Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Eyes » Please tell me my eyes are not inflamed! (PICS)

05-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Brenden

My Support Groups:
Please tell me my eyes are not inflamed! (PICS)

Hello everyone, I am in the midst of being diagnosed. So far doctors think I have Crohn's Disease in the upper part of my small intestine.

Recently I have developed some bad joint pain and my friends were pointing out my eyes don't look so good. They seem to be a bit yellow, with some red veins that I have no idea what it is. Apparently Episcleritis can be caused by IBD but when I looked up Episcleritis on google, my eyes don't look as bad.

Here are some pictures, do they look inflamed?

http://postimg.org/gallery/atwmeeu6/
05-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Clash
Forum Monitor

My son has episcleritis and his usually starts in the corners of his eyes. There are other extra intestinal manifestation(EIM) of CD that involve the eyes, like uveitis, scleritis and a few ore. An ophthalmologist would be a great place to start. When I scheduled my son's appt I made sure the doc was familiar with the EIMs of CD. He recognised the episcleritis right away and checked for other EIMs involving my son's eyes.

Good luck, hope you find some answers soon.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
05-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Brenden

My Support Groups:
Thank you for your reply. Do you think my eyes look abnormal? I think I'm going to go the walk-in clinic tomorrow and see what they say.
05-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

They don't look like my son's do when his episcleritis is flaring. Since episcleritis runs concurrent with active disease flares of CD then his usually begins at the start of a CD flare and will sometimes subside before the flare fully does.

But since CD is so individual I do think it is important that you get it checked out. What may be severe in some could be mild in others. Also to be evaluated for the other eye issues that come up with CD it will require the eye equipment an ophthalmologist has.

Since you say there is some yellowing involved then a walk in clinic can check that as well.
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
mish2575

My Support Groups:
it does not look like episcleritis to me. my episcleritis is red only, no yellow. Not really veiny, either. just red, lots of red (and pink) on the whites of my left eye
06-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
sid

they are not inflamed.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Eyes » Please tell me my eyes are not inflamed! (PICS)