• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey from the hospital!

hey from the hospital!

Hey guys what's going on, my name is Joe...I'm 18 and from NJ. I had lyme's disease when I was 13 or 14. A little over two years ago I started feeling some Crohn's symptoms and soon later after a colonoscopy found out I had chrohn's. The disease was in a mild/moderate state at that point in time, but me being 16 and stubborn led me to believe there was actually nothing wrong with me because I felt fine after a few weeks of moderating my diet and taking pentasa. This is when I stopped taking pentasa and eating whatever again, and eventually I began to feel stronger symptoms.

I was hospitalized five times in the past few months. The first two with a bowel obstruction, the third time with a stricture that led to a perforated bowel which led to the most painful thing i've ever felt and an emergency temp-illeostomy surgery. They resected 20 inches of my intestine, most of it from my terminal-illeum and like 3 inches from my colon.

I've been feeling great from the time of that surgery (february) up until now but one day i noticed there was no output from my stoma, so after a day of waiting and running around and eventually throwing up i checked my self into the hospital. i was sent home probably a week later, thinking it was only a mechanical obstruction (me not chewing me food), so naturally i went back to a normal diet since i was trying to enjoy it before my reconnective surgery which was scheduled for this august. I was back in here two days later and have been struggling with passing foods, so it's been back and forth on my condition kinda for the past few days.

Thankfully I'm not in any pain, I listened to my parents this time and checked in as early as possible. So I've just been hanging out enjoying the wireless internet on the hospital, my diet keeps switching from nothing to clear liquids to full liquids to solids and back again, yesterday i passed a bunch of stuff but then drank some liquids and I've noticed some pressure and it's not passing again.

On monday I'm going to NY for a Colonoscopy and Illeoscopy and they're planning on bumping my reconnective surgery up to next week which is exciting! Additionally they are planning on resecting some more bowel if needed be, which is what it seems like. They're thinking the obstruction is a combination of residual Crohn's/adhesions.

I'm planning on changing my diet completely after surgery, I've already ruled out all meats and only eat fish...and I've been hearing a lot about the SCD diet, some people have sworn to me by the book "breaking the vicious cycle", so I'd love to hear any experiences you guys have with the diet it would really help.

Also, I blog about my Chrohn's/illeostomy escapades, so if you'd like to check it out check out my blog at www.teenageshitbag.blogspot.com. It's mostly me just making poop jokes and trying to make light of my situation while explaining what is going on. I'm fairly optimistic and hoping after this surgery I will be out of the woods for a while! Some of the stuff on there isn't really suitable for kids younger kids I feel, so make sure you check it out before showing to anyone really younger.

That's pretty much it about me, I'm a passionate musician, smoke pot (not sure whether I'm chalking that up to being a musician or the chrohn's haha), and am a pretty nice guy. Looking forward to reading more about other people's Chrohn's situations! :)

J

JillianB82

Welcome to the forum Joe!!!

Good luck on Monday. Please keep us updated!

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to ask if you are sure you no longer have Lyme disease. The reason I am asking is because I am aware of people who have a Lyme induced autoimmune disease. Occasionally it is Crohn's Disease.

Borellia Burgdorferi bacteria causes the immune system to become weak and work improperly, which can lead to an induced autoimmune disease. If you still have Lyme it is possible that your Crohn's is from the immune dysfunction caused by the Lyme.

It is more likely that you just have Crohn's, but Lyme Disease was, and sometimes still is thought of as an easily treated and cured disease, and that is often not the case. Tens of thousands have been treated and yet still have the disease.

My wife has Lyme Disease, so I have done a lot of research and seen first hand the wreck it can make out of the human body.

Dan

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

Dan, I only had run in with lyme's disease once, but the way the doctor explained it to me was that I would always remain dormant in my body but that I would no longer suffer the symptoms, so hopefully that's the case. Next time I visit my GI doctor I'll be sure to ask him if he thinks there's any possible relation though, my sister mentioned to me once that that could have possibly triggered everything but hopefully it didn't.

edit: I forgot to mention I'm going in for my reversal in a few hours! I'm updating from the hospital as we speak and I'm very excited. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
good luck Joe!! you'll probably have had it by now.. looking forward to hearing from you when you can focus on your pc screen long enough to type and say hi :)

dingbat said:
good luck Joe!! you'll probably have had it by now.. looking forward to hearing from you when you can focus on your pc screen long enough to type and say hi :)
thanks! i guess 6 and a half hours will do haha. I feel great, compared to my emergency perforation ostomy surgery from feb this is nothing. and i'm completely conscious and not even really depending on this morphine button they gave me.

i am so happy right now :) . the surgeon said everything went great and there was only 4 cm of Crohn's that seemed to be the problem and nothing else. i should be up on my feet in no time!

It's good to hear you so alert and excited so soon after surgery. I hope everything does continue to go well for you so you are on your feet in no time. :)

Hi Joe. I tried the SCD for 2 months and it helped, though I was only in a mild flare. the main problem on it for me was keeping my weight on as I couldn't eat much veggies and fruits..... . Another diet that may help is a healthy low residue diet with supplementation. A book that can help with this is "The new Eating Right for a Bad Gut". Good Luck....