• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's it was

Okay, here's my story for you all.

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all. I'm Chloe, I'm 20 years old and I am a Crohnnie. I started getting ill on 23 December 2006. I first thought I had gastro and it sort of never stopped. I went to my GP and he gave me antibiotics and a "clogger" prescription to help the diahorrea, it never got better. I went back, he gave me more antibiotics. It never got better. Months passed, he thought I was stressed and it was all in my head and wanted me to see a psychologist. Meanwhile my mum randomly one night found a thing for "Crohn's Disease" one night and I was like, "No, that's not me, its too rare". . .

It was not until July 2007 my GP finally referred me to a gastro and I finally had a upper and lower endoscopy and I was diagnosed. I feel bad for just refusing to believe that one night with mum that Crohn's was actually it.

By that time, I was disturbingly malnourished and was borderline going to get osteoporosis and had bad liver function. (Pretty scary looking back on it). I saw a nutritionist and he got me on the right track. I'm healthy, have had a 2-4 flare ups a year, but are minor, because the steriods (bad for me, I know) work really quick and well so I hardly have to ever be on them.

I have sort of quit drinking alcohol because I think it affects my medication, but it does not make me upset for more than 24-48 hours per time to get back on track, and I want to start drinking again.

My doctor says I don't suffer too bad with my disease, and I hope it never gets too bad. I need to manage my stress levels at times but it is so hard because I'm only human. I want to get into Buddhism and a stress management philosophy to control my stress levels.

Dietwise, I avoid curries and really fatty foods. I don't tend to get too upset. Avocados give me stomach aches. I have fish oil and Vitamin D and I try to have 3 serves of calcium per day.

It is so nice to cyber meet you all and I must say it's lovely to have a community like this to share it all,

Chloe
xo

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
hi chloe, and welcome!

Sounds like you're on a great path to managing stress and diet. Like you, I've had mostly a mild case until recently - but it was because I got lax on taking my meds and thought I had defeated it.

Stay on the healthy path!