• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should i have a stoma bag

Hi everyone, I am 29 years old and suffered with crohns now for 15 years, over the years my condition has been varied but the last 2 years have been awful, I have spent most of the time off work laying in bed totally exhausted, I am currently having humira every week and azathioprine every day. The symptoms i suffer with is chronic exhaustion, fatigue, mouth ulcers, always bloated, watery stools, losing blood when going to the toilet. I have tried all other drugs over the years and now im fed up cause im a personal trainer and i cant think of anything worse than doing exercise at the moment and losing all my strength. my consultant said my last resort would be to have a stoma bag fitted , would you recommend it and how have your symptoms/life changed since having it? many thanks tom

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi tommy. I got my ostomy as a last resort. It got me into remmission and gave me my life back. It's not perfect but I wouldn't want to go back to my pre-ostomy days.

nogutsnoglory

You could try a temporary ostomy to give your body time to heal. It depends where your disease is located. I am doing much better with my ostomy but not with fatigue. Also with an ileostomy you have quite a bit of liquid poo several times a day. A colostomy would be easier to manage.