Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » MRE drink improved

05-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Bareket

MRE drink improved

Hi All- At the hospital now with my daughter for her MRE- they recently switched the drink they give as prep. This one is very palatable. It is water and miralax- basically tasteless. She is currently swallowing her 2nd out of 3 cups of the mix. The prep nurse said that the kids had such a hard time getting down the other one that they switched. They will do the contrast solution via IV. Will keep you all posted on progress and results.
05-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Usually mine is pretty tasteless just a little lemony not sure if that's the new new one or not.
05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
I hope they have that here next time Jack has to have one as I don't know if I could get him to drink it again. He said it was the worst stuff ever. The nurse tried to tell him it tasted like blueberries, he very promptly informed her that was not the case.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
05-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Bareket

Hi Jm- hope your hospital switches. This prep mix was easy to take.

Procedure is over and I have a cd of the results. Of course I popped the disk in my computer and I'm trying to read the results compared to images on line. It's hard and I can't tell what I'm looking at. I hope they call soon.

Does anyone know why the MRI is so loud? What is it doing?
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
A. The banging is the vibration of metal coils in the machine caused by rapid pulses of electricity, said Dr. Keith Hentel, chief of emergency/musculoskeletal imaging at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

Magnetic resonance imaging produces images of the body by causing shifts in a very strong magnetic field and measuring how tissues react, Dr. Hentel said. The principal magnet of an M.R.I. scanner commonly is strong enough to produce fields 60,000 times the strength of the earth’s natural magnetic field.

Inside the scanner are coils of metal wire called gradient coils. When electricity is passed through such a coil, a magnetic field is created. Rapid pulses of electricity cause predictable changes in the field, resulting in tissue changes that can be measured and transformed into anatomic images.

The pulses cause not just the desired changes but undesired vibrations of the gradient coils, resulting in the banging heard during an M.R.I. examination.

As stronger magnets result in stronger vibrations, the higher the field strength of the M.R.I. scanner, measured in teslas, the louder the banging, Dr. Hentel said.

In a three-tesla system, a strength common in clinical practice, he said, these sounds may be as loud as 125 decibels, equivalent to a rock concert or a balloon popping near the ear. That is why ear protection is recommended.
Here is what I found from NY Time answer section
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Bareket

Thanks JM! I never knew so many obnoxious sounds could be made by one machine.
05-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
Yes it is very loud luckily I was able to forewarn Jack as I had one done on my knee when I blew it out and the lying still as they had to retake mine because my leg was shaking because I was trying to hold it so still and I couldn't straighten it very well and it hurt!
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Essieluv

I had a CT scan last month and the prep was different. It was sterile water with some kind of clear, tasteless powder mixed in. I think it must have been similar to your experience, Bareket. The hospital I go to is a teaching hospital, and is linked to a university so that may be why the prep was new? That's the only explanation I can think of, as other hospitals in the same city use the old nasty prep.

Waiting for a cure!
05-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Bareket

hi Essie- Yes, you had the same drink. Wasn't bad, eh?
05-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Essieluv

It was lovely! I would drink that stuff any day
06-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
Bareket

hi All- My daughter's MRE was completely clean. We have no indication of inflammation anywhere as the endoscopy and the colonoscopy were also clean, except for an inflamed duodenum and the biopsies from that were clean. It seems that she probably doesn't have Crohn's at this point.
06-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
chuckmya

I've had the CT prep as well!!!! Nothing like the MRE prep! Ugh! Very sweet tasting. After one sip I was thinking to myself how was I gonna be able to finish 3 big cups of this stuff! The first bottle was pretty watery buy sweet. The second was even worse as it was thick.....almost reminded me of the consistency of mucous! Sorry so graphic! I think I vomited 3 times drinking that one but swallowed it not wanting to hafta return for that test again!!! And again the 3rd container was like the first.....watery and extremely sweet!! I would take the colonoscopy prep or the CT prep hands down over this MRE prep! It was horrendous!!! Not fun @ all!!!
07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
jamesmom

My Support Groups:
Bareket - My son is having an MRE tomorrow and he is concerned about the solution that they will make him drink. I see you're in Englewood, by any chance did you have the procedure at Hackensack?

Colazal, 750mg 3X/day
Budesonide, 9mg daily
6MP, 37.5mg daily
Slow FE iron supplement (2 tablets)
Centrum Children's Multivitamin

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » MRE drink improved