• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipation after Colonoscopy?

Hi everyone.

I had a Colonoscopy Saturday just gone and since then, I have been really constipated and am starting to get a bit worried. After years of battling chronic diarrhoea, constipation is very out of the ordinary for me generally. I am yet to have a bowel movement since Saturday, I have tried going but feel like I am just pushing against a brick wall. I am very uncomfortable and I am cramping right now, with increased pain in my lower right abdomen. I would say my appetite is relatively normal but I am having bouts of nausea that come and go.

I just wondered if it is quite common to suffer with constipation following this procedure or whether it is something I need to be concerned about.

Thank you all in advance x

theOcean

It may be that your gut flora got messed up from the laxative, which happens for some people. You could try a probiotic or probiotic yogurt. Using that has actually stopped all straining for me, which has been wonderful. Otherwise, you could try a gentle laxative for the time being -- docusate sodium works with lots of water, or there's Miralax/Restoralax which I'd highly recommend and use myself.

Hi Mrs R, my last colonoscopy last month did the same thing to me. It was crazy as all my previous colonoscopies did not do that. Out of desperation and pain - I ordered a greasy pizza (one of my trigger foods - usually I can sop up the grease and it is ok - I left it all greasy this time) guess what - the pizza kicked in quickly and I was back to the chronic D.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you both so much for your responses - feeling much more reassured from what you have said.

I must be mad really to want to go back to 'normal' BM's but the constipation is becoming very uncomfortable and painful now. I will definitely try eating something I know usually sets me off and if I have no joy, I will take the laxatives you mention and hopefully it all gets my guts moving again.

Many thanks again, really appreciate it x