• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal Ibd vs Ibs

my little penguin

Staff member
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Fecal calprotectin is a non-invasive test that helps clinicians distinguish between organic inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and functional disorder (irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS), according to new research from the UK.

Fecal calprotectin (FC) is a cytosolic protein released by neutrophils in response to inflammation.

It has 87% negative predictive value to exclude IBD, and cutoffs less than 250 micrograms/gram had 90% sensitivity to determine remission in IBD. Once frozen, FC is stable, and the ELISA monoclonal plates were broadly comparable, the authors reported online March 17 in Frontline Gastroenterology.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823641?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=185734DZ

Fecal Calprotectin Distinguishes Between Organic Disease and Functional Disorder
By Lorraine L. Janeczko
April 16, 2014

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It would still be beneficial in determining the difference between IBD and IBS if when in remission you have normal FC levels.

If you have concurrent diagnoses then should symptoms arise it would help to isolate if Crohn’s was the primary contributor to them. If FC is normal then you may fall back to IBS being the culprit. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule but in most cases FC is within normal limits with IBS and with those that are above normal the levels are in the low range.

If however you have persistently elevated levels of FC when in remission then you would have to work off what is the new ‘normal’ range and take that as your baseline of disease activity. If it remains constant and IBS type symptoms are present then again you would likely fall back to IBS being the problem.

Dusty. xxx

I just saw our GI 10 minutes ago. She confirmed you can completely have both, and many people do. My kid potentially might be one of them.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has been diagnosed with both. She's figured out how to distinguish between the Crohn's pain and the IBS pain. She's currently in remission though, so no pain at the moment!

DS also been told he has both. Apparently all current symptoms are IBS not IBD. Change in his diet is to help IBS! We're a little unsure of this however, ulcers, fatigue, upset tummy, sore eyes etc, sounds like IBD to us!!!!