Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Constipation after Colonoscopy?

05-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Mrs_R

My Support Groups:
Constipation after Colonoscopy?

Hi everyone.

I had a Colonoscopy Saturday just gone and since then, I have been really constipated and am starting to get a bit worried. After years of battling chronic diarrhoea, constipation is very out of the ordinary for me generally. I am yet to have a bowel movement since Saturday, I have tried going but feel like I am just pushing against a brick wall. I am very uncomfortable and I am cramping right now, with increased pain in my lower right abdomen. I would say my appetite is relatively normal but I am having bouts of nausea that come and go.

I just wondered if it is quite common to suffer with constipation following this procedure or whether it is something I need to be concerned about.

Thank you all in advance x
05-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
theOcean

My Support Groups:
It may be that your gut flora got messed up from the laxative, which happens for some people. You could try a probiotic or probiotic yogurt. Using that has actually stopped all straining for me, which has been wonderful. Otherwise, you could try a gentle laxative for the time being -- docusate sodium works with lots of water, or there's Miralax/Restoralax which I'd highly recommend and use myself.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Ali29

My Support Groups:
Hi Mrs R, my last colonoscopy last month did the same thing to me. It was crazy as all my previous colonoscopies did not do that. Out of desperation and pain - I ordered a greasy pizza (one of my trigger foods - usually I can sop up the grease and it is ok - I left it all greasy this time) guess what - the pizza kicked in quickly and I was back to the chronic D.

Hope you feel better soon!
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.
05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Mrs_R

My Support Groups:
Thank you both so much for your responses - feeling much more reassured from what you have said.

I must be mad really to want to go back to 'normal' BM's but the constipation is becoming very uncomfortable and painful now. I will definitely try eating something I know usually sets me off and if I have no joy, I will take the laxatives you mention and hopefully it all gets my guts moving again.

Many thanks again, really appreciate it x
05-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
theOcean

My Support Groups:
As a person who has been dealing with chronic constipation for awhile, I can definitely say you aren't mad for preferring diarrhea. Good luck!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Constipation after Colonoscopy?