Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Newly diagnosed

05-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Newly diagnosed

Hello! I am new to the group! I was just diagnosed with Crohn's after a colonoscopy and biopsy. I have been in treatment for Lyme Disease and coinfections for about 6 months with my main symptoms being "IBS." I have had symptoms for about 3 years. My GI doctor suspected microscopic colitis after the initial consult. After the colonoscopy, he reported erythema and congestion in the entire colon consistent with unspecified colitis. After a week, he called me and said the biopsy indicated Crohn's. He seemed a bit surprised and has ordered blood work to confirm the diagnosis and started me on Pentasis (two 500mg capsules 4x/day.) Just curious if others were diagnosed strictly by biopsy or if both that and blood tests are needed. I am very new to this and am trying to get a handle on what I have in store for me. I have a feeling I will learn a great deal from you all. Thanks!
05-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

My Support Groups:
My blood work and stool all came back normal and it was only under visualization via colonoscooy that I was diagnosed. In your case it sounds like you are microscopic or indeterminate and so the biopsy will hopefully be more telling.

We have a microscopic colitis forum you may find helpful
05-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed in the pediatric GI's clinic at the hospital. He did a sigmoidoscopy. All the other tests confirmed what he already knew.

I hope your treatment puts you in remission soon and you can get on with living. Best wishes.
Crohn's Disease
DX 1978 (12 yrs old)
Ileostomy at 19

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Newly diagnosed