• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen stoma

So over the past few days I noticed some discomfort around my stoma area so I took a peak and it was pushing against the edges of the flange. I changed the flange and had to cut the ring quite a bit bigger.
Two days have passed and it's still pretty big (compared to what it was for the first 4 months +)

My output is still 100% the same as it was before the swelling, and I have no nausea or ab pain.

Wondering if I should worry about this? Will it go away on its own?

If I do have to seek medical attention which dr do I contact?
-gp
-crohns doc
-surgeon?

PsychoJane

Mine can change in size if I catch a bug, if I drink too much alcohol or if I eat too much food that is not stoma friendly (ie: high amount of solid fiber (coconut, nuts, certain vegetables, etc)). For me, it has resolved on its own everytime.

If it does not and you feel the need to consult, if you stoma is fairly new I would maybe see with the surgeon otherwise with the GI. GP, in my opinion will be pointless. Over the year, my experiences of stoma with GP or ER docs was they don't know what to do with it and usually won't be able to bring much advices so I'd skip that step.

Thanks for the reply.. How long would you say it took for the sizing to go back towards normal? I have avoided hard to digest foods since I had the surgery but recently had some pizza with shrooms on it I'm assuming that could be the culprit seeing as they don't digest too well.

Do you have an ostomy nurse? They are often stationed at the hospital where you had the operation. I've found that they are much more knowledgeable about the practical issues of managing my stoma than either the GP or the GI.

nogutsnoglory

When did you have it placed? The size can change dramatically in the first few weeks/months. It can also change if you gain or lose weight.

Btw you may want to avoid mushrooms. I know some here eat them but I was advised this is very dangerous with an ostomy and one of the leading causes of obstructions.

Mine went "swollen" but turns out it was a Prolapsed stoma,Scared the Bejesus out of me but a call and visit to the stoma nurse put my mind at rest