Share Facebook

05-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Tigscub

New med

Well my. Family dr just started me on this pentasa and I'm a bit worried as I have not had a bowel movement in a few days I've gone from 3-5 a day to none so tonight I took a mild laxative was that a good decision? also I had two surgeries and had my large intestine removed so I have no colon so can't get constipated and meds I take are Pentasa, vit b12, vit d, folic acid ,cipralex, gabapentin,,temazepam

Last edited by Tigscub; 05-09-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: just addint it
05-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Pentasa is a pretty mild medication as far as Crohn's goes, though I know the side-effect I hear about most often is nausea when people first start it. Not having bowel movements is definitely a new one! As long as the laxative you took was mild it's probably all right, though.

It may be a good idea to mention to your GI, as well. I know I've gone up to two/three days without a bowel movement before and was fine. Longer than that and I'd start to be a bit concerned.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Tigscub

Ok the laxative didn't work this is getting discouraging it has now been about 6 days I have just finished withall this medical crap was released from hospital oon Jan14 2014 and home care was was finishhed about a a month ago am tired of the ivtherapy ct. Scans, xrays pic lines. Scopes ecti was really hoping.for a bit longer of time with some.normalcy I know my surgeonn told me I am facing a.third surgery and it will be the final where.I get the ostomy bag as I no longer haave a.large intestine so as for getting..constipated I CANT! This isbl just really. Really getting me down I wish I had someoneb in y prsonal circle I can yalk to about this but it seems that seems since that after all this they all ran away neveeven came to see me in hospitaal or even call
05-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Which laxative did you use? Sometimes they take awhile. It also depends on which kind it is.

If it's been six days, I'm sorry but it sounds like it's time to call your GI. I know it's exhausting going through all this, but it's better to get checked out now then to put it off and potentially get worse. Then you might have an even longer hospital stay.

I'm also sorry to hear that you haven't had a good support network... I'm sure they didn't run away, though. Maybe they assumed you wanted space or maybe they didn't know how to help.
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Tigscub

I used Dicetel 100mg normaly it works within 24hrs for me but not this time , I was tolld that due to me not having a colon anymore ibam unable to become constipated, and as to my suppoort system I never had one for christmas I got a txt from my daughter while I was still in hospital asking me if my sister could get into myy. Storage locker and go thru my stuff , they treatedd me like I was dead and they were voltures circling just waiting and to this day not one call ,txt,emaillor kick in the pants asking.me hoow I am I hear nothing from them
05-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Ali29

My Support Groups:
Tigscub - so sorry to hear that you don't have a support system with your family. My family is here for me and are great about going to the store, etc. for me but they don't really understand how we feel inside. I have found so much comfort within this Forum, people here really do care and offer so much advice and information. I am so thankful to have this. I hope you can find the same thing here!! It's like our little world of our own and everyone can be honest about Poo talk, etc.

Good luck and I hope your family comes around!!!
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.