• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Financial income

Please help if you can. My husband of 7 years now has not been able to keep a job because it always results in much pain and surgery. Hes only 26 and has had crohns since age 11. He doesnt qualify for c.p.p. ( cause hes too sick to work, having severe crohns disease.) And we are wondering if anyone knows how he/we can go about getting a disability pension for him. Or any income. Thanks everyone! :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I take it you are in Canada? Which province?
You need to contact disability in your province. They will give you forms that need to be filled out by your doctor. You can also talk to them about short term help while your disability claim is processed. It takes 3 mo for disability to be processed; at least in Ontario.

It's actually a fairly easy process. I heard people say what a nightmare it is and you need to fight for years. Not necessarily true.

Hey! Yeah I am from New Brunswick. Thank you so much for taking the time to give us advice. I have heard about disability forms are they the same as social assistance? Also, would service N.B. have these disability forms? Thanks Dave! You're fantastic! :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
I would think it would be the same in each province.
You can also PM me if you have other questions. In Ontario social assistance ( Ontario Works) is different from disability. Disability gives you more. You're not expected to look for work and the case is reviewed every couple of years. Once on disability look into the CRA Disability tax credit and RDSP (Registered Disability Savings Plan).

Happy to help.