Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » I think hubby has crohn's and Dr gave antibiotic

04-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
wendy1114

I think hubby has crohn's and Dr gave antibiotic

Hello everyone. I've been doing a lot of research for my hubby because he is having a lot of problems and all of my research brought me here. I'll try to keep the story short.
About 6 months ago my husband started having a lot of bleeding while having bowel movements. He ended up going for a colonoscopy (after about a month) and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago and he started having the same problem but he has been waiting for it to go away since the doctor couldn't find anything wrong last time. He has been going to the restroom all day and a few times throughout the night. About 2 weeks ago he told me he felt like he was getting a zit on his nose that he tried to squeeze a couple days later. But then it turned into a puffy sore looking this with lots of white bumps around it that was about the size of a quarter. He turned feverish for a couple of days but then the fever went away. About a week ago the fever came back for a couple of days. He ended up with a sore on his tongue and then yesterday informed me that he also has 3 on his butt and 1 on his hip. He showed me that one and it look like it is down to the 2nd layer of skin. Also another one on his tongue.
He's also been having night sweats horribly every night regardless if he has a fever or not. He is sleeping constantly. He's ended up with a horrible looking blister on his thumb which the Dr took care of today. Also he's been complaining of a horrible cramp in his ribcage and up by his collar bone.
The weird thing about all this is that everything is happening on the left side of his body. I haven't mentioned to him that everything I'm researching is pointing to Crohn's because I don't want him to worry. The thing that does worry me is the fact that the doctor gave him clindamycin to treat the sores but the precautions say to tell your doctor if you have Crohn's or colitis. So now I am wondering if he should even be taking this antibiotic. He's informed his doctor of every problem he is having. He sent him for blood work and has a follow-up in 2 weeks.
I'm sorry this has turned out to be so long but does anyone have any advice to offer on if I should tell him or not or do I just trust that the doctor is doing the right thing? Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this whole thing
04-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The rectal bleeding doesn't necessitate crohn's. It can be fissures, hemorrhoids or an abscess related or unrelated to IBD. Crohn's can cause absecess and mouth ulcerations but the symptoms you are describing coupled with the clear scope don't sound like crohn's to me.

What did the GI say they think it is? What leads you to believe its crohn's and not something else?
04-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
wendy1114

Thanks for your response. I think the biggest thing that made me think it was Crohn's was because of all of the sores coupled with the bleeding. The thing with the last scope was that his bleeding problem was pretty well cleared up on its own when he had the scope. The doctor just informed him that he couldn't find anything wrong that he thought it would have just been a virus or something. I guess I should have researched if Crohn's or any other IBD is visible all the time or only during a flare-up. Sorry I'm a newbie and still trying to learn about these things
04-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
What are his intestinal symptoms? Are his stools covered in a clear jelly-like liquid? What color is the blood on his stool? If it's a bright red, it's fresh, and could easily be a rectal tear. If his stool is black that would suggest something farther up. (if he's not taking iron supplements)
04-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The sores on other areas of the body wouldn't be common with crohn's. As to whether crohn's would be visible in a non-flare the answer is it depends. Some low level inflammation can be detected or damage done previously ie: scar tissue but it could also show clear. Has your husband had blood tests to check for inflammation in the body ESR and CRP? There is a stool test called fecal calprotectin which can be helpful in better understanding what's going on.
04-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
wendy1114

The blood is a bright red color. It does have the jelly like liquid and it doesn't appear like his food is even digesting properly. He has taken a regular multivitamin daily for the last few years.

04-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
It could be mucus mixed with blood which could mean one of those sores is an absecess. Maybe a rectal MRI would be a good idea but first back to GI.
04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #8
wendy1114

He did have blood tests done today. They wanted blood out of both of his arms. They did not ask for any sort of stool sample. I wanted to go to the doctor because I do have some medical background and I wanted to know what all he was being tested for but I think he was uncomfortable about the situation and me hearing all about his bowel trouble. Hopefully we will know more in 2 weeks at his follow-up.

04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
AZMOM

My Support Groups:
If request labwork to check for systemic Inflammation and a couple of stool tests. It would. E easy for them to check for hemoccult blood in the stool and there's another stool test called fecal calprotectin that measure inflammation in the GI tract. At least that would let you know if he needed to go back to the GI.

I will say that sores in themselves do not a diagnosis make BUT my daughter did have them on her bottom at diagnosis. Sometimes she gets them when she is flaring as well.

That said, no sores anywhere else on her skin (other than in mouth).

Mom to Claire - 11 going on 17

Dx JRA age 3, Crohn's age 6
Acute transverse myelitis at age 5

Started IVIG September 2016
Started Tacrolimus October 2016
Neurontin 100mg twice daily
Folic Acid
Calcium/D supplement
Daily Vitamin
Daily Probiotic

No more Enbrel, Stelara, Methotrexate, Allopurinal or 6MP
04-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
AZMOM

My Support Groups:
Ugh sorry for all the typos. On cell phone!

04-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Please keep us posted on the results. I hope it's not crohn's for his sake but also hope you figure out what's wrong.
04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
wendy1114

Thank you all for your help. I hope I am just worrying over nothing. I guess that's what happens when you google symptoms and what it could mean. Then I started reading stories on here abd some sounded very similar. I've worked in a hospital and have seen what some of you guys go through and I'm very sorry you have to go through all that. I wish you all and your family members the best of luck and good health to all. Thanks for all of your help and I will post back when I know more.

04-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
wendy1114

I'm also on my phone AZ so I'll forgive your typos if you forgive mine

07-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
wendy1114

It has been a while since my last post but I did just want to update you all on my hubby. His diagnosis did come back as Crohn's disease. A few days after my original post his Doctor ended up sending him to the hospital because all of his blood work was coming back negative ( the doctor was treating him for bacteremia). His team of doctors were all amazing and they knew what was wrong with him within minutes of him being there. They did say the sores were a sign of the Crohn's but all of his signs and symptoms were found in less than 1% of Crohn's disease and that's why his family doctor was thrown off. Thank you all for all of your support and answering my questions previously. I'm sure I will get to know some of you better. I know I will be lurking around a little more.
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. I'm sorry to hear of your husbands DX. But at least you know. Has there been any discussion of treatment.

Sending you both my support.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » I think hubby has crohn's and Dr gave antibiotic