Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Abdominal discomfort.. Can barley take it

05-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Abdominal discomfort.. Can barley take it

So I just had my 2nd round of Humira injections, three days ago. I am bloated and my whole stomach is hard as a rock. I can even see like gas bubbles moving around very low in abdominal area. VERY VERY painful. I've tried gas x and digestive advantage.. Nothing is working. Last night I threw up in the middle of the night, and couldn't sleep. Now I don't have an appetite for anything because I'm scared it's just going to make everything worse. Is it from the Humira? Anything remedy or over the counter things that will work until Tuesday when I can call my doctor? Please help I'm in too much pain.
05-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh my that is awful. I'd seriously consider a trip to the ER. My concerned would be there might be an obstruction.
I don't know of any OTC product that can deal with that pain. Have you tried a heating pad? Are you able to keep fluids down. I'd be concerned you're getting dehydrated.

Sending you my support. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
05-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
I've never heard of Obstruction before. Sounds a whole lot like my symptoms though. Last night I slept with a heating pad but I think it was making me way too hot. And that could be part of the reason I got sick. Yes I am keeping them down.. I am always dehydrated it seems like though. Thank you
05-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Unfortunately they can be very common in IBD. The reason I bring it up is because your stomach is hard and you are in a lot of pain. Obstructions can be very serious. I've had perforations from obstruction which have landed me in hospital for weeks. Please don't take any chances with this. At the very least they can give you iv fluids and pain meds. Perhaps some prednisone to reduce inflamation if that is the cause.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
05-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

press the obstruction link the first time it says it in the thread.
05-26-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Oh wow that sounds scary.. So normally they give you prednisone for it?
05-26-2014, 03:55 AM   #7
Daisy123
Zebrina, have your symptoms got any better? If not a trip to the ER might be the right thing. In the meantime, paracetamol for pain, I find soluble is the best. Avoid any type of opiate pain med as they will make things worse. Fluids only, nice hot bath and try to relax if you can. I use visualisation if I have bad cramps. I imagine I am on a beach with waves lapping against the shore and the sun on my face. Again, if things are still bad, go to the ER.
05-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh wow that sounds scary.. So normally they give you prednisone for it?
I think that depends on what the doctor finds. I've had them clear on there own in emerg. I get iv fluids and pain meds in the ER.
05-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
My symptoms haven't gotten much better. Last night I didn't throw up though, but I still didn't sleep at all from the pain. Warm baths do help me out and I haven't really been eating anything solid. I tried calling my doctors office but they are closed today. I really want to get in to see him tomorrow ASAP.
05-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Gave in and went to the ER last night, it was terrible. I was there three hours just for them to tell me to make any appointment with my doctor. They gave me medicine for neusea and not even rehydrate me. I was so mad! Then today I called my doctor thinking he could get me in or answer my questions and he isn't taking anyone for a week
05-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am sorry you got no help. That's awful.
05-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Trysha

My Support Groups:
Another thought---perhaps if you call your personal family physician they will help you, it is part of their job to do so.
It is appalling that your GI refused to help for a week, you need to look around for another more responsive one.
ER treatment is also unbelievable. Are you near a teaching hospital by any chance.,they should be more helpful.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha
05-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
My doctors office called me back and said they got ahold of my doctor. They set up an appointment June 19th but they gave me a prescription of Flagyl (metronidazole). Has anyone had this medicine? I think it is helping. They said if it doesn't help they are going to put me on a steroid.
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been on flagyl. I don't believe it does anything for inflammation (it's an antibiotic commonly given for IBD).
Do not touch alcohol or anything with alcohol in it including mouthwash.
I hope it works and you start feeling better soon.
05-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #15
Daisy123
I cannot stomach metronidazole literally. It turns me into Reagan from The Exorcist, in other words a projectile vomiting machine. But I think I am in the minority. Hope it makes you feel better soon.
05-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I was on Cipro and Flagyl for a little while. Flagyl is an antibiotic commonly prescribed for IBD, and also given for IBD-related infections (like fistula, etc, though that is likely not what you have). It has a side-effect of causing some diarrhea which may help with the possible obstruction you have. But I think you really need an MRI or to go to the hospital to get that treated -- if you had a hospital that you know specializes in IBD I would go there.

In the meantime, I'm glad you got a GI appointment. Maybe call and ask to be put on a cancellation list in the hopes you can get in sooner.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Joetpgn

prednisone what fixes me.
I have had all the same issues and when I go to the ER they call my Dr who gives me pain killers and prednisone.

Sorry I know the pain you feel.
05-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
The Flagyl isn't helping one bit. I'm back to laying in bed in tears on a heating pad. I think I need to be put on prednisone. I really just need something for the pain. My stomach is hard as a rock, I'm just so scared
05-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think you should get to the hospital. They need to treat you. Blood work, x-ray and something for pain.
Its not right that you should continue to suffer the way you have been.

Sending you my ongoing support.
05-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
Daisy123
I agree, if your stomach is hard, you should go to the ER. I can't understand why they didn't do a scan last time.
05-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
They did an X-ray and blood work and said everything came back normal, except in my X-ray there was some air pockets? I think. And said it could be from my Humira.
05-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
ruhereyet

Seems like a CT Scan would've been more appropriate given your symptoms, but I'm not a doctor. I agree with the others, though - back to the ER you go. Are you passing stool at all?

Flagyl made me vomit like no other. I won't take it anymore.

I'm so sorry about the lack of care you've received from your GI & Hospital. Good luck to you!
05-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Yes I am passing them, but my stool is just shooting right out of me. I feel like I'm going to throw up every ten minutes. Is that the Flagyl? Also feel like I'm having heartburn. It's hard to stay strong sometimes, I feel like I'm always crying now. I'm just scared to go back to the ER because I don't want them wasting my time and money again.
05-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #24
ruhereyet

I don't know what's going on, but for me, the Flagyl was the cause of all my nausea. However, you may have something else going on that's also causing it. I don't know what to suggest to you, except that I'd think your life is worth more than your money (although I genuinely understand not wanting to waste money at the ER). I'm sorry you feel so terrible.
05-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #25
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Alright I landed myself back in the ER because I've been throwing up all night let's see what happens now
05-31-2014, 02:08 AM   #26
gemling

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry, Zebrina. I hope that they actually help you out this time!
Mid-Sept 2014 Another blockage
Oct 2014 Started Infliximab

Current Medications:
Infliximab Infusions (Remicade), Loading doses
Azathioprine (100mg)
Pentasa (4g)
Supplements:
Adcal-D3 (1g)
Ferrous Fumarate (420mg)
Multivitamin
05-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #27
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I really hope you get the help you deserve and you can start to feel better soon!
06-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
Joetpgn

ER is right where I would go.
I pray all is well....
Please keep us up to date with any additional prayer needs.
06-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #29
Rickgren

My Support Groups:
Did they do anything?
06-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #30
LodgeLady

I cannot stomach metronidazole literally. It turns me into Reagan from The Exorcist, in other words a projectile vomiting machine. But I think I am in the minority. Hope it makes you feel better soon.

Same with me!!!

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Strictures & Obstructions » Abdominal discomfort.. Can barley take it