Share Facebook

05-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Lam123

Flare up

So, I started having cramps earlier in the week, Wednesday night went to emerg, just to make sure nothing too bad was going on. Just a minor flare. I'm on prednisone for a few weeks. How long does it take to kick in? My knees are feeling a little swollen aswell. This usually happens to me in a flare, but it's been awhile since I've taken prednisone. Right now I'm on 35 mg? I think it's 7 pills, tapering off one pill per week.
Humira weekly
- multi vitamin and vitamin D
- B12 shots monthly
Mother of one beautiful boy and a puppy! 👪🐶Happily married to an amazing and patient man, that I call my best friend❤️I'm just living life one day at a time and trying to figure out this crazy disease! 🍀🌞⭐️
05-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Everyone is different but it's pretty fast acting and hopefully since it's a minor flare in a few days you will begin feeling better.
05-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Agreed with NGNG: prednisone usually kicks in pretty quickly. It should also help with the aching in your knees, since those arthritis-like symptoms are usually from Crohn's.

And they're usually 5mg pills, so 35mg sounds right if you're on seven of them. Good luck and I hope they help!
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Lam123

I am feeling better tonight. It's just so frustrating, I haven't been to the hospital in 4 years and was on such a good role. Oh well, on to recovery! Trying to keep a positive mind.
05-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
Lam123

I also have anxiety issues, health anxiety at times, so this becomes even more challenging for me.
05-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I can understand, yes. I deal with anxiety problems as well and take medication for it. That's good you're trying to keep a positive outlook though! I'm sure you'll be back to good health soon.
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Lam123

My gp won't give meds for anxiety. I have been trying to manage it naturally, but I'm not sure how well that's working.
05-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
theOcean

My Support Groups:
That was my strategy for awhile, and I still intend to go back to being off of medication for it. I just felt I needed it temporarily because I was having such high stress at the time.

I actually see a psychiatrist regularly, which has really helped me. I started seeing her just before my Crohn's diagnosis, in fact. Because she has medical training (as opposed to just a therapist) it's really nice because she'll understand when I talk about my Crohn's and my medications, too. Maybe that's something you could look into getting a referral for? I know at least for me, it's been one of the healthiest decisions I've ever made for myself.
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
Lam123

I saw a psychiatrist for awhile and felt like it helped, but then her practice moved and it's not near me. Then I saw a social worker and I didn't find her as helpful.
05-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Aw, that's a shame. I would recommend mine since I adore her but I don't think she's taking new patients (and I'm also not sure if you're in Toronto, which would be important). Are you able to ask your GP for another referral?