Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » New Stoma-wax and size questions

05-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
New Stoma-wax and size questions

My son uses the Hollister no tape wafer. And he does the wax ring. Lately the wax squeezes out and is around the stoma. Wierd this never happened in the past month and half. Why is this happening? And the stoma was a red ball - like a cherry tomato-- now it's longer and looks like a funnel kind of. I used to not be able to see the lower part (Its a loop ileostomy), and now that is very visable. It also got bigger in the past 2 weeks. Went from 1 1/4 to 1 3/8. So not much bigger... Isn't it supposed to get smaller the longer after surgery?

Is all this normal?? Is this a flare?? He has no pain or cramps, etc.

Praying for Remission
Vedolizumab 8-8-14
Ileostomy 3/22/14
Multivitamin,Iron,Vit D

Total EEN 12-10-13 to:TPN 1-29-14 - 4-2-14
Tried:Azathioprine,Pred,Pentasa,Cimzia Bi weekly & MTX 9/2013 to 8/2014, Humira 1/2011-9/2013, w/oral mtx 5 mos in 2013. Remicade: Had allergic reaction Jan 2011 Built up antibodies by 3rd infusion.
Has done round of Flagyl due to abcess 12/10 and 10-21-13 which helped both heal quickly.
05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Kathy. The stoma changes a lot in the first 4-6 months. I wouldn't worry about changes.
Are you in regular contact with the stoma nurse? An appliance that worked for a month may no longer be effective.
I'm not familiar with the holster product currently used.

I use convatec Sur-fit with an Eakin seal. LOVE IT!!

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Btw-manufacturers are great at sending you free samples.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
05-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Most people do find theirs get smaller but I also found mine got bigger too. The stoma changes for weeks after surgery and any weight change can also lead to size changes.
05-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
Got a hold of our stoma nurse in Minnesota today. I feel much better. She confirmed all you both just said. This is a smart forum... and quicker at getting answers! Thanks

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » New Stoma-wax and size questions