• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Black baggy eyes (help)

Hi all, I would like to get some advice about my black baggy eyes. I have had bad black eyes now for about 4 years ever since I got really sick with an abscess in my gut. I had to have surgery to take out a pretty large part of my bowel and my black baggy eyes have never gone away. Last time I went to see my doctor and had a blood test he said everything was pretty normal. So I'm not sure if it's something like a low iron I have had iron supplements in the past but they give me really bad gas and pain was thinking maybe iron injections but don't think my doctor will give me them with my blood tests being ok. Anyone got any advice on how to get rid of my black eyes as they are really starting to affect my life.

What are your B12 levels like? I have had very bad "panda" eyes in the past, it was normally one of the few visible external signs when I was feeling really unwell. Since having a resection, the dark rings around my eyes have largely disappeared.

I was thinking anemia as I was reading your post, but then your doctor said your levels are all good. Of course, my blood tests are spot on but I still fight exhaustion, likely due to poor absorption. And I still have continuous TI inflammation. Sometimes I don't think blood tests are the best indicator.

I still wonder about the anemia, though. Since my Crohn's has flared in the last few years I get dark circles when my asthma worsens - it's a classic sign of the body not getting enough oxygen. So I wonder if your red blood cells need a boost as well.

Maybe you would benefit from boosting your iron from iron rich food? I don't like liver, but I know it's the best form. Even desiccated in pill form. Also beets are high.

For me the worst part is people looking at my face and saying "Oh you look tired!" even when I'm not.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Vitamin K or Anemia (of the b12 or iron source) can be a contributing culprit. Illness in general and the fatigue that people experience from it can cause health to deteriorate. The skin underneath your eyes and on your eyelids are the thinnest layers of skin on your body with tons of blood vessels underneath it, so if something isn't right the eyes are one of the first places to show it

Try cutting back on your salt intake as excess salt consumption from foods (whether by added salt or salt cooked into the food) is known to cause water retention which also contribute to baggy eyes. Always drink plenty of water if it doesn't cause you too much digestive discomfort.

If you smoke. Stop. Now.

Medications you take can contribute to your eye symptoms.

And another part of the issue is that your skin around your eyes naturally thins even more as you age. It could very well be a combination of all of these things that create the situation you have now.

Diet alterations, rest and vitamin/mineral deficiency testing will be your best bet at trying to tackle this problem.

Sources:
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Black-Circles-Under-Your-Eyes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periorbital_dark_circles

nogutsnoglory

I have had dark circles under my eyes for years. I don't think it's related to a deficiency but due to stress and lack of rejuvenating sleep. I have tried many creams but nothing works. You can try some creams to hydrate that area and you can also steep tea bags and freeze them and put them on the eye. The cold plus tannins from tea may assist with the darkness and puffiness.

A segment of the population is simply predisposed to them NGNG, you might be one of them. If you pull the skin sideways and it turns blotchy it's likely a pigment problem. If it says uniform it's likely just extremely thin skin and there's nothing to be done (assuming it's genetic) but wearing concealer, using eye cream with caffeine in it, or getting Intense Light Pulse treatment. I've looked into this myself because it runs in my family and I seemed to have picked it up from my mother.

nogutsnoglory

I think it's the latter and not a skin pigmentation issue. It would be nice to get rid of it but it's honestly the least of my worries. I couldn't see myself going for a treatment but maybe if my other more pressing issues go away.

Well there is always concealer, it's not just for ladies you know. :p I've heard some people have success with caffeine containing eye cream because it'll constrict the blood vessels in the area and it look a little more subtle.

nogutsnoglory

Oh please I don't buy into gender stereotypes. I'd totally wear concealer without giving a damn. My issue is I don't like covering things up, i like to try to eliminate the issue outright. I feel if I did wear a concealer on a rare occasion and I sweat it will be obvious. Maybe I can give it a try for a night out I want to look my best.

It's not really that noticeable, even the odd tear or serious humidity won't screw it up too badly. Just don't look up in a rainstorm.

nogutsnoglory

I sweat from anxiety and id probably wear it for an anxiety provoking situation. I can try, any kind you recommend?

Agh a Humira commercial is on now. They are such stalker a!