• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back pain with bowel obstruction?

So, my ex-partner, who has never had GI issues, has been having symptoms for the past week that sound an awful lot like a bowel obstruction. Here's how she describes it: Four hours or so after she eats she gets pain in the right side of her back under her rib cage that causes her stomach to cramp. She has a hard time passing gas or having a bowel movement, though she can go a little. She says that when she gets this pain it means she's going to be up all night vomiting.

She went to Urgent Care on Saturday and was told it's probably GERD and was given Prilosec. It's only been two days but it's not helping yet. She's currently having an episode. She's going to try to get in to see her regular doctor tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this back pain under the ribs with an obstruction? Or, for those experienced with GERD, does this sound like it? I'm really concerned for her.

Thank you!

I have back pain at the moment which is from a stricture that causes obstructions. Did they do any X-rays when she was at the hospital?

Unfortunately, no. He just wrote her a couple a prescriptions and sent her on her way. I hope they do imaging today.