• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What I did today :)

Nyx

I was asked by a friend a while ago to come into her school and speak about my stoma. At first I was all gung-ho about it and excited. I agreed immediately and didn't think much of it till last night. Then I got to thinking (which we all do), "what if they're grossed out?". Or, how will they receive me? Or, what if I forget what to say?? I went through every scenario in my head, and they all turned out horribly.

So, I had actually pondered cancelling the whole thing. But I didn't. And it was amazing! Once I got going, they couldn't shut me up! The talk was supposed to be for half an hour, and I wound up being there for over an hour. They were excited to talk to me and ask any questions that popped into their heads. It was really a great experience. Apparently it was so good that the teacher wants me to come back next year and talk again :)

Not a bad day!

Nyx, that is wonderful! I'm glad you could be there to talk about your stoma, I'm always worried about telling people (not because I'm worried about their judgement, but rather because I'm worried about them being grossed out). I'm glad you could speak to them and he'll them grow.

In another matter, I hope you are doing well.

Right on, Nyx! I'm usually showing off my stoma to my friends, but have never had to contemplate doing it in a roomful of people. I get how you might have been anxious the night before, but I'm glad it worked out so wonderfully...yay for you!

Kismet

Well done, Nyx! There are lots of people out there who don't have any idea what a stoma is. People have said to me: "My friend/grandmother/uncle... has a stoma but I didn't want to ask about it." Spreading the information helps all ostomates.