Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group

07-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #91
a_woman

My Support Groups:
For comparison; water is neutral at a pH of 7.0, tomato juice is acidic at 4.1, distilled white vinegar is more acidic at 2.4, while lemon juice is 2.2, Apple cider vinegar however, stands out in that it tends to be less acidic, with a pH between 4.25 and 5. The stomach is extremely acidic with a pH around 2.

With regular and continued use, this wonderful liquid helps restore and balance the body's pH, taking it from acidic to neutral in a short amount of time. Normally, it would be hard to believe that such an acidic substance could normalize, or lower our pH so easily. As far as I know, this only applies to vinegar, as our digestive system will naturally convert it to an alkaline based substance.

Over the years I have read a lot about ACV. If you google ACV I am sure you will see a lot of studies. I once read that when ACV is burned down (don't ask me how they burn vinegar lol) that it is the only vinegar that will leave ashes.

ACV has been clinically proven to do a lot from lowering cholesterol to balancing blood sugar to clinically proven weight loss.

You can purchase pH level test strips, although they are only effective if you dip them in your urine as your saliva has a different pH level altogether and will skew results. Now, I'm not a doctor so I'm only explaining what I've read over the last 10 years. It is true in fact that acidic environments breed constant problems and changing the environment to alkaline will cause many issues to go away.

When I bought the test strips many years ago along with several family members and tested acidic, 1 month on ACV resulted in alkaline testing.

I felt better, I lost weight, my acid reflux went away, my nausea stabilized throughout the day only occurring in the mornings for several mins and strangely enough my menstrual cramps eliminated.

I would give it a try, if you're suffering. It's not going to harm you, other than it's pretty foul tasting which you eventually get used to. You can mix it with water and honey at first to dilute the awful taste.

You could say it's a placebo affect, but I hardly believe in anything and saw results. Hope this partially answers your question.
07-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #92
Ann Morgan
I saw a video about factory farming ( pigs, chickens, cows and dairy farming ). After that I decided to become a vegan. I am sure that I will have to take supplements. I will talk to my doctors and my nutritionist. Have a good week.
02-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #93
Christi

My Support Groups:
Hi i have gerd for a few years now but were only diagnosed in 2015
04-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #94
Ann Morgan
I take Pantoprazole for my Acid Reflux. And also sometimes Extra Strength Gaviscon. I can no longer drink alcohol because of the reflux. I must cut out other foods too. Food is boring with no flavor. Thanks for listening.
04-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #95
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I take Pantoprazole for my Acid Reflux. And also sometimes Extra Strength Gaviscon. I can no longer drink alcohol because of the reflux. I must cut out other foods too. Food is boring with no flavor. Thanks for listening.
I sometimes take Gaviscom when my stomach doesn't feel right but don't feel like it does much for me.
04-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #96
southwow

My Support Groups:
I have Gerd and it was being somewhat controlled by nexium but now I'm searching for a solution again.
nogutsnoglory, my Gerd didn't start until I'd gained a lot of weight (before my crohn's diagnosis) and was still trying to figure out why my body no longer tolerated healthy foods and I was completely exercise intolerant.

I'm now over the 300 lb mark, but fighting it. Once you start to gain, it seems like even the smell of something you like makes you gain 10 lbs.

Luckily for me, a lot of weight didn't show as I was 6'2" and weighed 175 or so at the beginning. However, I was still very much a fat guy at the point GERD came into the picture, lol. I distinctly remember GERD starting after i had reached 240 lbs (a gain of 75lbs or so). After that, things got much worse and OTC remedies/meds didn't work at the normal dose.

I've tried things for the last 10 years, but the only thing that works consistently for me is just not eating beyond 4-5 hours before I go to sleep and staying on prescription protonics 40mg (or taking 2x 20mg omeprazole daily... which is much cheaper).

Something that worked inconsistently for me when I once decided to give up carbs completely for 8 weeks out of desparation to lose weight was losing weight.

Naturally, I dropped quite a bit extremely quickly (around 80 lbs). Before my crohn's went 'on' at the age of 30, I ate few complex carbs and definitely no simple carbs. As soon as I started eating again, possibly with the re-introduction of dairy foods, things returned to their previous state and the GERD came back with a vengence (took days for meds to get it under control).

So, my list of things that works consists completely of:
1.) either:
a.) Don't eat
or
b.) Stop eating very early and take meds twice daily
AND:
2.) NEVER miss your GERD meds by more than 1 hour, unless you want your anus to feel like you drank battery acid for 3 straight meals.
04-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #97
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I take Prilosec at least 45 min prior to eating every morning (1hrs prior is ideal). If I am having a bad day with it I take one again in the evening also before eating or like 2hrs after eating. The pharmacist said it doesn't work correctly if you take it with food and if I already have acid reflux going on it won't stop it.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
08-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #98
Furrydogmom

I've been hearing that it's bad to be on PPIs for a long time. What is a "long time"?
08-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #99
zHassanz

My Support Groups:
I've been hearing that it's bad to be on PPIs for a long time. What is a "long time"?
I have been on PPIs for over 3 years now, and my doctor said that it's not harmful to be on them for even longer than that.

All my blood tests come in as normal, so I'm not sure of what people mean by being long on PPIs is harmful, or maybe it varies from one person to another.
08-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #100
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I have been on them for several years. My dr said preventing the damage in the esophagus is essential and since I don't have any side effects it is fine. I only take it once a day now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's and GERD sufferers Support Group