Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group

04-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
RenGen

My Support Groups:
Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group

About this Support Group

For those who suffer with both Crohn's Disease and GERD.

Members

aideen33's Avatar aideen33, American Wolf, Ann Morgan, Aos, apopolizio's Avatar apopolizio, a_woman, BellaVita's Avatar BellaVita, blackli, bookchick, carrollco's Avatar carrollco, Casey Baudelaire, ce1210's Avatar ce1210, cheryl888's Avatar cheryl888, chickadees's Avatar chickadees, Christi, curlywurly, deborah123johnston, DougUte's Avatar DougUte, Droopy Drawers's Avatar Droopy Drawers, Easton, elo.smith, FrozenGirl's Avatar FrozenGirl, GreenwichUK's Avatar GreenwichUK, Hattie95's Avatar Hattie95, hezekiahsmom's Avatar hezekiahsmom, jamie.mckevitt's Avatar jamie.mckevitt, JenS's Avatar JenS, JoFowler's Avatar JoFowler, jonique's Avatar jonique, jpaige7's Avatar jpaige7, Kitch, Kvanbeek, malissaamillia's Avatar malissaamillia, Momoftwo's Avatar Momoftwo, nogutsnoglory's Avatar nogutsnoglory, Noonie's Avatar Noonie, Pacerdhs, pomegranite14, RenGen's Avatar RenGen, ronroush7's Avatar ronroush7, southwow, Stevi (:'s Avatar Stevi (:, sue2003, teeny5's Avatar teeny5, UnXmas's Avatar UnXmas, zHassanz's Avatar zHassanz

Last edited by RenGen; 04-26-2014 at 03:17 PM.
04-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
I am not diagnosed with Crohn's, but I do have gerd... What are your issues with it? My doctor wants to do a procedure on me because I pretty much have no lower esophageal sphincter. thats what it is... http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/...x-disease-gerd I am currently getting more tests done..i think i have Crohns.
04-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
RenGen

My Support Groups:
My issues with GERD are reflux, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, burping, regurgitation, Barrett's Esophagus, and a Hiatal Hernia.

What procedure might you have done?

I want to have a surgery for GERD, but due to the recent diagnosis with Crohn's, a GI doctor that I saw said a planned GI surgery could complicate things more, due to my GI issues. I also have Gastroparesis and Gastritis.
04-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
he wants to take my stomach and wrap it around my esophagus... I have chronic gastritis and some sort of esophagitis. I didnt know nausea was related to gerd.. i deal with that all the time. I heard hernia is bad but i know theres people here who have it...My surgery is also pending because i need more results working on a pill cam appointment.. I regurgitate, get heart burn have chest pains belch its not fun but you get used to it! :/
04-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
RenGen

My Support Groups:
The Nissen Fundoplication surgery. I know of that one. I hope you can have all the tests and have the surgery done.

My nausea could be related to Crohn's, GERD, Gastroparesis, or Gastritis. So I include it when I mention my GERD symptoms. Very hard to tell them all apart.

Oh it's so hard to get used to GERD problems. :-(
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
I complained of heartburn on a regular basis since i was five... Honestly i think my gerd because i have no esophageal sphincter and i really think it was a birth defect...just didn't get an endoscopy til now and im 20. All i do is eat rolaids and stay away from the greasy and spicy foods... I know i should do more for it but i haven't found a heartburn med that works as good as Rolaids yet. As for the gastritis I have no clue how to tell what pain its causing me I honestly didnt expect to have it.
04-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
The things im having trouble getting used to is my persistent diarrhea for 4 months and my abdominal pain and my failure to digest my food right... oh and extreme bloating and discomfort after every meal...is that possibly gastritis?
04-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
RenGen

My Support Groups:
It could be. I'm not sure what my Gastritis symptoms are, since I have so many GI problems.

I have a Facebook group for GERD. If you're on Facebook, you're welcome to join. The link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/461651960520331/
04-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have Gerd and it was being somewhat controlled by nexium but now I'm searching for a solution again.
04-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Stevi (:

My Support Groups:
I hope you find it :/ I dont want to be on constant medication for my gerd so i just avoid grease and spice and when i have symptoms i eat rolaids and drink almond milk... it just soothes the esophagus really. i have tried zantac and omeprazole, but they dont feel like they help... i still end up wanting rolaids and drinking milk
04-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
RenGen

My Support Groups:
I have Gerd and it was being somewhat controlled by nexium but now I'm searching for a solution again.
There are many PPI's. I'm on a very high dose of generic Aciphex. 80 MG/day. It seems to be the only PPI that helps me.
04-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #12
BellaVita

My Support Groups:
I have GERD too, and take Omeprazole 20mg x2 a day.
04-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Droopy Drawers

My Support Groups:
There are many PPI's. I'm on a very high dose of generic Aciphex. 80 MG/day. It seems to be the only PPI that helps me.

Ditto the generic Aciphex for me
I have taken every ppi on the market & even the Aciphex is failing me lately
I need to ask the Gastro about increasing my dose, but have to steel myself for the battle with the insurance company
04-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
RenGen

My Support Groups:
Ditto the generic Aciphex for me
I have taken every ppi on the market & even the Aciphex is failing me lately
I need to ask the Gastro about increasing my dose, but have to steel myself for the battle with the insurance company
It took my insurance a LONG time for them to cover the high dose of Aciphex! And I mean a LONG time... like four months! But they finally covered it. I hope you find relief.
04-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
RenGen

My Support Groups:
I have GERD too, and take Omeprazole 20mg x2 a day.
Does that medication help you?
04-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
carrollco

My Support Groups:
I have chronic gerd, hiatal hernia, and gastritis. I had duodenitis, and lastly illeitis. The illeitis and duodenitis have improved w/Remicade as has Crohn's. I have tried going without Prilosec, but the gastritis returns. Fruit sets it off. Grape juice for sure.

Previous Meds:

Methotrexate--had kidney/liver damage
Lialda--allergic to aspirin--but didn't know until my Crohn's got much worse.
Prednisone--only when I have to!
04-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
Droopy Drawers

My Support Groups:
Grape & cherry juice both kill me
04-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
carrollco

My Support Groups:
I love grape juice. *sigh*

06-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #19
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
So I bought the new Nexium OTC which is half the dose of the prescription I took but it is helping me.

What I don't get is why it's a 14 day course, if I can take prescription strength daily why can I only take the OTC for 2 weeks?
06-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
LodgeLady

Since my gall bladder was removed my GERD got a lot worse. Upped my Protonix to 40 mg x 2/day and that has taken care of the problem.

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

06-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
FrozenGirl

Gerd was actually diagnosed for me before my UC. Not too bad now but if I eat spicy food I have to prepare for not being able to lay down all night.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
06-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
ce1210

My Support Groups:
I take 40 mg of omeprazole a day and it helps my heartburn tremendously. I have been trying to go down to 20 mg and every time I do I end up eating rolaids at some point during the day...
06-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
ce1210

My Support Groups:
I hope you find it :/ I dont want to be on constant medication for my gerd so i just avoid grease and spice and when i have symptoms i eat rolaids and drink almond milk... it just soothes the esophagus really. i have tried zantac and omeprazole, but they dont feel like they help... i still end up wanting rolaids and drinking milk
omeprazole didnt work for me completely until I started taking 40 mg and it took it like a week to REALLY kick in so maybe that could help, also i know this is odd, but almond milk gives me awful rebound heartburn lol...
08-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
Ann Morgan
Okay, so GERD has some connection to Ulcerative Colitis ? I have had Acid Reflux for many years now. I was on Aciphex quite a few years ago, then on Nexium ( which was expensive) and I even took the over-the-counter Prilosec. Several years ago my health insurance plan quit covering all of the acid reflux/gerd prescription medications ! So for an entire year I took over-the-counter Prilosec ( which is only supposed to be taken for 14 days in a row ). I have now been taking Pantoprazole/Protonics 40mg once a day for a very long time and I am doing very well on this dose and this medication. I have had to totally eliminate alcohol from my life because it gives me the nastiest acid reflux attack ( terrible ). I try to avoid things like tomato sauces. On occasion if I find I need a little extra help with the gerd symptoms, I will just take one Extra Strength Gaviscon tablet. Gaviscon works way better than just Tums or Rolaids. I have not had an acid reflux attack in a very, very long time. But why, if I am getting a generic for Protonics, is it still expensive ? I don't get that part.
08-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #25
LodgeLady

Okay, so GERD has some connection to Ulcerative Colitis ? I have had Acid Reflux for many years now. I was on Aciphex quite a few years ago, then on Nexium ( which was expensive) and I even took the over-the-counter Prilosec. Several years ago my health insurance plan quit covering all of the acid reflux/gerd prescription medications ! So for an entire year I took over-the-counter Prilosec ( which is only supposed to be taken for 14 days in a row ). I have now been taking Pantoprazole/Protonics 40mg once a day for a very long time and I am doing very well on this dose and this medication. I have had to totally eliminate alcohol from my life because it gives me the nastiest acid reflux attack ( terrible ). I try to avoid things like tomato sauces. On occasion if I find I need a little extra help with the gerd symptoms, I will just take one Extra Strength Gaviscon tablet. Gaviscon works way better than just Tums or Rolaids. I have not had an acid reflux attack in a very, very long time. But why, if I am getting a generic for Protonics, is it still expensive ? I don't get that part.
I too am on Protonix (generic). I had to increase my dose from 40mg/once a day to 40mg/twice a day. I had my gallbladder removed and it really did a number on my reflux. Why don't you try and up your dose?
08-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I figured I should join this group. I don't think a doctor has ever said to me that I have "GERD", but it's pretty much taken for granted. I definitely have every symptom of it, except burping, and my endoscopies always show evidence of inflammation caused by reflux. I taste food coming back up, I get heartburn pain, and it feels like food gets stuck in my chest. I am diagnosed with gastroparesis too, and I think the symptoms overlaps a lot. The atypical thing about my GERD, though, is that it comes on randomly. It is more likely to come on in the evening, but some evenings it's not bad at all. The only food to consistently provoke it is potatoes - especially mashed potatoes. Other than that, it's random. And no medications seem to help at all.
08-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #27
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I also have a question: have any of you unintentionally lost weight because of GERD? Does it interfere with your ability to eat enough, or put you off eating to the extent that you've lost weight?

I'm having a gastric emptying study soon, and wondering if this will assess GERD as well as gastroparesis. Something causes me to feel way too full on little amounts of food.
09-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #28
Ann Morgan
UnXmas: I have had acid reflux for several years and I take a prescription drug called Protonics ( Pantoprazole ). It really works for me. I couldn't live without it. Several years ago I would get horrible acid reflux attacks. I take one pill each morning. If I DO eat something like tomato sauce or something like that, I also may take one Extra Strength Gaviscon tablet. The Gaviscon is way better than any other over the counter anti-acid I have tried. My neighbor here at my apartment complex is having an endoscopy soon. She said she has GERD. She sounds like she has almost lost her voice ! I never had a voice like hers when I was suffering with the acid reflux before taking prescription medication. I don't know why her voice is like that. It just doesn't seem normal for her to almost completely lose her voice ?
09-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #29
Ann Morgan
Oh, yeah, I forgot that I also took Nexium a while back, that is a prescription medication, but it got too expensive. I also took Prilosec at one time , that is over the counter. And in the very beginning I took another prescription drug but I cannot remember the name of it.
09-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #30
Ann Morgan
So I bought the new Nexium OTC which is half the dose of the prescription I took but it is helping me.

What I don't get is why it's a 14 day course, if I can take prescription strength daily why can I only take the OTC for 2 weeks?
I used to wonder the same thing ! On television they advertise these over the counter reflux medicines but I don't think people read the small print on the bottom of the screen where it says to only use it for 14 days in a row. A few years back my insurance company quit covering the acid reflux medications for a year and so I had to take over the counter during that time. I think I took Prilosec. Even though it was over the counter, I did not think the Prilosec was cheap at all. I now take Protonics ( Pantoprazole ) prescription.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group