Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Anal Abscess Not Healing?

04-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
mdgerri

Anal Abscess Not Healing?

Hi Everybody,

Haven't been diagnosed for Crohn's or IBS but have suspected it. Had a terrible hemorrhoid a few months ago then when it went away it was followed by a perianal abscess, was in so much pain and the doctor drained it by hand. Now two weeks on I still have a steady flow of drainage each day on gauze. However every time I make a BM i am in excruciating pain the rest of the day. The doctor said that sometimes I would have to keep draining it myself by squeezing the abscess.

I am wondering what I should do to help it heal though, as I am afraid keeping squeezing it will only hurt the healing and the scar tissue?, but I also wonder how long it should be draining for, 2,3,4 + weeks?

Should I be manually pushing and squeezing it to make it drain more if it is already draining by itself?

When the abscess first came I could not sit it was so painful and now I can not stand sometimes it is painful (After BM) so I am not sure what is the best course to take to heal.

Thanks for all your concern
04-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #2
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Cleaning it thoroughly helps a lot with the pain. After BMs I use a squirt bottle to help clean it better, and also additionally wet wipes.

Sitz baths are really good both for pain and promoting healing. It also helps the abscess drain.

We have a subforum under surgery for abscesses that you can check out, as well!
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
04-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Also: is it an abscess you have or a fistula? Because depending on that the time to heal and way to treat it varies.
04-19-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
mdgerri

It was diagnosed an abscess, so not sure and "fingers crossed" that its not a fistula, but I am afraid that putting too much pressure on it will slow its healing, if it is draining it should fully drain itself naturally right?
04-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I dealt with a fistula rather than just an abscess, but I'd think if you did daily sitz baths with epsom salts it would be a much less irritating way of helping your abscess drain!

Has your GI talked about doing an MRI to confirm that it's not a fistula? Or would that be the next step? Also: are you on antibiotics to help kill the bacteria?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Anal Abscess Not Healing?