• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly Diagnosed

Hey all, I have had what I would consider a "sensitive gut" pretty much as long as I can remember. But about 7 months ago i started having severe cramping around my belly button area that would last anywhere from 3-10 hours, the cramping would usually be followed by about a week of diahrea/upset stomach followed by a week or two of feeling good then the cramps would hit me again starting the cycle over once again. Went to the emergency room the second time I had bad cramps and was diagnosed as being constipated, even though I told the doctor I had gone to the bathroom less then 6 hours ago!
About a month afterwords I was having some strange dizzy spells and just felt run down a lot of the time, decided it was time to visit my doctor and see whats going on. After some blood tests where run, he diagnosed me with having Iron Deficiancy Anemia, and decided with my stomach problems that I should visit a GI doctor to check for any bleeding. Met with the GI the first time for a consult, he was very thorough finding out my history and any little symptom that I have had in the past. Decided that he would give me a Upper Endoscopy and also a Colonoscopy for starters. The Upper Endo showed that I had some damage done to my esophagus from acid reflux, so he put me on prilosec for 1 year to clear that up. The colonoscopy, which i was really not looking foward too really went well I thought, the prep stinks, but the procedure was a breeze. Watched the entire thing. During the procedure he found ulcers in the Terminal Ileum area, took many different biopsies there and also in my colon. The colon was fine though, but just wanted to make sure there was no issue that he could not see. The doctor felt very strong by what he found that this was Crohns. The results of the biopsies showed non-specific ulceration. Asked the nurse that called me with the results, so does that mean I do not have Crohn's? She replied well, "not exactly" Well the doctor decided that it was time to do a CT scan to check the rest of the small intestine out and scheduled it for what would be this Friday.
Well Tuesday night I tryed to go to bed but I started to get severe cramps again in the same area and decided after not being able to sleep all night that I would go to the ER. I was having a severe cramp when they were taking my vitals, had a blood pressure of 204 over 107! They immediately gave me some pain meds through the IV started feeling better right away. The ER doctor decided that it was time to do the CT scan. The reults came back and the doctor told me that I had a "very angry" small intestine that was imflammed causing my issues, and that being history and the results from my colonoscopy pretty much pointed directly to Crohn's disease, the on call GI also agreed. So the doctor put me on 40mg of prednisone for 5 days followed by a step down to 20 mg there after and also some vicodin for pain. Still have to wait another 3 weeks to see my normal GI though! As scary as this all seems, its nice to know whats going on finally and to be able to get some relief in the future, hopefully.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Welcome to the Forum, Olson!
You've found a great bunch here. Everyone is so nice, knowledgeable, and understanding.
I just can't believe the doctor left you with an answer of " you have a very angry small intestine." Wow. Thanks, "doc." Sometimes they can be so... cold, maybe? I don't know. I had to go through 2 to find my 3rd and current one.
But anyhoo, I hope you get official answers soon!!!

Welcome to the forum Olson! Glad you got some answers and to be on your way to feeling better! Keep us posted on everything!

J

JillianB82

Welcome to the forum!!!! I hope you start to feel better soon!!!! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, doing pretty good I think with just the Pred so far, side effects stink though. Just weird emotions and hungry all the time it seems! Still have another 2 weeks before i get to meet with my GI for a treatment plan though.