Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 'Normal Biopsies' So frustrated!

04-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
emmabristol

'Normal Biopsies' So frustrated!

Hi all

I posted for the first time about a month ago with regards to my current situation. I had a colonoscopy on 18th March which showed mild inflammation and small ulcers in the ileum.
I have been having many symptoms for quite a few months, bad night sweats, bloating, no appetite, nausea, the usual d, bad pains in stomach, feeling tired alot, no energy and generally feeling ill, amongst other things.

I received my results today after a long 4 weeks of waiting!
In the letter it states that although the camera showed inflammation and small ulcers, the biopsies have come back normal. My stool sample also came back normal. The letter said that the inflammation and ulcers could've been caused by the bowel prep?! But because of these changes they are referring me for an MRI scan of the small bowel. The consultant said she thinks it's IBS and is also referring me to a dietician.

I am really frustrated. I was told many years ago that I had IBS but the way I have been feeling and my symptoms are different to any that I've had before with 'IBS'.

Has anyone else had this? Would just like other peoples opinions please
04-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Kero

My Support Groups:
I know exactly how you feel! I'm in the exact same boat as you. I just don't know what to do anymore. Sending you many ((((hugs))))
04-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Second e

I'm not sure I have the full picture but having biopsies coming back normal is a good thing but that doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong with you.. Well, that's how it is for me anyway. Every test I've ever had came back as normal but eventually they did see inflammation in a CT Scan proving I had Crohns disease. This was after years of being treated for IBS and having everything come back normal. Hang in there. I can completely understand your frustration. It's strange that they suggested the prep could cause ulcers? I thought ulcers took time to appear. I'm still undergoing testing and getting the normal results which drives me a bit nuts at times especially since I'm experiencing some new issues but because I'm labeled with Crohns they don't want to look further. I so hope you get something definitive soon!
04-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry to hear you aren't getting answers...

There are so many possibilities, for example, inflammation from a lot of conditions can be patchy, meaning that it doesnt cover the whole surface. This means that it is possible to take a biopsy from an area that doesn't have inflammation even if there is inflammation in other areas close by. This can make it tricky to pin down a diagnosis. I would think that if there was visible inflammation, then a biopsy taken from that exact patch would show some, even if it is only mild.

I've not really heard of the preps causing inflammation and ulcers , especially not that quickly, but I don't know everything, so I can't really give you any answers there.

IBS doesn't cause inflammation, so id be keen to keep pushing for answers.

I'm glad they have asked for an MRI as it could reveal more severe inflammation further up in the digestive tract which a colonoscopy wouldn't of been able to see.

Trust your body. You know it better than any one and if something doesn't sound right to you then keep pushing.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 'Normal Biopsies' So frustrated!