Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group

09-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #31
aideen33

My Support Groups:
I have GERD, probably due in part to pyloric stenosis. I also have asthma so super important to control it.

Here is my issue and hope someone can advise

Doc put me on nexium which does work to control the acid, however it seems to be contributing to the already problematic D from my Crohns. Have any of you had this issue and is it better for you on a different medication?
Dx'ed (June '14) Crohn's colitis w/ possible small bowel involvement, Pyloric Stenosis. Asthma, Multiple allergies, pre-diabetic, unexplained tachycardia, hypertension, restless leg, and pos. ANA, waiting for rheum. referral for possible lupus
Meds: Azathioprine, Methyprednisolone, metoprolol ER, Lomotil, Tramadol, Protonix, flexeril, ropinirole, farxiga, vits D, b12, biotin, fish oil, glucosamine
09-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #32
Kitch

My Support Groups:
Hi....new to this forum.....I have crohns and rhuematoid arthritis ....some of my meds for rhuematoid work for crohns like methotrexate and sulfasalazine. I tried cimzia but it gave me a very very sore neck and didn't really help my Rhuematoid ......I think I'm in a crohns flare......having a colonoscopy next wk....I have a very tender burning feeling on my rib cage, wondered if anyone else experienced this.
09-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #33
Kitch

My Support Groups:
Hi....new to this forum.....I have crohns and rhuematoid arthritis ....some of my meds for rhuematoid work for crohns like methotrexate and sulfasalazine. I tried cimzia but it gave me a very very sore neck and didn't really help my Rhuematoid ......I think I'm in a crohns flare......having a colonoscopy next wk....I have a very tender burning feeling on my rib cage, wondered if anyone else experienced this.
09-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #34
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I also have GERD. I take 40mg Omeprazole which mashed me forget about it so it must be working. Just thought I should join this group.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
09-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
deborah123johnston

My Support Groups:
ive been doing gaps diet for ten months and havnt seen much improvement yet...my practitioner told me not to take my imuran as this will stop healing...my doctor told me he wont send for me again if i dont take the imuran...i feel confused.anyone ever been in this situation and what did you do.....
11-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #36
Ann Morgan
I have had acid reflux for several years now. I had my gallbladder out in 1995 ( does this have anything to do with acid reflux ). I take Pantaprozole 40mg each morning. It really does work for me and I don't think I could live without it. If I occasionally eat something with a lot of acid in it ( spaghetti sauce ) then I will also take one Extra Strength Gaviscon. With some foods that I occasionally eat I will end up burping up the food all day long. I have not had a bad acid reflux attack since I starting taking prescription medication for it.
12-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #37
Ann Morgan
Hey, it is me AGAIN ! Okay, is acid reflux and Gerd the same thing ? I have been taking pantoprazole for my Gerd for quite a while, but I think in the beginning I took something else.

I saw something that unxmas wrote in August and I was just going to say that I have to eat smaller meals through out the day, I have to eat small amounts of food at one sitting and I have to chew my food really well before I swallow it. I also prefer that my food just be around room temperature. I don' t like to eat really hot food or really cold food. And I absolutely cannot have a hot dinner, then eat some cold ice cream.
That is all for now.
12-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #38
aideen33

My Support Groups:
As I understand it, and i might be wrong, GERD is the term for the chronic experiencing of acid reflux.
my dx is GERD at this point, i stick to nothing too spicy or acidic, small meals, temperature can get to me.... I tried nexium but it tended to worsen the diarrhea (the LAST thing i need), and my primary has me on omeprazole (or was and about to start again)
12-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #39
Ann Morgan
Bummer, I cannot drink alcoholic beverages at all because of my acid reflux. I was not a big drinker before I had to quit drinking, but it sure would be nice to have a cocktail every once in a while. : - )
12-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #40
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I was just thinking part of my problem is I lay down most of the day and I eat and lay down. I have chronic fatigue so I am not working and mainly couch ridden. I don't know how to combat this. I am trying to stay upright after eating but it's hard for me to stay propped up and my incline pillow hurts.
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #41
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I've never found lying down makes a difference to my reflux. I know the law of gravity says it should, but my body doesn't seem to follow laws like that.

What kind of couch do you have, nogutsnoglory? I have a very wide armchair that I nap in during the day, and lie on my side sort of curled up in it, but propped up on one of the arms so I'm much closer to being upright than if I were lying in bed. Sorry I can't think of a better way to describe what I mean. I guess proper adjustable recliners are expensive, but maybe you could find a second-hand one?

One thing that helped me when I couldn't get comfy in a hospital bed was one of those neck pillows that are designed mainly for use on aeroplanes and coaches. I could raise the head of hospital bed to a sitting position, and had ordinary pillows behind my back, but I just couldn't get my head comfy for some reason and the neck pillow gave more support when I was sitting up. I'm not sure if they have a proper name, but I just googled "neck pillow" and that brought up results of what I'm thinking of.
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #42
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
A neck pillow is a good idea, a new couch is not feasible at the moment.
12-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #43
malissaamillia

My Support Groups:
GERD is the only thing they all agree on with me, and that i've got a hiatal hernia of about 4cm. Chronic gastritis was diagnosed by my gp but no diagnosis on IBD yet. Trying Sulfasalazine now since 5 weeks. I've gotten the first tests for fundoplication surgery 27th of November but haven't heard back. 24 hour pH monitoring was awful, my body kept trying to swallow the probe down or I felt like having to trow up. They said that it is very unusual for somebody to still feel it after 30min. I'm also having second thoughts about the surgery.

Omeprazole and Pantoprazole didn't do anything for me, Rabeprazole helps with the heartburn but worsens the amount flowing back. For now I'm not taking anything, but looking at the long-term complications that will not be an option much longer. I've never noticed a difference when lying down, but it gets worse with exercise. Does anybody have experience with osteopathy?
01-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #44
Aos

My Support Groups:
Last week I was diagnosed with dysphagia due to GERD. I hate life right now. So painful and I've lost 15lbs in 2 weeks b/c I find I can eat so little. I have horrid coughing fits at night and spit up a bunch of saliva b/c it all gets stuck in my esophagus and either goes down all at once, creating a huge pain in my chest or just has to be coughed back up. I'm on Remicade and Imuran for Crohn's and now OMe something (proton pump inhibitor) for the GERD, been on that one for a week and have had no positive change. I'm have had a chronic sore throat as well (9 weeks) other than that, I really never thought I had any sign of GERD. Wish my body would give me a break.
Delzacol
3 abcesses develop needed 3 surgeries back to back
Diagnoised: 2014 Fistulizing Crohn's Colitis
Humira 5 weeks, no longer worked
Remicaid Jan 2015
Imuran Jan 2015 (allergic)
Herpes zoster (eye shingles) Oct 2016 no more remicaid
Entivyo 2017 September
01-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #45
FrozenGirl

Well I was diagnosed with GERD, took pantoprazole for 4 months then I seemed fine and my prescription from my PCP ran out. My GI never talked about it so I stopped taking it and was good for about 8 months. Now it seems to be returning. Not as bad as it was before but I feel like it may get worse. Guess I am going to talk to my GI and see what the new plan is. Sigh.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
01-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #46
Aos

My Support Groups:
Frozen Girl, can you tell me what GERD feel like? I am just not sure they are right about me, but what do I know.
01-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #47
FrozenGirl

There was a couple things for me. One was actual reflux, like acid coming up and into my mouth (tastes gross). Another was sometime I felt like if I didn't keep my teeth clenched I was just going to have reflux and throw up. The last one is hard to describe. I had this feeling of discomfort in my stomach when I was lying down, eventually to the point where I had to sleep sitting up. Not a burning but just a weird uncomfortable feeling.
01-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #48
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I have been taking omeprazole 40 mg 2 times daily for years. I have been experiencing dark stools. Saw my GI and he scheduled an upper GI scope. The scope uncovered a healing ulcer in my stomach. This could have been the source of the blood, or it could come from the friable area at my crohn's surgery site. It is hard for me to tell the difference between crohn's pain and the Gerd. My GI put me on Carafate. I hope it helps.
01-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #49
Aos

My Support Groups:
Thanks both of you! that is helpful
01-24-2015, 06:19 AM   #50
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
The symptoms that GERD causes me are:

Food coming back up into my mouth soon after swallowing it, though I often go days without this happening.

Severe heartburn, to the point where I have to stop what I'm doing and wait for the pain to pass. The pain only lasts a few minutes at a time, often while I'm eating but noir always, and, as with the reflux, sometimes I go days without it.

The feeling that something's stuck in my throat while I'm eating, though for me it's food that gets stuck, not saliva. And it's a bit different from what you describe, Aos, as it doesn't necessarily come back up or cause pain when swallowed.

Although I have easophagitis from GERD, I don't feel like I have a sore throat. I do have a very minor cough all the time though.

I've never noticed any connection between what I eat and GERD symptoms and I've tested many of the foods that often do worsen it. The symptoms almost always occur late afternoon or evening. Sitting up rather than lying down is meant to help, but, again, I've never found this. The heartburn is worse and more frequent when I'm on prednisone.

I've tried many different meds for heartburn and reflux but they don't help. But there are many meds for GERD, so it's worth persevering and trying different ones if the ones you've tried so far haven't helped. Have you tried anything for the soreness (as opposed to the reflux and heartburn)? Lozenges or cough syrup?

Let me know if you'd like a list of the foods that can cause problems with GERD too, as although they make no odds to me, many people do find adjusting their diet helpful. Best thing to do is drink milk! It's very good for indigestion and heartburn, and sometimes will ease symptoms right away.

I also have gastroparesis and gastritis from bile reflux, and I think the symptoms overlap sometimes, so I can't be exactly sure what just the GERD would feel like, but I have had GERD confirmed as a diagnosis by endoscopy with biopsies.

Last edited by UnXmas; 01-24-2015 at 06:50 AM.
01-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #51
cheryl888

My Support Groups:
Hi I wanted to join in....I was just recently diagnosed with both Crohn's and GERD/pre-Barrett's Esophagus (I have metaplasia of the esophagus but they said it's not Barret's yet). I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to check for Crohn's and finding the esophagus issue was just a 'bonus' haha. I've been put on omeprazole 20mg in the am and then zantac (can't remember dose) at night.
01-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #52
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Generic Nexium approved by FDA http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50126?irpc=932
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #53
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
High dose nexium is doing nothing for me. I know all the gerd meds are basically the same. Is there anything otc I should try and if it helps get the dr to put in prescription strength? Prilosec has helped a bit in the past maybe I should try it again.
03-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #54
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
For some reason my heartburn is absolutely awful right now. The last couple of nights I've had to sleep sitting up. This morning the pain woke me up about 5:00am. Now it's almost 9:30pm and I'm about to go to bed and the pain has just started again.
04-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #55
Ann Morgan
I have acid reflux. I take Pantoprazole each day, I think it is 40 mg. And if I eat something that is a bit acidic I will take one Extra Strength Gaviscon tablet ( it is chewable and must be taken with a glass of water ). This combination has been working for me for quite a while. But I don't drink alcohol. And I don't like to eat/drink really COLD things or really HOT things ( temperature ). I like my food and drink closer to room temperature for some reason. I cannot eat anything spicy. And I eat tomato sauce rarely. When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed another medication in the beginning. Then I was prescribed Nexium. Then I took over the counter acid reflux medication when my Health Insurance Company quit covering those types of medications ( for one year ). And now I am on the Pantoprazole. I have had two different Primary Care Physicians along the way. My PCP is the one that prescribes my Pantoprazole. Thanks for listening. Have a good week.
04-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #56
Ann Morgan
I was just thinking part of my problem is I lay down most of the day and I eat and lay down. I have chronic fatigue so I am not working and mainly couch ridden. I don't know how to combat this. I am trying to stay upright after eating but it's hard for me to stay propped up and my incline pillow hurts.
I have been sleeping in a recliner for 8 years due to my shoulder arthritis and my hip arthritis. I cannot lay on my side at all, due to the pain. I sleep slightly inclined in my recliner, but never flat all the way down in the recliner. This has just become a way of life for me. I cannot travel any longer because I cannot sleep in a bed. I have traveled four times within the past few years, but have had a recliner available for me to sleep in. Also, cannot step over a tub to take a shower and I need just a shower stall. Ugh, getting old and I am only 54. I am also at a high risk for fracture if I fall, due to my terrible DEXA scan results.
04-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #57
ce1210

My Support Groups:
High dose nexium is doing nothing for me. I know all the gerd meds are basically the same. Is there anything otc I should try and if it helps get the dr to put in prescription strength? Prilosec has helped a bit in the past maybe I should try it again.
Try organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and baking soda...I used to take 60 mg of omeprazole a day and still have heartburn occasionally. I started using acv/baking soda (2tbl spoons acv/ 1/2 tsp of baking soda) twice a day and I have been able to get down to 1 omeprazole a day and plan to try to stop that. Vaporizing cannabis oil seems to quell acid reflux for me as well. But I was amazed how much the acv/baking soda has helped.
04-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #58
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I tried ACV in the past without success but can try again. Baking soda is nasty but it does work quickly to quell the burning which is nice. I was told to try manuka honey before meals. I also have DGL which I'm trying again. I keep asking dr for new prescriptions to try other PPI's
04-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #59
ce1210

My Support Groups:
I tried ACV in the past without success but can try again. Baking soda is nasty but it does work quickly to quell the burning which is nice. I was told to try manuka honey before meals. I also have DGL which I'm trying again. I keep asking dr for new prescriptions to try other PPI's
I had tried acv alone and it almost seemed to make things worse but it seemed like mixing with baking soda changed everything... I've looked into manuka honey but I can decide if I believe the hype and it's sooooo expensive for the real stuff...
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #60
ce1210

My Support Groups:
And from what my doc told me ab ppi's is they are all essentially the same drug or all slight variations of the same substance and that some people seem to do better with different ones so try em all till one works and if none of em work your left with home remedies, diet change, surgery (if something anatomical is causing the GERD). Prilosec seems to do better for me than any of the new ones and it's cheapest (4 me at least).

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group