• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Weight gain/loss

Hi
I was just wondering does anybody else notice that their weight is all over the place? Iv seen many posts about loosing weight but is it normal to put weight on too? Even when my weight drops i always feel my belly is just there. Im very conscious about my body. :(

theOcean

It varies from person-to-person, but yes. Some people put on weight instead of losing it.

With sudden weight loss, at least in myself, I notice that it takes awhile for my weight to be distributed properly. So if you feel like your belly is still there despite that, that might be why. I can understand why you'd be self-conscious about your body though, especially dealing with IBD. :hug: I still sometimes feel upset looking at myself, and it takes awhile to get past or to get more comfortable with your appearance. I get good days and bad days with it.

Im finding somedays are hard to cope with especially when i want to wear a pair of tight jeans and as per usual i cant and have to wear leggings which sounds silly but i miss doing what i want to do. Its hard too when people are continually making rumours.
Im glad i can come here and feel like I'm not alone in this. I really appreciate the support :)

theOcean

Well! The benefit of wearing a pair of leggings instead of jeans is that at least they're super comfy. :p And they're a bit more forgiving when your weight goes up and down.

I'm glad you feel like you have support here. :hug: Being on this forum makes me feel like I have this big community surrounding me and makes me feel better, too.

Hi
I was just wondering does anybody else notice that their weight is all over the place? Iv seen many posts about loosing weight but is it normal to put weight on too? Even when my weight drops i always feel my belly is just there. Im very conscious about my body. :(
Except when I've been on Prednisone, I haven't particularly noticed any significant weight changes. I've slowly creeped up over the years (maybe 10 pounds in the last 10 years), but I think that's just getting older. This is both good and bad - good in that I'm not gaining a lot of weight, but bad in that I haven't really been able to lose any (and I should lose 10 or 20).

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
When I was in a flare my weight would drop. First flare I lost 60 pounds in two months. And then would fluctuate over the next few years.I would slowly gain constantly because of prednisone, when I had colon I was never able to get off of it. Then when things would act up I'd lose some. For me I was always a fat guy, but because of the pred my face was disproportionately fat. I was 300lbs at my heaviest, 240 at my lowest and was roughly 260 +/- regularly until after I had the colon removed. This was all in the span for 4 years. When there were weight fluctuations I would see it at the sides of my stomach, I carried belly, but it would sink in at the sides.

Hi
I am currently dealing with weight gain as well. Today was a tough day for me because my "fat pants" were a bit difficult to get on this morning. At the rate I'm going, they probably won't fit me at all next week. :( I'm seriously considering going out and buying some maternity pants, so that if my weight continues to fluctuate, they will still fit me!

I haven't really experienced the weight loss symptom of Crohn's Disease, outside of my first hospital visit and I blame that on being NPO, then going on TPN for a week to being on a clear liquid diet.(I may be the only Crohn's patient right now that would like to have the weight loss symptom:tongue:) Right now the weight gain is due to Prednisone...I've been on it since February and I am weaning off of it, but finding the weight gain has been worse with weaning off. It is very frustrating for me as well and I do feel disgusted with myself. I just need to remember, it's not me that is causing this, it's the drugs and the illness and I pretty much have no control over it.

You are not alone! :) I find that this site is a great support group and it's helping me to deal with the disease and the different issues that I've been experiencing!

I lost a bunch of weight, gained on pred and am pretty steady now, if low. I do however feel my stomach is sticking out all the time. Having someone ask me if I was expecting did not help my self consciousness.

When i went on holiday there was a woman who asked me girl or boy? I had no clue what she was on about. Then realised she was staring at my belly. At this point i didn't know i had UC and was just suffering from severe pain and bloating. Think this started off my whole body image problem. She said it was cause i was holding my belly.
Thanks for the support guys. Maybe i should get some "fat pants" too :)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
When i went on holiday there was a woman who asked me girl or boy? I had no clue what she was on about. Then realised she was staring at my belly. At this point i didn't know i had UC and was just suffering from severe pain and bloating. Think this started off my whole body image problem. She said it was cause i was holding my belly.
Thanks for the support guys. Maybe i should get some "fat pants" too :)
Right now, I could think of a smart response like: actually it's one of each! But, honestly, times like that I couldn't think of a thing! Almost every day I deal with the same thing. Only, the difference is that I'm too thin and could probably pass for a teenager even though I haven't been in my teens for years.

Best thing I can say is that I'm there too. :hug:

Its good to hear that other people have had the same comments so atleast I'm not alone. I always think of good things to say after it happens. Maybe i should write a list of witty things to say back incase it happens again lol.
Even people who know that I bloat will comment when it happens. 'Omg look how big your bellys got! I don't know how you cope.' Well I don't have a choice but to cope with it is my usual response.

Hi

I have noticed recently with myself that my belly gets bloated and extended. Not necessarily putting on weight but looks like I could be a few months prego. I'm not sure why this happens, I'm guessing it's from inflammation from some bad eating/ drinking choices made the night before.
I am very self conscious about this as well, now that it's warm outside dresses are always my go to over tight pants!!

I lost 28 lbs before i was diagnosed. I thought it was because i was doing alot of manual work at the time and wasnt eating much. but i had to go for a random medical in work and they said i had lost 28 lbs in 3 months so i had to go to the hospital or i wouldnt be allowed back on the tools (they probably thought i was on drugs because i was so pale at the time).
So that was how i ended up getting diagnosed.

I put all the weight back on because of the steroids, think it took about a month (it was that fast).

So my weight has stayed pretty much the same for 7 years, im a big guy so maybe that will go in my favour if i have a big flair up.

But i used to think one benefit of having IBD is you would always be thin. but that is a myth. we come in all shaoes and sizes :)

I have Ulcerative Colitis and I had diarrhea for 17 years. I was first on Asacol

and I am currently on Lialda. Now, for the past three months, I have had

severe constipation ! During the first 7 weeks of the constipation I lost 20

pounds. Now the weight loss is at 23 pounds. Yes, I am obese and the weight

loss is a good thing, but I did not lose it in a healthy way. I saw a new Gastro

the other day and am having a colonoscopy this month. I think when I started

getting the severe constipation I quit having much of an appetite whatsoever,

so that is probably how I lost the weight.

HI. I am back here.
I lost 30 pounds last year due to my constipation and loss of appetite.
I had a colonoscopy in August of last year and it came back normal.
But then I had some antibiotics in November of last year and that made my diarrhea come back.
I started to get my appetite back and I have gained 18 pounds.
And now, I have just found out I have c-diff.
I started on Flagyl today.
So, my colon health has really been up and down since May 2014. It is now April of 2015.
I went from 200 pounds to 170 last year.
Now I am 188 pounds.
And I am tired all of the time ( nothing new there ! ).