Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Resection Update

04-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Resection Update

Thought I'd post an update, This Thursday will be seven weeks since my left hemicolectomy. I met with the surgeon today for the follow up and got the clearance to go back to work, I am just waiting on my employers medical advisor to review the forms. Feeling well, a lot better than I did before the surgery.

The incision healed really well. I am surprised that the incision is only 10 cm (4 inches long). They removed about a quarter to a third of the transverse colon along with the descending colon and a portion of the sigmoid colon.

Looks like the surgery was done just in time, according to the pathology report the diseased section was beginning to perforate. The margins of the resection were free of disease with normal mucosa. Back to see the GI next month so I am still off the Imuran and Salofalk until then.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
04-16-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Woohoo! What a brilliant update hawkeye!

I am so happy for you that things have gone well and sending you loads of luck that it stays that way for a very long time. Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
04-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Terry

My Support Groups:
Hi Hawkeye, I have to agree with Dustycat, Woohoo! Well done what a great result for you. I am due to have a right hemicolectomy on the 30th of April. I hope I come through as well as you have. Best of luck to you and keep on keeping on! Theresa.
Right Hemicolectomy April 2014
Vitamin B12 injections 3 monthly.
04-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Met with my employer's physician today - going back to work on Tuesday (after the long weekend).

Terry, there is a lot of stories on here in terms of what to expect for a right hemicoloectomy and resection surgery in general. I found the forum was a good resource about what to expect.
04-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's a great update, Hawkeye! Glad to hear you're feeling better! I hope all goes well with you going back to work.
04-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
Terry

My Support Groups:
Thanks Hawkeye, since I found out that I will be having surgery I've spent a lot of time on the forum researching and reading of people like yourself. I have had Crohns since 1988, but I have learnt more in the last 8 months of being part of this forum, than I have in the last 26 years. Good luck with going back to work, I bet it will be nice to have a bit normality back in your life.
05-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had a follow up with my GI last week. Still off the medication and I have a scope booked for late November. My GI mentioned that they typically do a scope 6 to 12 months after a resection, not sure if this is what GI's typically do in this part of the world or if there is some broader research to point to this time frame. In any event, in case I don't run into issues between now and the scope, I'll be off meds until then and depending on what they see with the scope maybe for a while after the scope.
05-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update hawkeye.

Good to hear all is going well! And I surely hope it stays that way!

How do you feel about the med situation?

Dusty. xxx
05-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Dusty -

Not quite sure how I feel about the meds. After taking medication for over the past 23 years the most noticeable thing is not having to take any. I still take a multi vitamin, Vitamin D and fish oil supplements and the GI mentioned that a calcium supplement may be a good idea given the number of times I was prescribed prednisone over the past few years.

Looking back, I credit the azathioprine with keeping me relatively symptom free from about the mid 1990's until 2009.

My theory as to why things started to off the rails in 2009 was that I wasn't being followed by a GI and the azathioprine dosage (75 mg/day) was maybe too low for the body weight to keep things in check. Although I was doing regular bloodwork we didn't have a family doctor either as we had a succession that retired / and gave up their practice (finding a family doctor is a big issue here). Also we transferred to another City in 2009 so the general stress of having a house for sale in a slow market, changing cities and commuting an hour and a half back to our former residence every weekend probably added to things.

I am fine with waiting until November and reevaluating - if I get into trouble between now and then he is only a phone call away - he's really good about that (plus our new family doc is great too, and I live about a 5 minutes drive away from the hospital). I haven't researched what the effects are of going off azathioprine and then going back on it - i.e. is it just as effective or less effective the second / subsequent time around, but my first choice would be to go back on 5-ASA and azathioprine if i need medication. I'd take this as a first choice over Humira / Remicade.
05-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Terry

My Support Groups:
Hi Hawkeye, I was also told by my GI that I would have to have a colonoscopy 6 to 8 months after having a right hemicolectomy. I saw my surgeon last week for the first follow up since I was operated on and asked him if he agreed with me having a scope done in that time frame, and he said yes that was what they usually do. I am also not on any meds and sincerely I hope I stay that way. The surgeon just told me to take 2 Imodium each day to help bulk things up. I can live with that. Wishing you the best. Theresa.
05-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Sending loads of luck and healing thoughts your way hawkeye.

Dusty. xxx
05-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
My nephew takes azathioprine for lupus. He has been on it for months at a time, off for years, and back on it several times with no lesser effect than the last time he used it.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
11-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Another update - went in for the colonoscopy today. The GI saw no active Crohn's and the surgery area looked good.

Not sure if the blood work results from 2 weeks ago or the Fecal Calprotectin test from last week were in but now when they'll get in I'll have some blood work and fecal cal. numbers to compare and correlate with a good scope.

I am still off all Crohn's medication and go back to see the GI in a year, unless there is something (major) in the biopsies or something comes up before then. The second and final follow up with the surgeon is next month - it was originally for earlier in the fall but it was postponed.
11-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update hawkeye!

So fab to hear that all looks well!

Sending loads and loads of luck that the pathology matches up with the scope.
Please keep us posted.

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Resection Update