• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stealth Belt

I'm looking into maybe getting one of these although I look a little pricey.

Does anyone on here have any experiences with them?

I currently use comfizz waistbands which are generally brilliant under my clothing for keeping everything tight etc but when I go on holiday the waistbands are a bit more obvious and i feel a bit insecure. the stealth belts look like they may be better but just wondering what other people thought, they seem to sell for around £90 which seems a lot of money for what it is.

nogutsnoglory

I bought one and they are good for intimacy or exercise. Other than that it's a pain to wear it horizontally all the time.

Nyx

When I first got my stoma, I bought one. I didn't like it as I hated the fact that my bag had to be on sideways and that doesn't work when you have thick stool. Might be better if your output is more liquidy, but not sure.

I reviewed the Stealth belt on my site, and would still recommend it. If you're ok with wearing your pouch horizontally (an appliance that you can rotate at will is best), then it's a great investment, especially for going out and sexy time.

Some insurance covers it, as far as I know, so you might want to see if they'll cover the expense (they aren't cheap).

afidz

Super Moderator
Veganostomy, can you copy and paste your review here for us to see? It sounds like great information to share !

Veganostomy, can you copy and paste your review here for us to see? It sounds like great information to share !
Here's a copy and paste of the review.

Stealth Belt – REVIEW
By VeganOstomy | October 23, 2013 | Osotmy, Product Review
One of the challenges that many ostomates face is that they’re often confronted with challenges when it comes to clothing and their new stoma. For some, having a pouch means they can’t wear their shirt tucked in comfortably or jeans are awkward to wear. For others, exercising or general activity is uncomfortable because of their “extra baggage”.

Many ostomates go YEARS without finding a solution and others try every accessory they get a hold of until the right one works. One solution that I’ve found is the Stealth Belt, which is a custom-made support belt, which offers a comfortable pocket to keep your ostomy pouch out of sight and secure.

The company offers several options, but I went with the Stealth Belt Pro. The Stealth Belt Pro seems to be the most popular and it’s fully customized, specifically to fir your flange size and waist size. I got mine for $110 + $10 for the “noise mufflers” (which I haven’t used) plus $49 for shipping to Canada. Because each belt is hand-made, it takes time to receive after an order is placed. I ordered mine on Sept 10, 2013 and received it Oct 8, 2013. A long wait, but it was well worth it.

Putting it on is pretty easy, your ostomy pouch fits into a pre-cut hole in the back of the bag and then it sits securely in a pocket inside the belt.

Here’s a “how-to” collage, courtesy of Stealth Belt.

It takes less than 30 seconds to put the belt on and set it up
More details instructions and a video can be found on the company’s “how-to” page, which can be found HERE

Once the belt has been secured and your pouch is happily resting in the pocket, you are good to go and enjoy whatever activity you like – the company’s founder even water skis with his! I usually wear the belt when I go out, but if you work in an office or enjoy the security it offers, you can wear the belt all day. Emptying your pouch while wearing the bag is easy enough, since there is a zipper on the bottom, which gives you access without the need to remove the belt. Keep in mind that it can take some practice to empty your pouch while it horizontal. I often rotate the pouch vertically, empty it, then rotate it back. If you’re pouching system allows this, it’s a handy tip to keep in mind.

I took a few photos so that you can see how it looks with different clothes on.

My black Stealth Belt – you can get them made in different colours and/or patterns

Low profile

Here are a few PROS and CONS that I’ve found with the belt. I’m not being paid for this review, so these are my honest thoughts after using my belt for a few weeks.

PROS:
- comfortable to wear, allows me to wear jeans with a belt, tuck my shirt in and even wear a seat belt without getting in the way.
- my pouch feels REALLY secure, which is great if you’re active
- the belt does offer a level of protection if your bag leaks
- the Stealth Belt is very well made. I was extremely impressed by the workmanship
- helps to maintain a low-profile of your pouching system.
- looks great, so if you’re on the beach, it’ll look like a simply support belt/fanny pack/exercice band.

CONS:
- shipping was expensive $49 to ship to Canada :(
- for the Stealth Belt Pro, your ostomy pouch must be placed in a horizontal position. If your pouch doesn’t rotate, this could be an issue.
- to add to the point above, wearing your pouch horizontally can also cause a problem if you have very liquid output as your stoma will “sit” in the the liquid output and this could reduce your wear time. I’ve read other reviews online and while this can be a potential problem, many other users don’t have this issue.
- “Noise Muffler” was a bit of a disappointment.

Closing comments:

While the Stealth Belt is an expensive accessory, I find that this investment will offer me years of comfort. US residents will pay less for shipping, so it’s a better value for those living State-side. If your ostomy is temporary, then you’ll have to decide if the cost is worth the short time you’ll have your stoma. I have yet to use my belt in the summer, and when I do, I’ll be updating this review as I’ll have a better idea of how the heat affects my comfort. I did purchase two “noise mufflers” for the Stealth Belt, which can be used for stoma protection, but I find that they put too much pressure on my stoma when wearing them in the belt, so I don’t use them. If I were doing contact sports, I’d likely opt for a harder stoma protector (like the Ostomy Armor or Freedom Guard by Stomaplex).

For more info and to order your own, visit the Stealth Belt site at www.stealthbelt.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I wear a 2 piece so getting it sideways wouldn't be a massive issue but I have quite a hight output so I'm not sure I'd want to have it sideways for long periods at a time. I'm currently waiting for some high waisted swimming shorts to turn up so if they turn out to be ok it might not be a problem.

Most of the time a leak occurs is it because there is not a good seal around the stoma. I use a skin barrier rings from hollister or coloplast. They seal the area around the stoma, which will keep leaks from happening and keep your skin healthy. To add some clarity, there are vertical and horizontal options available so the bag can be worn in any direction. The collage of photos shows an oder version, all current styles are made with an adjustable double locking closure. Have fun Swimming

Wow it does look extreme. It lend to get a bit of gas, was wondering how the stealth belt would cope with this. I'm sure it would still balloon. I like the ostomy secrets bands, but they just don't ship them OS from the USA anymore. I am actually looking for a similar style of product because my stock is starting to wear out.

It lend to get a bit of gas, was wondering how the stealth belt would cope with this. I'm sure it would still balloon.
I find the Stealth Belt to be the most comfortable with an empty pouch. If it's ballooned (from gas), it gets difficult to manage and won't keep things flat. Have you looked into the Osto EZ-Vent product? That might help to relieve your gas without removing your pouch or opening the pouch outlet.