed more severely. Now hang to look at going back on Biologics again. Hoping this time I won't develop any more serious infections - think I've had my fair share this year!!

theOcean

I used to get sick all the time before I went on Biologics/Immunosuppressants. Once I was placed on them, generally all my illnesses would go away. I only ever got sick once -- a cold, which I know I caught from my SO -- and that lasted a pretty long time, though. But that was the only thing I caught in a year and a half, and although it lasted long, it wasn't that bad.

I think it's different for everyone, though.

I actually have found a significant drop in frequency and severity of infections, colds and flus since starting remicade and imuran. A return in some minor skin blemishes though, and more gum infections.

nogutsnoglory

While on immunosuppressants like 6mp or methotrexate yes, always sick and hard to fight things off. I haven't found that same issue with the biologics. They all suppress but in different ways and every body is different in the way they handle it.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ok, one more poll option added. :D

nogutsnoglory let me know if you would like to be added to the recent poll option if you already voted. :)

I've been on Humira for over 3 years now & @ for the 1st 18months I had a fair few infections but I seem to have done ok of late . Here's hoping it stays like that.
Rgds
Grant