Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Affecting body temperature?

04-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
wellhello

Affecting body temperature?

Ok, this one if more for the gals, ladies- does your issue with bowel problems cause a swing in your body temperture? I'm going from freezing to hot/visa versa. would love a little input.
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
FrozenGirl

I think so. Most of the time I am freezing then randomly I am sweating up a storm.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
It could be symptoms, and it also could be due to hormone fluctuations....

When I run a low grade temp I tend to have night sweats, which are actually a cold sweat...nasty. Other times I just get cold even when everyone else is warm - and then trying to warm up is a nightmare.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
04-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
theOcean

My Support Groups:
When I need to pass a bowel movement, I find that I get what I call a "flash fever". I get so hot I almost sweat.

Otherwise I have really poor regulation, though.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
04-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Allison M
I do it ALL the time! I'm almost 20 years past hysterectomy menopause, so it's not that.
Rectal Prolapse Feb 2013 with repair and removal
Pancolitis multiple times before diagnosis
Stricture and resection after prolapse May 2013
Current Meds: Prednisone, probiotics, 2 b/p meds, MV, Zoloft
Past meds: Prednisone, Flagyll and antibiotics (?)

[/SIGPIC]
04-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Fairly common for CD to play with thermoregulation so this isn't unusual for either gender. (Suffer from it myself)
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Allison M
Hmmm.... Never pondered it.... Assumed I was nuts!
05-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
wellhello

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone, at least.
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
wellhello

I think so. Most of the time I am freezing then randomly I am sweating up a storm.
exactly! That's what I do. But when I get hot, it's like prickly heat; I hate it.
05-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Kadyer

My Support Groups:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one
05-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #11
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
When I flare I get cold sweats or just overall fevers as a symptom. Definitely not the only one that has this happen, it's a common symptom of a flare. Your body is trying to attack whatever it perceives as a foreign invader in your body.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

05-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Fairly common for CD to play with thermoregulation so this isn't unusual for either gender. (Suffer from it myself)
How does CD effect thermoregulation?

Curious because my son has complained that, at times, feels very cold when it's not that cold outside and hot when it's not extremely hot outside either. (He's not flaring.) No other symptoms/indications relating to thyroid or hypothalamus issues and doesn't seem to be related to any med as he says he felt this sensitivity to temperature even before starting remicade.

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
05-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
theOcean

My Support Groups:

Curious because my son has complained that, at times, feels very cold when it's not that cold outside and hot when it's not extremely hot outside either. (He's not flaring.) No other symptoms/indications relating to thyroid or hypothalamus issues and doesn't seem to be related to any med as he says he felt this sensitivity to temperature even before starting remicade.
That's something I've always experienced. Basically I think we're just very sensitive to temperature, and have a hard time regulating like most people do. I sometimes feel like I'm absolutely freezing and my SO tells me that no, I'm boiling hot. It's as though I have no concept of my own body temperature.
05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:

One of the components of the immune system is inducing fever when you're sick because it helps leukocytes get out to problem areas and lets T-cells reproduce faster. Just like CC said, your body is simply turning on a major part of the immune system for inappropriate reasons.
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Quickly like this, one thing I can say about crohn and temperature is that having iron deficiency can result in having issues with thermoregulation. I'm pretty sure there are an array of other things associated with our condition and specific deficiencies that can enhance these aswell.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #16
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I've thought along the same lines, PsychoJane... after researching what I could on it, I've come to think that it probably is related to some minor deficiencies, iron or otherwise - minor in that it may not be causing any other issues but just enough to throw the body off kilter a bit.
05-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #17
Gurian523

Not a ladies only issue as I can tell you I am a man and I get low grade fever followed by chills almost every bm. I sweat as if I am having a glycemic reaction while in bathroom. After a bm I'm exhausted and always need to rest.
Jon

05-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #18
Alley2231

My Support Groups:
It could also be the meds your on. I noticed some of the others who replied in agreement are on Prednisone...one of it's side effects is sweating/change in body temperature. I'm on Prednisone and I'll be drenched in sweat just from sitting around and doing nothing.
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #19
ash7752

My Support Groups:
I have always run hot. I sweat more at night and cant stay under the covers for every long. During the day I have to fan myself if I feel to hot.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Affecting body temperature?