Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 17 year old diagnosed- my story

04-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
kylej03

17 year old diagnosed- my story

Hi everyone. I'm 17 years old (turn 18 next week) and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis two weeks ago. It's been a little bit of a shock and it is all still a big unknown to me. Admittedly, my girlfriend broke it off with me about the same time my symptoms started (about 6 weeks ago), which has not helped. I'm taking 4 Lialda a day, as well as trying a gluten and dairy free diet. I also avoiding greasy foods and sugar as much as I can, but I admit I am still eating too much sugar. I'm looking forward to achieving a normal life again and excited to check out the rest of forum!
04-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
Good luck!! I went gluten free until I found out my issue wasnt ceoliac disease. Im lactose intolerant and have GERD so I avoid the grease too. Sugar is hard but fruit is a great alternative(sometimes to acidicy). I avoid caffeine, carbonated beverages, processed foods, and red meats as well. Its hard to avoid so much food when its all delicious... sometimes I give in. Right now Im not following anything and Im rebelling and paying for it but its because I have yet to be diagnosed and its getting really hard to deal with, Im trying to make my symtoms show more so I can have a good excuse for when I go to the ER.
04-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone. I'm 17 years old (turn 18 next week) and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis two weeks ago. It's been a little bit of a shock and it is all still a big unknown to me. Admittedly, my girlfriend broke it off with me about the same time my symptoms started (about 6 weeks ago), which has not helped. I'm taking 4 Lialda a day, as well as trying a gluten and dairy free diet. I also avoiding greasy foods and sugar as much as I can, but I admit I am still eating too much sugar. I'm looking forward to achieving a normal life again and excited to check out the rest of forum!
Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid that when you're first diagnosed it's a bit of a learning experience. In fact, even though this year will be 18 years for me since I was first diagnosed I am still learning. I want you to feel free to ask questions on here. We have a Ulcerative Colitis area here on the forum. We also have a chat room on here as well. Even if there's nobody there, go ahead & type on there and someone will respond. The best place I think for you right now is our teen age and young adult support groups. There are many like you on there as well and I'm sure you'll be comfortable right away. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
04-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum! I was originally diagnosed at 19 with Ulcerative Colitis, though that diagnosis recently changed to Crohn's. My first flare was also caused by relationship problems -- getting unwanted attention from some people interested in me and not knowing how to deal with it, and taking all the stress to my stomach.

Try keeping a food diary and seeing which foods affect you, since it's definitely different for everyone. I hope you're feeling better soon!
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
04-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Hi Kyle,

My son was almost 17 when he was diagnosed, he's now 19. Once he began treatment and moved into remission, all has been good for him. He's been on remicade for just over a year now. And, he's just ended his first year of university (away from home), played hockey/soccer, went to clubs/parties, ate junk food, etc. For the most part, crohns hasn't stopped him from doing things he likes to do.

He does avoid seeds, pieces of nuts (ie smooth peanutbutter is fine) and popcorn but, all else seems to be fine. He takes krill oil (anti-inflammatory) and vit D as supplements and drinks 1-2 Boost shakes per day (to maintain nutrition).

Lots of great members here and always willing to share their advice and knowledge!!

Good luck - hope all gets back to normal for you soon!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » 17 year old diagnosed- my story