• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for experiences with Methotrexate

My son was diagnosed with Crohn's last August at age 7. He is now 8. We have tried 6MP with liver and bile duct complications. He was then put on Pentasa (which seemed to have worked great symptom-wise) but he only lasted 3.5 months before he had his 2nd flare. Because of his short remission and high inflammatory markers, his GI wants to try Methotrexate. The side effects are scary. I was intersted to hear back from those who have used Methotrexate, esp. by those who have young children. Thank you.

theOcean

Welcome to the forum! We have a section here which might be very helpful to you, which is for parents who have kids with IBD. :)

The recommendation I hear most commonly with methotrexate is to also take folic acid to reduce some of the side-effects from it. Otherwise, we also have a section for methotrexate, as well.

nogutsnoglory

I understand it's scary but I heard at a conference that it's preferred for the younger patients over drugs like 6mp. I was on it but it wasn't good on my liver.

Hi and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about the drugs he's failed. :hug: never easy to see or kids struggle.
My five year old has been on Mtx since December.
It wasn't enough by itself to keep her in remission so we also added humira.
The Mtx gave her some slight nausea but she has an anti nausea med that help stop that.

Do you know if it will be the pill or injection/shot?

My 13 yr old started methotrexate after Remicade failed her last year. After 5 months we added Humira. The combo seems to be working on the healing part, just not for the symptom part. I have been told the injection works better than the pill, but others that have tried both would gave more first hand experience.

I hope the mtx kicks in fast and works well!