Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Any Matcha Green Tea Powder Recommendations?

04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Any Matcha Green Tea Powder Recommendations?

Any recommendations out there for good matcha green tea powder?

We all know or have heard of the benefits of green tea: rich in antioxidants, boosts metabolism, regulating the digestive system and that:

Green tea may help reduce inflammation associated with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, the two types of IBD. If green tea proves to help prevent colon cancer, it would also help those with IBD because they are at higher risk for colon cancer.

I heard that matcha is 3x more beneficial than regular green tea because you are drinking powdered leaves wholly instead of simply seeping water through them. I would love to find new ways to incorporate green tea into my diet and am looking into trying out matcha. Are there particular brands that I should stay away from that may not be as natural as others?

Source: Green tea | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...#ixzz2yy2YKlq6

Green Tea Polyphenols and Sulfasalazine have Parallel Anti-Inflammatory Properties in Colitis Models http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23761791

Addressing Inflammatory Bowel Disease http://drhoffman.com/article/address...wel-disease-2/
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

04-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Ali29

My Support Groups:
Hi,

Hibiki-an.com is a Japanese company that makes great tea - I drink the Macha Super Premium, gives me energy and I feel a little better and the flavor is mild and smooth. I tried one I found on Amazon and it was bitter and grassy. They have several different versions/prices. My daughter in law drinks the Do Macha Green Tea which she likes. Seepster.com gives lots of recommendations/ratings on different Macha Teas. There is also a Macha Green Tea cookbook so you can add it to receipes by Kiss Me Organics.

Have a great day!
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.
04-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
theOcean

My Support Groups:
The nicest matcha that I've found is an organic matcha, shironokaori. This website shows what it looks like. I've also used it for baking in the past, but otherwise I'm a tea fiend, too.

If you're interested in teas that help with your body, you might be interested in looking at rooibos tea, too! It has similar benefits to green tea, but also naturally has no caffeine.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
04-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Ali29

My Support Groups:
Thank you - I also have Rooibos tea also - I'll check the website!
04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I've got some good starting points for research now

I have done rooibos tea before but I didn't enjoy the flavor that much (I have also heard that it is an acquired taste for many). If there are other variations of it that are a bit lighter in flavor I would be open to suggestions though. I believe there is a green rooibos tea though I have never tried that blend before.
04-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
theOcean

My Support Groups:
What kind of tea do you usually prefer? I feel like a vanilla rooibos is generally a good introduction to it, and otherwise I've found very nice blends of it with blueberry as well. Otherwise I can see how it might be a bit harsh, though.

04-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Herbal teas are the usual. I also stick to low caffeine teas more often than regular but that is not a strict rule.

Variations of green tea are my favorites. Mint teas and fruit blends (peachand orange are nice. I have also done blueberry tea and love it!) As for something stronger I have developed an interest in ginger teas (though mostly homemade from raw ginger) since crohn's because it helps me so much with my symptoms. I was only recently introduced to vanilla flavored teas and I'm not in love with them yet but I think they are interesting and worth trying again.
04-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Hmm, one of my favourite green teas lately is one by David's Tea called Toasted Walnut. It has walnuts, pineapple, coconut and almond and it smells and tastes heavenly.

I also have a honeydew white tea which is perfect.

I wish I could tolerate ginger! I hear all the time about how good it is, but just find it too strong for me and it's such a shame.

04-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Ali29

My Support Groups:
I'm going to have to try David's Tea - sounds wonderful!
09-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
marquisvdm

I like the Matcha Green Tea Powder you can purchase on Amazon. It is culinary grade and can be used in Lattes, Smoothies and baking. Do a search for "Matcha De Mark" on Amazon.
09-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'll have to look into that one a bit more too. I just ran out of the stuff I bought from a local shop. I don't know the name of it because it is in Mandarin (or at least I THINK it's in Mandarin). Thanks for the recommendations!

I like the Matcha Green Tea Powder you can purchase on Amazon. It is culinary grade and can be used in Lattes, Smoothies and baking. Do a search for "Matcha De Mark" on Amazon.
07-06-2015, 02:42 AM   #12
Andrea_3

Domatcha at wholefoods is great. The Tevana brand is good too. I have drank matcha green tea for several years. My crohns has become more evident as I get older. The last few days I haven't had any matcha and haven't had the chance to pick up more. I have noticed my symptoms worse the past few days I've gone without. Getting it ASAP tomorrow. Don't buy the cheaper ones, not good quality and sometimes not pure matcha. Don't think you're getting pure matcha from places like Starbucks when ordering a green latte. Usually have sweetener and dairy in it. Pure matcha is expensive but I believe in investing in my health! It's worth it to me.
07-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #13
Andrea_3

Also just wanted to add. I went out and purchased matcha finally and only 2 days I was feeling better! I have drank matcha for several years everyday. This is was a major eye opener of exactly how much matcha has helped me! Because those days I went without was pretty intense! I hope more learn about this and try it very soon!
07-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
Ali29

My Support Groups:
I like Hibiki-An from Japan. I like the Organic ceremonial grade. It is also grown far away from the Japanese Radiation Spill. It is very smooth and doesn't need much sugar (unless you like it that way).

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Any Matcha Green Tea Powder Recommendations?