• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD Low fiber/residue?

Ok this question is for those of you on the SCD diet. While you know you're flaring (cramping, pain, etc) What do you eat? It's already tough on the SCD diet to manage a diet but if you want to do a low residue it limits it even more! Any thoughts?

I've been doing a lot of tropical fruits like melons and pineapple along with chicken, fish and eggs and barely any veggies (if i do they're cooked)

Thanks!

hey guitarist & welcome!

i was on the SCD for a couple months last year. i ran into a similar problem as you though- it was too restrictive. i was flaring badly and losing too much weight and decided to stop so that i could pack in as many calories as possible without restriction.

well, i would say that youre doing a pretty good job at making it low residue yourself.
maybe some soups made out of purreed veggies would be good, i had that a couple of times and it is gentle on the tummy.
basically you wanna make baby food out of everything! lol just cook stuff enough that it is mushy and add some butter and salt and its tasty! i do that with zuchinni squash right now as i am on low residue and its delicous. add some cheese too yum :)
you can do that with any veggie.

heres a recipie for mini quiches that i made a lot too (its actually from the south beach diet but is totally SCD legal!)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetable-Quiche-Cups-to-Go/detail.aspx
omit the veggies and use bacon or some other meat and cheese. or put in very well cooked vegs. (i also used real eggs instead of egg substitute)

how about nut butters? not sure what you could put them on, but theyre good and high in protein.

also be careful about the different nut flours while youre trying to be low residue. i found that some brands end up cooking up just like crushed nuts, the bread, cake, cookies, whatever will be crunchy in texture. not so easy on the system, in fact, it came out the other end almost the same way it went in LOL.
make sure the brand you use is a fine grind and that it cooks up smoothly.
here's a bakery that sells all kinds of baked goods:
http://www.scdbakery.com/
and also heres an online store that sells all kinds of nut flour as well as treats and breads and stuff, i found the cookies to be very much like real cookies, not crunchy at all!:
http://www.digestivewellness.com/
i recommend the hazelnut blondies :)

ok well thats all i can think of for now, if anything else comes to mind ill come back!
good luck and welcome again!

Wow! That's some great info you gave me there! Thanks so much for the reply. All those things look so tasty.

Except I probably should have mentioned I have a nut sensitivity as well as a slight lactose intolerance... It really limits me which sucks. I can have some cheese n stuff like that no problem, but the nuts are really off limits. Especially when I'm flaring. Double bad stuff!

I'm definitely going to try the quiche and some pureed veggie soup. Those sound uber tasty. I know how you felt on the SCD. I am eating a TON of fruit and packing the protein in. Until I try the right meds (hopefully LDN will work for me better than the Remi -- fingers seriously crossed!) SCD is a tough one to nail down.

oh man, having a nut allergy and trying to be on the SCD is a double whammy. theres so much that can be made using nut flours as a substitute. thats rough!

how long have you been on it? have you started to feel better or anything? i know thats a hard question to answer though lol, i still dont know if it helped me or not. maybe i was too sick to have diet make a difference who knows.

oh yeah one of my other favorite foods was the pizza recipie out of the book. you have the "breaking the vicious cycle" book right? or read it? the pizza is SO good, i crave it even now! only problem is the crust is made with zuchinni squash....i remember it not digesting very well. hmm. but it was soo good mmm. maybe its worth a try.

i think i have a folder somewhere on my comp that has all my SCD recipies and sites in it. ill look around for it if you want. have you done a lot of searching on the web? if you have, im sure that youve probably come across most of it already. theres not too much info out there about it unfortunately!

I honestly think I am just too sick for a diet to make a difference right now. Sometimes I feel better. Sometimes I don't. It's a rollercoaster. My "diet/holistic" doc wants me to follow the SCD diet along with LDN and VSL#3. I am getting the prescriptions next week. Yeah, the nut allergy has been rough along the course of my life, especially with candy bars! Oh well no more of that right? ;)

I had been following more of a Paleolithic diet since January and even when I cheat and eat rice it never seems to bother me. Other things seem to. It's really hard to tell! I'm starting a food journal which is a pain in the arse...

I read the Gotschall diet book and The Paleo Diet book as well. It's getting expensive and hard to follow so I'm thinking about giving up if the LDN and VSL#3 are not effective (I REALLY hope they are though).

I've done some searching but I'll do some more. You are right, there's not a lot out there. That's why I came here.

I tried the SDC for 2 months, and although it helped and I was only having a mild flare, I lost lots of weight and was very weak on it with many restrictions so I gave it up.

I guess if you are flaring bad , diet alone cannot help. Diet usually works when you have a mild flare or remssion and then hopefully keep you in remission. For a stronger flare you may need some strong stuff like prednisone to calm things down.

Hope the LDN and VSL#3 help. Good Luck

Yeah I eat a TON otherwise I know I'd lose weight. You're right though, when I'm flaring like this, diet just doesn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks Mazen!

Hey AVS

What's the update on LDN and VSL#3?

I haven't been feeling well lately (a mild continuous flare; dull pain, weakness, no appetite, some joint pain) so I'm going back on SCD. Just started today with the Intro diet (mainly boiled eggs, chicken carrrot soup, some yoghurt and cheese). Hope it works again this time. Still have to figure out how to gain weight on it!! Unfortunately LDN and VSL#3 are no option for me since they are not available in my country. My doctor wants me to try Remi, but I'm still postponing it for now.

I'm also still taking: Pentasa 3g, Fish oil (1500 mg combined EPA/DHA), and SCD multivitamin

Last edited:
Are you sure LDN is not available? In our country, I can get almost any drug. Legally or illegally, it does not matter to me. I can get LDN from overseas and compound it myself or a prescription. I can get pain killers, automatic weapons, anything short of a shoulder fired missile, if I try hard enough. I have not yet needed to do any of this, but I am aware of methods of procuring most things , if needed.

Certainly, we are not the only country with gaping holes in the law. Of course it helps if you are a bit of a criminal to begin with.

Hey Mazen. I truly believe both are helping. I am taking 3-4 VSL #3 per day since my Crohn's is active.

It hasn't even been two weeks yet so it's still a little hard to tell, but I'm going to give it as much time as it takes! I am also doing a lot of exercise which I know for a fact (at least in my case) helps keep my Crohn's under control.

My SCD diet consists of a very high protein (I eat my body weight in grams of protein) and lots of low fiber fruit with some mild cooked veggies. It's very low residue.

You can at least order VSL online. Will they not ship to Beirut?

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys.

Dan: I may be able to get the generic LDN, but then how can I compound it myself and is it safe?

As for VSL#3, I'll try to check ordering it online.

D Bergy said:
Are you sure LDN is not available? In our country, I can get almost any drug. Legally or illegally, it does not matter to me. I can get LDN from overseas and compound it myself or a prescription. I can get pain killers, automatic weapons, anything short of a shoulder fired missile, if I try hard enough. I have not yet needed to do any of this, but I am aware of methods of procuring most things , if needed.

Certainly, we are not the only country with gaping holes in the law. Of course it helps if you are a bit of a criminal to begin with.
Can you help me procure a tommy gun? I have this trench coat and fedora that are going to waste.