Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Accepting my life with a permanent colostomy

04-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
ladyj

Accepting my life with a permanent colostomy

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 15 years ago. it didnt become active until 2008. i developed fistulas and was in and out of the hospital every month. thats when i had my first surgery getting a temporary ilieostomy. after 3 months had it reversed. three months after that i was back in the hospital with yet another fistula that burst after getting first round of humira. i then had my secound surgery having another temporary ilieostomy which left me dehydrated. had a pic line inserted for iv fluid at home. after 7 months was reversed. all was going well. i started taking cimzia. it has helped. sometime after i started developing bowel incognitence. it was so severe that i had to wear adult diapers. the muscle was completley dead. 5 moths ago i had surgery again. had a temporary colostomy which left me with a very bad skin infection at the stoma site. 1 month ago i had it re positioned. this time the colostomy is permanent. i am coming to terms in accepting the fact that there is no turning back. but I look at it this way. just like a person who has lost a limb they are fitted with a prostetic limb. I see my colostomy as my prostetic.
04-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Wow you have been through so much. You certainly tried to reverse and succeed but unfortunately it sounds like the disease was too aggressive. Hopefully with a permanent you can live a normal life without these problems.
04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
ladyj

Wow you have been through so much. You certainly tried to reverse and succeed but unfortunately it sounds like the disease was too aggressive. Hopefully with a permanent you can live a normal life without these problems.
Yes I have but I now have a better quality of life.
04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
As unwanted as the ostomy is, thankfully you now have quality of life restored.
04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
mallowpufft

Ouch, that sounds like an unpleasant experience. At least now you've got your quality of life back.
04-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
ladyj

Ouch, that sounds like an unpleasant experience. At least now you've got your quality of life back.
Yes thank god. I am still healing but getting on with everyday life.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Accepting my life with a permanent colostomy