Share Facebook

07-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
natgl

Alcohol

Ok, I know youll probably say "are you trying to kill yourself"... haha Im not talking when your flaring but when you feel better, what type of alcoholic drinks can you mostly tolerate without a problem or too much or a problem?
07-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
DanSJVDavis

Mixers. I can usually tolerate anything but beer. I typically drink Lady Bligh Rum, Irish Mist, Limoncello, Ancient Age Bourbon, Meade, or Irish Whiskey. I'll also go with flavored vodka. The latest was an awesome vodka called Pinnacle Strawberry-Kiwi flavored Vodka. Awesome in sprite and also poured over watermelon chunks!

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
saidinstouch

I go for wine and tequilla primarily, not together of course. Rum and vodka go ok as well. Basically if I drink in moderation it doesn't really have a noticeable effect on me.
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
misscris

DanSJVDavis said:
The latest was an awesome vodka called Pinnacle Strawberry-Kiwi flavored Vodka. Awesome in sprite
Oh gosh that sounds good. I want one. Right now.

W.C.C.....Charter member
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
DanSJVDavis

misscris said:
Oh gosh that sounds good. I want one. Right now.
Got a little bit left. Now if I can just figure out how to pour it through my PC to get it to you...hrmmm. If I go offline for a while, you know why....

07-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
misscris

DanSJVDavis said:
Got a little bit left. Now if I can just figure out how to pour it through my PC to get it to you...hrmmm. If I go offline for a while, you know why....

I have a feeling if you could figure out how to do anything through your PC like that, you wouldn't stick to just pouring and offering drinks.

BUT .. I've got an empty glass sitting right here just in case. It sound so yummy!
07-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
DanSJVDavis

Nevermind. My tech friend said he didn't want to fix my computer yet again, after he recently did it. But at least you know the name of it. It's a 70 proof and tastes crazy good.
07-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
AvsGuitarist

Dry red wine. Cabernet is my vice!

Drugs, Vitamins/Day:
-4.5mg LDN
-Completed Rifaximin Treatment (1 Pill - 3x/DAY) + SCD Yogurt Probiotic
-5000mg EPA Fish Oil, -1,000 IU D3, -1mL B12 (Self-Injected Shots)

GO AVS
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Yvonne1

I love a glass of chilled white zinfandel wine - could drink the bottle! Used to drink vodka and lemonade but cant handle fizzy juice now. x

Diagnosed Crohn's July 2008
Currently on: 40mg Pred, 125mg Aza & Sulfasalazine
Location - Fife, Scotland
Age - 33
07-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #10
bigtruck

Yvonne1 said:
I love a glass of chilled white zinfandel wine - could drink the bottle! Used to drink vodka and lemonade but cant handle fizzy juice now. x
had a couple of bottles of white zinfandel last night,best anacestic in the world
07-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
natgl

DanSJVDavis said:
Mixers. I can usually tolerate anything but beer. I typically drink Lady Bligh Rum, Irish Mist, Limoncello, Ancient Age Bourbon, Meade, or Irish Whiskey. I'll also go with flavored vodka. The latest was an awesome vodka called Pinnacle Strawberry-Kiwi flavored Vodka. Awesome in sprite and also poured over watermelon chunks!
I know when I have Smirnoff that is a big killer for me... so I guess this means all types of vodka isnt good
07-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

I can tell you what NOT to drink - Screwdrivers!
07-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Red wine is good for me. I can handle a beer or two, no more than that. Haven't really tried anything else. Use to like to drink screwdrivers, voka and cranberry, and Jagermeister. Haven't had them lately though just mixed drinks at restaurants...always go with something with rum or vodka in it, something fruity.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
07-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
DanSJVDavis

Santos61198 said:
I can tell you what NOT to drink - Screwdrivers!
Yeah, I tried drinking one of those, but the screwdriver got caught in my throat and once I finally got it down it played havoc trying to come out the other end.

07-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Cookie

Up until this past weekend, red wine was my absolute vice. Love it! Love it! Love it! But last Friday...OMG! It probably had something to do with the quantity , but Saturday was a day I never want to experience again! I still don't think I've properly recovered. Ugh.

Since I stopped tolerating beer a couple of years ago, I'll be on the wagon for a while...plus I'm back on the flagyl...

That brings me to another point. Has anyone ever had any alcohol while on flagyl? I have heard that the absolutely no alcohol thing is a myth. I am not willing to sacrifice my gut to find out, but I was just curious.
07-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

DanSJVDavis said:
Yeah, I tried drinking one of those, but the screwdriver got caught in my throat and once I finally got it down it played havoc trying to come out the other end.

That's why you need to get hammered instead lol
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
DanSJVDavis

Santos61198 said:
That's why you need to get hammered instead lol
Isn't there a picture of that somewhere around here?
07-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

LOL there sure is... and it looks just terrible
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
DanSJVDavis

I bet his @ss was draggin' in the morning. heh!
08-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
SilverWillow

When i'm not flaring, wine is my vice! I love love love wine. Nothing better than a chilled bottle of wine, a takeaway and a dvd for a lazy night in.

I have been known to have a little tipple when i'm flaring, but I had vodka and coke and I was ok. On another occasion I had a couplle of glasses of wine and I was terrible afterwards. I haven't done that again.
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #21
Jared

Rum+coke is good for me. I like to take a little swig of rum and chase with the coke, that way I drink way less coke overall
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
07E60

I've been told by many gastroenterologist's to avoid alcohol all together.
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
Everlong

I found I was okay with beer as long as I limited it to 2 pints in one night and then didn't drink again for a week or so. Although, if I drank less than that per night but drank multiple nights in a row I would have a lot of problems.

I recently decided that its just not worth it to me if it is potentially doing long term damage, no matter how minor. It wasn't too tough a decision though since I've never really been a heavy drinker.

I'd really like to still be able to enjoy some red wine once in a while, and I have been meaning to do some tests to find out if it is okay or not. I haven't gotten around to testing yet, so I'm not drinking at all right now.
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
einarborg1

ok am not trying to promote illigal stuff but, I drink Beer, Vodka, Teqilla you name is I drink it, Vodka+RedBull is just super for me BUT I have a litill trick to keep all of this in order.

Now if I only drink alcahol i get sick but if I maby smoke Just alitel Weed I m tottal fine... I do not recomend this for pepole that do not smoke but if you do Its some thing to try out. Now I sound like a junkie but im so not I just found out that to be abel to drink and like a normal person and on the + side of thing I dont get a bad ass hengover aftur this

Befor I did this just one or two beers maid me STOP, DROP AND ROLE

Im just Telling pepole what works for me
11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
CrohnsHobo

Shadycat said:
That brings me to another point. Has anyone ever had any alcohol while on flagyl? I have heard that the absolutely no alcohol thing is a myth. I am not willing to sacrifice my gut to find out, but I was just curious.
Don't do it. It has an antabuse effect, not something you want to do.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
11-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #26
la la

Shadycat I was told that NO alcohol when you are on flagyl it will cause vomiting and it is not good. I don't think it is a myth. My sister tried it and she was so sick..
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #27
jessicad9

I've found that i can't drink beer really at all anymore.. one maybe two at the most. I never had a problem before I was diagnosed. Also, no coolers for me..the sugar is the killer. I have found that vodka or rum are ok. I can't mix them with pop. I don't drink very often but when i do i just mix water and vodka and sometimes a bit of crystal light mix. I have never had a problem with vodka and water. Wine is sometimes ok..but only in small amounts. Hope that helps a bit.. but it is different for everyone. I have found that most people I know with Crohn's have a problem with beer though so I would caution to be careful with beer and also dark liquors.
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #28
pewpewlasers

There's something about beer that I have never been able to do. Malt liquors make me sooooo tired.
12-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
Miss Rose

I am so missing wine. Does anyone drink while on pred (and pentasa). My doctor said no but I am so tempted over Christmas. Will someone please tell me a small glass will be OK.

But then I so want to get well - maybe it is not worth the risk.
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #30
farm
Captain Insaneo

Alcohol has never bothered my Crohns. Except wine, oh how I hate wine
I only drink on occasion though.