• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

my story is, i have had crohns disease for the last 24 years, i had an agressive form in the large bowel and had an ileostomy within a year. i have been on imuran ever since. i have got on with life and have had many trips to a and e throughtout my life, also had a couple of surgeries adhesions etc since, i have dealt with all of this but since christmas last year i have 2 trips to hospital with palpitations on one admission and only recently with severe chest pain etc, all tests reveal no heart issues and no blood clots etc, but doctors explained i had this paticular blood test a diamond test which i understand little of showed a count of 1000, normal count 100 approx.i asked about this and they said it could be inflamatory, i aslo asked about link to imuran use and heart issues, response poor, i intend making an appointment for a private consult as i am a public patient and have no private cover so hard to see team. any advice welcome.thank you. jd.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there, welcome to the forum

Im sorry I've only just seen your post..

I've not taken imuran myself, but I have researched it as a possible treatment option for the future, and I don't remember seeing anything about heart complications, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, it may be that it's rare and not reported much or maybe under documented.

I've never heard of the diamond blood test before, so I looked it up but couldn't find any relevant information. Most of what I could find related to a rare form of anaemia, which seems pretty unlikely to be what you are dealing with. If you want to know more about it I can give you a few links, but I really don't think it'll be much help.

If it's any consolation to you.. I have recurrent tachycardia, my heart will randomly develop a faster than normal rythem, with no warning, sometimes I can feel it (palpitations) and sometimes I can't. I have had some chest pain with it, and I've been told that this is probably because the heart muscle is working harder than normal, and just like when you over use your leg or arm muscles, this makes it tired and can cause it to ache. It's not serious, and just means I have to be aware if I'm going to do cardio exercise, but it can be scary when you aren't expecting it.

If I were you, I'd consider asking them to let you wear a small heart monitor for 24 hours while you go about your day to day tasks, this will allow them to track your heart rate and work out if there's any sort of pattern.

I hope this helps.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. One of the common mineral deficiencies for people with Crohn's disease is magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can lead to the heart symptoms you describe. My suggestion would be to explore this potentiality with your doctor.

All my best to you.

I get chest pains frequently which I associate with crohns. I started taking folic acid which seems to have helped. You need a full blood count and urine test to see if you have any deficiencies. I have been on Aziathropine for 4 years and I don't seem to have any side effects.

I've never heard of cardiac issues with Imuran but agree that that doesn't mean it can't happen or that you're not having a totally separate issue.
Hopefully you can get a full work up without issues with coverage!

The chest pains I've experienced are due to severe indigestion. I take in bottles of Zantac 150 at a time and it does the job.