Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Questions regarding Remicade injections?

04-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
lilriv

Questions regarding Remicade injections?

Hi, all! I just got home from meeting up with my GI. We discussed how Sulfazine EC just isn't cutting it for me anymore, as I am at the start of my second flare ever. He feels strongly about Remicade, and says it's my "best bet" at this point. I just wanted to hear about others who have actually used Remicade! Pros? Cons? Details? Your Opinion? Any shared knowledge about Remicade is greatly appreciated!

Lil
Current Meds: Prednisone 30 mg; Sulfazine EC 3,000 mg
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Well, for one, it's given by infusion rather than injection. So you usually go to clinic and it takes about 2 - 3 hours to receive all the medication. But it's usually only done every 8 - 6 weeks depending on severity, and if it works, it works well.

Unfortunately, because of the type of antibody it is, it's also more likely to get side-effects from it. I was actually highly allergic to Remicade and had to switch to Humira instead.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
04-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
lilriv

Since you only get it every two months, wouldn't that mean that it would be in your system for that long and you would be dealing with the allergic reaction for that long?
04-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
theOcean

My Support Groups:
My GI said it only stayed in your system for five days. I actually got most of my allergy reactions almost a week after my infusions, but before I switched I would get them within hours of the infusion. I had to take steroids and antihistamines beforehand.
05-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
araceli
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Remicade is done by infusion on a clinic setting. First at 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks, usually every 8 weeks after. It will take a few hours, is better if they administer the Remi slow, less chance of having a reaction,. Pros. It is working, cons, none yet,
Current meds.
Remicade since Nov. 2012
Supplements
5000 Vit. D, Multi-Vitamins with Iron
Currently in REMISSION :dance

Mom/ 16 boy
Amplified musculoskeletal pain
Prior. Prednisone, sulfasadine,
Currently. Celebrex, gabapentin, amitriptyline.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Questions regarding Remicade injections?