Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Cannabinoids in Breast Milk

05-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
ce1210

My Support Groups:
Cannabinoids in Breast Milk

I found this quite interesting as I've heard that breast milk could be good for crohn's and I wonder if breast milk vs. formula could have any bearing on a potential crohn's diagnosis later in life...now they find naturally occurring cannabinoids in breast milk too

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...14299904007423

an excerpt from the study:
Recent research suggests that the endogenous cannabinoids (“endocannabinoids”) and their cannabinoid receptors have a major influence during pre- and postnatal development. First, high levels of the endocannaboid anandamide and cannabinoid receptors are present in the preimplantation embryo and in the uterus, while a temporary reduction of anandamide levels is essential for embryonal implantation.
05-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There was a discussion in the parents section on this.
The informal non scientific discussion of parents of kids with Ibd showed for early childhood onset breastmilk in infancy made no difference either way .
My kiddo was breastfed past a year and still was dx by the age of 7 with signs of the disease around age 5.
05-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
ce1210

My Support Groups:
yea still quite interesting in the study they found that there were not enough CB1 receptors in a babies brain for them to have a psychoactive experience from the administration of cannabinoids which just furthers the science behind the fact that it is impossible to overdose. Perhaps doing a genetic prometheus test on babies of crohnies, and if positive begin a specific regimen of cannabinoid dosing...they are conducting studies for CF babies right now and it appears based on past research that cannabis could completely change the way CF is treated. I'd say once we get it out of the governments hands cannabis will change the way crohn's is treated as well. It keeps me in remission.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Cannabinoids in Breast Milk