Share Facebook

07-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #91
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah I used to constantly have to deflate my ball as well. But now I have a corner to stash it into.

The journey is getting more tolerable. Went jogging today after missing almost 5 days and even though my jog was a bit slower, the overall journey was a lot more manageable than I have ever known it to be.

In a day or two I will be extending my jog. I honestly feel more confident about it than I have so far. I'm a bit sore from the last two days and am running g off of 3 hours of sleep so I think tomorrow will be a much needed rest day.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

07-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #92
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
3 hours of sleep!? Due to work or stress or symptoms or...? I hope you were able to get some sleep and feel better!
07-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #93
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Stress and work. I was unable to relax my mind the other night and it kept me up until about 4:30am.

That jog yesterday actually served purposes beyond fitness. It was a good stress reliever: the weather was very comfortable yesterday and the lakefront was quiet and empty...I even jogged along the beach and the shoreline for one of my intervals. It also helped me to fall asleep more easily and comfortably last night. Maybe that's why I REALLY enjoyed that jog yesterday!

Today I will just focus on some stretches and some core exercises at home. Then sleep.
07-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #94
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear about the stress keeping you awake! Do you ever take anything to help you sleep? I'm on amitriptyline which helps me sleep, but it's not always strong enough if my brain won't shut off. Sometimes I take a benadryl to induce drowsiness, that usually works.

And yes, as you said, exercise is a fantastic stress-reliever! Sounds like you had a really great run. I love those exercise sessions where I feel good and really enjoy it, and it's just exactly what my body needed.
07-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #95
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Last night I progressed into a 90 sec. jog, 90 sec walk, 3min jog, 3min walk, then repeat.

That's my longest outdoor jogging attempt thus far. It's so fascinating to me that I can jog 15min straight on a treadmill but jogging on concrete is taking me forever. The challenge was there, it was getting hard to push through towards the end of the 3 minute jogs. There was a moment during the first 3 minute interval where i was able to push past it a little longer and it didn't feel as terrible. The program has you do each interval phase 3 times before moving up to the next phase but I think it's a good idea to work on this interval phase for a few more runs before progressing to truly get comfortable in it.

Today I somehow managed to wake up early this morning and took an outdoor pilates class. Chicago does this on Saturday mornings in the Summer for free and I have always meant to try it out. This year I finally did. There were people of all shapes and skill levels joined on a giant lawn in the heart of downtown Chicago trying to do something healthy for themselves. It was a lot of fun and a good attempt at pilates. The sun beating down made it a tad uncomfortable at times but the scenery and the act of doing this outdoors outweighed everything else.

Something I'm noticing. My knees are not what they used to be. I need to learn how to take extra special care of them. One specific thing I am noticing is that my left knee cracks/crackles when I walk up stairs sometimes. I can both hear it and feel it. It doesn't hurt at all but it is a very weird sensation. And it only happens when I walk up steep stairs.

I first developed weird knee issues when I started prednisone for Crohns. The knee symptoms have lingered off and on even after stopping steroids over a year ago. Most days are fine, but every now and then these sensations happen. And resting my knees on hard surfaces (like when exercising) is sometimes impossible now. I should honestly have a doctor look at them at some point just to be safe. I have had bone density tests done last year which said everything is okay but times do change things and I wonder if arthritis is slowly developing.
07-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #96
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
This morning I had further realization of how hard pilates is. I was expecting to be sore in my core and lower body area (which I was), however I did not expect my shoulders to become sore as well even after stretching. Lesson learned, stretch my arms out even more if I do pilates again.

I had an itch today, I thought it was hunger for a while but then I realized my body just needed to get outside so I tried the 90sec and 3 min jog interval again.

It was muggy out, first time I've jogged in this condition. Uncomfortable, but I managed by focusing on controlling my pace. I found trying to breathe in that condition to be not too great. I'm working on breathing better when I work out. My trainer pointed out to me the other week that he notices a vein bulge in my head when I work out and it's because I don't always breathe properly. My way of trying to overcome this is to make slightly dramatic exhales because it reminds me how important it is to breathe properly and consistently when exercising.

More deep stretching tonight then early to bed.
07-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #97
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Do any of your other joints randomly crackle/pop, or is it just your knees? I've had crackly joints for years, well before I got sick or took corticosteroids, so for me it's just something I've always had. My wrists and elbows have been crackly since like high school. When I lift weights, sometimes my shoulders pop with every rep. Before I started working out, sometimes if I knelt down, my kneecap(s) would spontaneously dislocate and I'd have to pop it back in which hurt like crazy! Now that I've been working out, my knee muscles are apparently stronger so they don't dislocate anymore, but they still make popping sounds like the rest of my joints. Oh, and oddly enough, my bad hip doesn't make any crackling/popping sounds, but my "good" (less painful but still arthritic) hip sometimes clicks with every step I take. My body is super weird. But anyway, my rambly point is, it's not necessarily due to steroids/Crohn's. Hopefully it'll get better as your knees get stronger.
07-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #98
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
My joints make lots of popping and clicking noises, to the point my fiancee says I sound a bit like a mechanical typewriter. Though I've never gotten so far as to have to put the joint back in the socket. That sounds horribly painful.
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #99
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My bad hip with no cartilage and the metal pin connecting it to my joint clicks sometimes and is uncomfortable for obvious reasons.

When I lift weights my right shoulder pops lightly on occasion but it's not often at all that it does that. My knees do it on a more regular basis. My shoulder and my knees don't hurt when they pop or crackle though. it's just weird. I had my boyfriend place his hand on my knees this weekend when I bent it and he could feel it sort of grinding (for lack of better word) when I would bend and straighten them both.

Part of me wonders if the weight gain (almost 20lbs since winter) has kept this lingering in my knees due to additional stress on the joint. Maybe it's just what my body has decided to do now that I am getting older. Maybe steroids just made these symptoms more prominent. Who knows maybe its a combo of all of the above.

Either way it's now additional incentive to get into decent health.
07-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #100
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I kind of hate that I have not exercised in two days. Only one of these two days was supposed to be used for rest. Time really slipped past me. I've been a bit mentally stressed and tired AND running around, but I DID manage to do a quick squat challenge with a phone app last night and got 36 squats in before bed. Like I said in theOcean's post, every minute of activity does count.

I was able to reflect a bit while running about this past week and I really need a routine. I have tried and failed at this many times and it's far too easy for me to give up at the end of the day. I am not a morning person at all but seriously something has got to give.

This needs to become a better habit. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Sacrifices need to be made in order to accomplish this and I have resolved to starting my day earlier than I have been. Not just for exercise, but to get things done around the house so I am not so stressed, tired and unable to accomplish everything I want to during the evening. It will also give me time to myself before the house wakes up and takes over the rest of the day. Plus I would sleep better at night.

This week is pretty hectic so I am going to jog when I can and prepare myself so that when Monday comes next week, I will be focus on adjusting to a morning routine of exercise and other activities.

That's it. Nothing more for today. Unable to get moving today due to a gathering I am hosting in my place right after work. Tomorrow, Saturday and/or Sunday I will have plenty more opportunity to get my jogging back in. To supplement for today's loss, I've taken the stairs instead of the elevator at work. I also made an extra trip outside to get some extra walking in.
07-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #101
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
36 squats is definitely nothing to sneeze at, even if you didn't get a full workout in that's still a good effort! Getting up earlier and being more organized sound like a good plan. Following through is the hard part! For me, for a little while I was really trying to be more organized about packing my lunches for the work week, and on Sunday afternoons/evenings I would try to do a lot of prep work so that I could easily just grab things during the week to throw in my lunch bag. But after a few weeks of doing that, I started slacking off on food prep and haven't really been that organized since, and as a result I've had to scramble in the mornings to throw together a halfway decent lunch. So thank you for the reminder that I've got to make a renewed effort to be more organized in that regard myself!
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #102
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Most of my exercise from this weekend came from walking about. Saturday was a mall day so I spent a few hours roaming about.

Yesterday boyfriend and I went on a hiking trip to check out a small waterfall in a forest preserve outside of Chicago. It was a really nice and refreshing outdoor trip but the mosquitoes were brutal. If you even stopped for a second there were swarms of them trying to eat you. We hiked approx. 9.4 miles total and stopped at the waterfall for a snack and rest period halfway through. It was an even, gravel trail with some slight inclines/declines along the way. We went off of the path once so got some extra leg work in trying to climb up the hill to get back on the right path.

I'm really glad I made the decision to stretch before we got in the car to head back home. Boyfriend, on the other hand, didn't stretch and after our 45min drive found himself to be incredibly stiff from the ride.

My feet need a rest so today I will give it to them. I'm at the point now where if I walk too much throughout the day I get heel pain. I've had to start altering the types of shoes I wear because of this. It goes away after a good nights rest off of my feet though.

Tomorrow I start the jog intervals again.
07-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #103
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Last night I progressed into a 90 sec. jog, 90 sec walk, 3min jog, 3min walk, then repeat.
Great stuff. I started back at it a couple of weeks ago and am up to 7 sets of run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
07-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #104
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Awesome hawkeye! Yes, I have also tried (and failed) a few times before. This is the longest I've lasted. How is it going for you? What type of terrain are you running on?
07-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #105
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That hike sounds like a lot of fun, but you're right about the mosquitoes, they've been terrible this year! I let my dog outside to do her business and we both get swarmed, it's miserable. The waterfall sounds cool though and it sounds like you had a good hike aside from the mosquitoes.
07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #106
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's going pretty good. I went out again tonight. I'll probably notch it up to 3 and 1's over the weekend. I am running on "hilly" terrain. Our neighbourhood is far from flat.
07-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #107
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear it's going well hawkeye. I bet the hills are adding an extra challenge. They do for me. I go much much slower on inclines. Looking forward to hearing about your progress! I find the current interval I am at to be a bit challenging so I will probably stick here for a while. It's doable right now, but still pretty difficult to complete.

Took a short walk after work yesterday since the weather permitted and I didn't have time for a full workout. On my route I accidentally stumbled on the set for the TV show Chicago Fire! I honestly thought there was a real fire drill going on so I didn't think anything of it and kept walking about. LOL They stopped me from walking through the scene they were about to film, told me to watch if I wanted, so I stuck around for a little bit then continued on my walk :P

Friday I will be able to start focusing on my jogging. The fun run 5k is three Saturdays from now. As of right now I'm averaging 2.3 miles. I will be focusing a lot more on my diet as well for energy. Time to make sure I am in decent shape to complete my interval for the 5k.
07-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #108
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's really cool about stumbling upon a TV show set! Hulu filmed a TV show here in Madison a couple years ago ("Battleground") and they hired some local actors, so I kinda geeked out because I know a few people who were in the show (one of them even had a major role) and all the filming locations were local, so we had a fun time watching the show and saying, hey, is that Warner Park? And look, there's that guy we know!

It sounds like you're making good progress in your training for the 5K! Do you have fitness goals that you'd like to tackle once you've run the 5K race?
07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #109
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm going to focus more on weight loss for better health (crohns and joint health) and getting a 5 day routine going when it comes to exercise. I need to find the right balance with diet and exercise and create something that I can stick to once fall/winter hits. The first step is getting a morning routine going.

I've been reading a lot of articles on sleep cycles and the benefits of waking up early to get me motivated when I start next monday. Interesting fact the average sleep cycle is 90minutes. If you want to wake up more easily and refreshed, decide what time you want to wake up and then count backwards in 90 minute increments until you hit 7 or 8 hours and that determines what time you should go to bed for the best sleep.

I tried it once before and as much as I hate getting up early it did make it easier to do.
07-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #110
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's interesting about the 90 minute sleep cycles. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you! So I presume you're going to get up earlier so that you can get in a workout before you go to work? I'm just not a morning workout person (I tried once or twice, but my reflux and my nausea are both worst first thing in the morning so it just didn't happen for me - I need to wake up, let things settle down, drink some water, eat something, let that settle for a few hours, then I'm finally able to work out - so I'm a noon exerciser at the very earliest!).

Are you going to do more treadmill runs when fall/winter hits? Or are you going to be one of those tough/crazy people who still runs outside regardless of what the weather is like?
07-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #111
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I have to be honest with myself and admit that trying to work out routinely after work just isn't possible. It's always short-lived. I get myself involved in so many different activities that easily keep me away from doing exercise.

I've tried working out mornings before and it honestly feels good but it never sticks because I'm usually a BEAST when I wake up . The 90 minute sleep cycle I tested out made me feel more alert immediately when my eyes opened, so that's promising. I just need to stop convincing myself that I'm not capable of a morning routine. I'm the only one holding me back from giving it a good try.

95% of the time I am a get up, get dressed and rush out of the house for work kind of person (I occasionally take my showers the night before to save time). The morning routine will not only give me a healthy workout habit it will give me more time to prepare for my day, give me some ME time while everyone else in the house sleeps (I don't get much alone/quiet/free-to-roam time after work), I can cross some extra to-do things off my daily list so that I have more time to relax when I get home AND it will hopefully get me into a better, quality sleeping routine. All of these things also contribute to less stress in my life which would be nice The trickle effect can only lead to positive outcomes if I can keep this up.

I want to work on a balance of cardio and treadmill exercises with of course some weight training thrown in every few days. I'm not crazy. I have no intention of jogging in snowy, cold, icy Chicago weather LOL. I don't mind jogging in cooler, fall weather but I definitely won't do it on the lake because that would just be too uncomfortable for me. I freeze so easily and get sick easily in fall/winter. I'm always either super hot or super cold.

That's interesting about the 90 minute sleep cycles. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you! So I presume you're going to get up earlier so that you can get in a workout before you go to work? I'm just not a morning workout person (I tried once or twice, but my reflux and my nausea are both worst first thing in the morning so it just didn't happen for me - I need to wake up, let things settle down, drink some water, eat something, let that settle for a few hours, then I'm finally able to work out - so I'm a noon exerciser at the very earliest!).

Are you going to do more treadmill runs when fall/winter hits? Or are you going to be one of those tough/crazy people who still runs outside regardless of what the weather is like?
08-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #112
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It sounds like you don't get much "me" time at home - how many people live with you? I crave "me" time (I'm a massive introvert) and it's just me and hubby (and the pets) and that's just about perfect for me. I agree though that a morning routine should help. I always get up at least 30 mins before hubby does - that allows me to spend extra time in the bathroom if I need it, and sort of mentally prepare myself for the day ahead. I don't do any exercise in the mornings but I do like to have that little routine of just being by myself for a bit before I go wake hubby up and start getting ready.

What, you don't want to go jogging on icy sidewalks in -30 wind chills?? I don't blame you! I do walk my dog (sometimes with snowshoes) in the winter, and shovel the driveway/sidewalk, and very rarely I'll go ice skating outdoors (I think I went once last year?), but that's about it for my outdoor winter fitness activities. I know it's possible to jog outside year-round - my mother does it (she is definitely crazy though) - but it does not sound enjoyable in the least. I think you've mentioned that you're kind of similar to me, that you get bored with doing the same thing like jogging on a treadmill all the time (personally I get so so so bored riding the stationary bike all winter! Pedaling to nowhere for 8 months out of the year, I know I need the cardio but it drives me nuts!). So, I hope you can figure out some ways to keep from getting too bored with running indoors during the cold months!
08-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #113
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So like I said earlier, my typical morning routine looked like this:
  • Night before go to bed around midnight
  • Alarm goes off at 6:00am
  • I hit snooze until around 7:25am
  • I wake up between 7:25am and 7:40am
  • Shower (if I haven't done it the night before), dress
  • Run out of the door by 8:15am to catch the last bus to get to work JUST IN TIME.
  • Breakfast at work, tired and wishing I was at home in bed still.

TODAY, things change. I got my new morning desired routine started.....

I followed the sleep cycle schedule I mentioned above and went to bed at last night at 10:30pm in hopes of waking up at 6:00am. To help me fall asleep more easily since it was earlier than I normally do, I listened to one of my meditation recordings while in bed. I managed to wake up with more alertness than I am used to in the morning and was out of bed by 6:05am. I had to shake off some of the sleepiness but it was nothing like the morning grogginess I am used to. I have to say so far I'm impressed with this sleep cycle trick.

By 6:25 I was out of the door, fully alert and started my jog/walk interval to the park.

Made it home by 6:55am, showered and dressed for the day by 7:15. I made overnight, refrigerated oatmeal last night so my breakfast was all ready and just needed to be reheated. I had about 45 minutes to myself to breakfast, send some e-mails and browse the web before it was time to leave for work.

Left for work at 8:00am and made it to the office 15 minutes early.

I wasn't expecting it to go this well on the first day of this new attempted routine but it was incredibly promising. I felt rejuvenated and ready for the day. Now I just wait and see if I manage to pass out during my work lunch break!

And after getting all of this done I don't have to worry about it tonight and can focus more of my evening energy on relaxing.
08-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #114
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sounds like a definite improvement! It's just past lunchtime now so hopefully you managed to stay awake. At the very least, being so active so early in the day should hopefully allow you to zonk right out at your new bedtime tonight.
08-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #115
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Still wide awake, no overwhelming urge to nap like I normally have mid-afternoon. I will definitely sleep like a baby tonight
08-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #116
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sounds like so far so good! I'll be interested to hear how the rest of the week goes. Are you planning to keep up with getting up early on weekends as well, or will you stay up late/sleep in on weekends?
08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #117
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Making a habit is about being consistent so I decided to keep the sleep schedule going at least 6 days/week. Eventually my body will get used to the idea and it will naturally want to be up at that time anyway (at least that's the theory with all of this).

The only problem is that I do sometimes stay out late on weekends and some weeknights so I will have to strategize as I go along. But this month my calendar is a bit vacant intentionally so I am going to focus even more on getting to bed on time than staying out late.

If I get tired and I have some time over the weekend to do so then I will allow myself a nap
08-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #118
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I used to do that for awhile - the year before I developed IBD, it was like my brain wanted me to get up at 5 AM every day. It just became habit after awhile. So I made a habit of it and that actually worked out quite well. I would do yoga most of those mornings and then head to work feeling refreshed. Those were nice days! I don't seem to be able to do that anymore though. My morning routine now is - get up at 6, use the bathroom, feed the cat, let the dog out, feed the dog, briefly check email and facebook, then wake hubby up, get dressed and pack my lunch. If I could just get up at 5 instead of 6, I could do yoga in the mornings again. Hmmm, maybe that's something I should try to do! I can't lift weights nor do cardio in the mornings because of my reflux, but it seems to not be so bad when I'm doing yoga, so maybe I could still get away with doing yoga first thing in the morning. That's something for me to consider.

Naps on the weekends are totally okay in my book! Especially if you don't sleep in.
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #119
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's interesting, before IBD, I could sleep until 2pm with no problem daily. Once I became ill, I was up every morning around 6:30am. I would be bored out of my mind on steroids and so if I was well enough I would go walking, get my grocery shopping done, clean my house and maybe even a quick exercise in all before 11am. Sometimes I confused myself and my family/friends because I got so much done early in the day I thought it was later than it actually was. I was calling or texting them at 8am to chat and wondering why no one was getting back to me until hours later or why people responded with confusion....they were shocked that I was up so early...hahaha. These days unless I am sick, 9:00am is considered "sleeping in" to me thanks to previous steroid meds

Yoga in the morning sounds like one of the most relaxing things. Definitely worth trying if it's something you think won't cause acid reflux. And if daily napping were law then I would be the happiest woman on earth.

Day 2 of the early morning routine.

Same sleep schedule (10:30pm to 6:00am). Waking up was a tad more challenging today but I managed to force myself out of bed by 6:10am.

I'm assuming it was two things that caused this....(1) It's dark and gloomy outside today (and humid!). I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning without adequate daylight coming through the windows. (2) Last night I forgot I had a personal training appointment. If I cancelled then I had to pay a fee so I went through with it. We did a boxing circuit in addition to upper body and core strength training. So on top of the jogging/walking I did earlier that day, I was pooped! It didn't take me long at all to fall asleep last night.

Once I did get myself out of bed it was much easier to get going mentally. I took it easier given my last night routine and went for a 20minute walk, then came home and did some core work with an exercise ball and jump rope/jumping jacks for 10 more minutes to get my blood flowing. The shower helped wake me up a little more.

Breakfast was scrambled egg whites mixed with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, tomato, green onions and monterey jack cheese.

Managed to get downtown to work a bit earlier than normal (about 25min) so I stopped by one of the weekly farmer's markets and snagged some fresh mint and zucchini bread (YUM!).

I still feel a tad bit tired, but it's more physically than mentally. I might go to sleep a bit earlier today to let my body rest and adjust to this change in routine some more.
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #120
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Fresh mint is awesome! It grows like a weed in my garden, I have both peppermint and spearmint growing. I don't even cook/bake with it much, but it makes my yard smell really nice! If you can grow it (not sure if you can have a little garden at your apartment?), it's awesome - mint requires basically zero care. I don't ever water my mint plants but they grow like crazy and spread out. My mint has survived torrential rains and harsh drought. I'm not a very good gardener, so low-maintenance things like mint are the plants I like to have in my garden!

Sounds like you had a very active day yesterday! It's good that you went to work out with your personal trainer even though you had already worked out that morning, I applaud you for that. I recently read somewhere that it's a good workout strategy to go all out one day, and then the next day have either a rest day or tone it way down, then go all out the next day, and so on. So since you went all out yesterday, maybe take it easier today but then maybe push yourself again tomorrow.