• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Soooo.....what now

Hi everyone

I'm currently in the middle of getting diagnosed, i've been have Crohn like symptoms, for nearly 12 months now. Increased bathroom usage, more urgent need to go to the bathroom, really severe stomach ache, Fatigue.

First thing that i had done was blood tests and they showed that i had a B12 deficiency, which i have injections for every few months and foliate.

The first doctor i saw at the hospital said that his almost certain that its not IBS because it came on so fast an severe, and he got me to do an sigmontoscopy which came back relatively clear, expect patchy redness/inflammation on the inside of my rectum.

Then my symptoms got worse and i was in hospital for the day, so i had an MIR and a Colonsocopy , which have again both come back clear.

This is getting very frustrating , as i have crohn's in my family (on both my moms and dad's side) my symptoms are really limiting me on what i can do in my social time, as well as working (as sometimes i'm so tired i can't get out of bed, or i stress myself out worrying about need the bathroom i don't leave the house)

Has anyone else had a MIR and a Colonoscopy come back clear but still have had crohn's ?

Thanks all

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there.

It might be that you have inflammation in areas that the scope couldn't reach. The scopes can't see past the start of the small intestine so from there up doesn't get looked at .

Inflammation can show up on MRI scans but this might not happen if the inflammation is mild or only at the surface level of the intestines.

Have you had any blood work done?

I think the combination of your symptoms and the small amount of inflammation seen with the sigmoidoscopy are enough to warrant further investigation.

My next step would probably be to ask for an endoscopy or a pill cam.

Hi there.

It might be that you have inflammation in areas that the scope couldn't reach. The scopes can't see past the start of the small intestine so from there up doesn't get looked at .

Inflammation can show up on MRI scans but this might not happen if the inflammation is mild or only at the surface level of the intestines.

Have you had any blood work done?

I think the combination of your symptoms and the small amount of inflammation seen with the sigmoidoscopy are enough to warrant further investigation.

My next step would probably be to ask for an endoscopy or a pill cam.

I had blood tests, an it shows my b12 levels are very low

and yeah , just waiting on a appointment , ill push them to do either a endoscopy or a pill cam.

Thank you for the quick response

valleysangel92

Staff member
Okay, a deficiency is a sign that you aren't getting what you need from your food.

This is even more reason to keep pushing them as you may well have absorption issues caused by inflammation.

Hi - my son's crohns was diagnosed by colonoscopy but he had to have a barium xray to show up the small intestines so may be worth asking if you could have that procedure too. Good luck.

Can't see any mention of a calprotectin test? It just requires a stool sample and can show if inflammation levels are high. It would be worth asking your doctor if it would be a relevant test for you to have.