• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hot Flashes and Imuran

Reese's Imuran was just increased about a week ago. Beginning yesterday she has had several hot spells. Cold water helps, but could the Imuran be causing this?

theOcean

I get hot spells regardless of medication, and find it has more to do with bowel movements. (I get what feels like a flash fever when I need to pass one.) There is a warning to keep an eye out for fever (or chills), though, so keep an eye on her!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
We haven’t had any issues like that with Imuran and as far as I am aware it isn’t something I have seen crop up on here but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the cause of your girl’s hot flushes. :ghug:

How is Reese’s Crohn’s going generally?

When is she due to have bloods drawn again?

Dusty. xxx

Hi DustyKat! Reese's Crohn's seems pretty under control for the most part. At the last blood draw, roughly 2 weeks ago, it showed she is still anemic and her 6MP levels were only at 185. The doctor wants them over 230, so we increased the Imuran. We test again in 5 weeks. She did finally put some weight on (5 lbs), but has stalled since about 6 weeks ago.

Maybe the hot flashes are due to her fighting off a bug or something. She had a good night's rest and was in good spirits this morning.

My girl did have hot flashes at one point. Oddly enough we discovered she was actually having fevers. I always assumed fevers gave you chills but my daughter apparently likes to mix things up a bit, lol.

crohnsinct

O got some serious hot flashes in school a while back We told the GI about them and he wasn't to concerned. Her Crohns was in good control at the time. She isn't on Imuran but rather Remicade. He swore it wasn't the drug and had no clues as to what it could be. Weird hormone thing? They lasted about a week or two and mysteriously went away.

Cupkatemom, does your daughter actually get a fever with the hot flashes? I'd be most concerned if she runs an actual fever, and if they happen in a regular pattern... Like within a couple hours of taking the med ach time. My son was getting very high fevers while on Imuran. We ended up switching him to MTX.

No actual fever - I keep feeling her and she is cool. She was quite stuffy this morning so I wonder if her body is trying to fight off another sinus infection. We just completed a round of antibiotics.