Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group

06-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #301
gmm

My Support Groups:
well doc didnt want me to take some pred along with the humira as it might mask what the humira is doing at the mo, getting a bit fed up now of walking about like a 90 year old duck and struggling to get out of a chair now lol, the humira has done great cept for the extra trips to the bog and this joint pains, just hope they aint gonna stop it before i try pred with it as well
06-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #302
serene

My Support Groups:
Hi there Can1991

The humira was a great help to my joint pain as well as any other symptoms, but after 2 great years, I'm having a bit of a flare up. I am from the Minto area (Ripples). Is your Dr in F'ton? I am sorry that my Dr from F'ton is leaving in July. Hope to find a good replacement. Hope to see you around here again!
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #303
can1991

Hi there Can1991

The humira was a great help to my joint pain as well as any other symptoms, but after 2 great years, I'm having a bit of a flare up. I am from the Minto area (Ripples). Is your Dr in F'ton? I am sorry that my Dr from F'ton is leaving in July. Hope to find a good replacement. Hope to see you around here again!
Hi Serene, Yes My Dr is in F`ton also. Dr Fallows. He is awesome. I sure am going to miss him! I just started Humira last week. Seem to be doing great. Nice to know some one on here close by!

Diagnosed May 2009
Imuran 150 mg daily
Humira 40 mg weekly
Prednisone 25 mg and tapering weekly
Calcium Carbonate 500 mg x2 daily
1000 iu Vit D
Multi Vitamin
06-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #304
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey Serene!

I started Humira a little over 3 years ago. I started out on one shot every 2 weeks, and I got really sick and went into the hospital, and went on one shot per week, and now a year after that I'm still having problems!! Crazy. It was awesome when it worked really good.

Sadie turns 2, 4/5/13!
06-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #305
serene

My Support Groups:
Hey Serene!

I started Humira a little over 3 years ago. I started out on one shot every 2 weeks, and I got really sick and went into the hospital, and went on one shot per week, and now a year after that I'm still having problems!! Crazy. It was awesome when it worked really good.
Thanks for responding! The humira has worked great for me--1 shot a week, for 2 years, but I'm having some problems again. Are you on any other meds for crohns beside the humira? I see my dr this week and I'm wondering what the solution will be.
06-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #306
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I am on Pentasa, and now down to only 10 mg of prednisone - 5 starting next week!

I just had a colonoscopy done and I still have ulcers and inflammation in my illeum and still just not having very many good days. My doc is waiting for this new drug to come out called Natalizumab (its an infusion like Remicaid) so it looks like I'm going to switch from the Humira.
06-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #307
Lucy

My Support Groups:
I have been on Humira for almost a year. I started at every other week, and when that didn't work I went to once a week. It has helped, but I still have issues if I don't eat right. Abdomen pain on occasion, but not very often. I have been able to use the assistance program and for one year I only pay $5.00 a month. Yes just $5.00 a month. My normal copay is $50 and insurance picks up the rest(thank goodness). My GI docs office gave me all the info I needed to call and get set up for the assitance. I set out the injection for 5-10 mins. and give it in the abdomen. No thigh ever again!!! If I can get this heartburn and nausea under control I would be a lot happier.
06-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #308
serene

My Support Groups:
I'm hoping to stay on humira when I see the dr this week. It has worked much more effectively than any other meds I have been on. I'm thinking they may put me on something else along with the humira. And yes, Lucy, I tried the injection once in the upper leg----never again!!! Abdomen all the way!
06-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #309
gr123

My Support Groups:
46 year old Male.

Had my third resection in February so Doc said it was time to try Humira.

Had 4 injections yesterday afternoon. i think I'm already feeling it but maybe it's just my wishful thinking.

I'll report back soon.
06-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #310
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Welcome gr123 to the forum! I was on Humira too, the shots were easy and convenient. I am assuming you opted for the pens? I used the syringes. I hope it works well for you.

It would be wonderful if you could put your story on a Your Story thread, that way everyone can welcome you and help you on their same journey. Welcome aboard, hope you join us!
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #311
ChefShazzy

Hi gr123, some people have had great success with Humira, I wish you the best of luck!
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
06-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #312
gr123

My Support Groups:
I just added my story.
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #313
gmm

My Support Groups:
heya folks just back from the hosp and another humira jab been lucky wih the last 3 as i havent felt a thing just a small sting every time, but the joint pains have gotten worse the last 3 weeks or so and have been put on sulphasalazine, heres hopeing this gets rid of the pains as its getting to the stage i cant be bothered getting out of a chair anymore lol,anyone else tried this stuff?
06-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #314
belle1999

I am on humira and sulpha. I don't have any joint pains.
I would think the humira might help with the joint issues you are having, though. I know others have said it has helped their joint pains.

http://www.facebook.com/sarahbelle99
06-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #315
gmm

My Support Groups:
heya belle ty, the humira on its own has really helped the gut and pains but ive been on pred for so long that my joints are having a hard time getting used to not being on it now, well, thats what the doc told me 8 years on high dose, as its all that would work and heving really bad reactions to azathioprine and mercaptopurine, so heres hoping the humira/sulh mix works
06-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #316
Busy

Last time I was on Humira it really worked well for me combined with 20mg weekly Methotrexate. Now I just started back on Humira (without the MTX) last week so I thought I'd come sign up for the Humira club

p.s. I use the Pens to inject but I find the injection really painful both in the leg and in the tummy. It's really OUCHY.

Crohns Disease
Duodenitis
Psoriasis
Psoriatic Arthritis
Underactive Thyroid
Osteopenia

-------------------------------------------

When life hands you psoriasis, don't crumble...
06-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #317
gmm

My Support Groups:
heya busytucker, pens here also for a needlephobe i think theyre the best thing since sliced bread, i even put off using it for two years because there was needles involved lol,, and yep the legs sting a bit more than the belly, i just go for the same area each fortnight and hardly feel it, hope you get used to it soon
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #318
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Hi. I'm in the Humira Club. I started it a couple of years ago after a long and difficult battle with my insurance. I was started on the pens. The nurse who taught me how to inject was really surprised that it hurt so bad. Not the needle, which I don't really even feel, but the drug itself. I'm sure you understand.

I'm not convinced that it is helping. When I was diagnosed, the only real symptoms I noticed was severe pain (and it only happened twice). So I haven't had the pain since starting the Humira, but I also stopped eating the foods that give me pain, so that might be more the reason why than the Humira. I still have a lot of watery BMs that seem to be mostly bile.

The one thing Humira did cure for me was my dandruff. I started using Humira when I was 22 I think. I started getting crazy bad dandruff when I was 18, and after starting the Humira it is gone. Has anyone else had this experience? I haven't found any information about dandruff being affected by anti-TNF drugs, or dandruff involving TNF. It's just my theory/experience, but I'm really curious about it.
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #319
Busy

Diesanduhr, I have psoriasis particularly badly on my scalp but humira clears it up completely. Last time I was on Humira I went into complete remission regarding the psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis with dramatic improvement with my Crohn's.

Anyhoo, my point is that although it wasn't dandruff, it certainly was a scalp condition that was totally cleared up by Humira. I'm back on the Humira again now and looking forward to being clear again soon
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #320
katiesue1506

For people with painful injections, try injecting higher up on the legs. I noticed they hurt less towards the top and towards the inside. The best way I can describe the area is about 2.5-3 inches below the place where your leg starts and about an inch from the center.
06-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #321
ameslouise

That's where I have taken my last couple of injections and for me it hurts way less than in the stomach.

But I don't find any of them to be particularly painful - I guess it's all relative. Have any of you ever had a Heperin shot?!? Now THAT hurts!
06-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #322
ChefShazzy

I've had many heperin shots, never found them to be particularly painful... It hurts way more to inject the Humira into my stomach. That's just me, I guess!
06-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #323
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I refused the heparin shot last time I was in the hospital, so none for me!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
07-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #324
ChefShazzy

OK, so... I continue to have injection site reactions, despite taking Benadryl for 3 days leading up to my shot... I'll be speaking with my doctor to discuss what I should do next, but I wanted to ask if any of you have some advice or have had similar reactions... What did you do?

The reaction starts out as a welt almost immediately after doing the injection, and then gets very red, swollen, itchy and hot, and lasts 3-5 days. Quite large, too; the swelling pretty much covers the front of my thigh. (I usually do injections in my thigh, alternating legs each time). And the itchniess... It's driving me nuts! The only way I can describe it is that it itches on the INSIDE... no amount of rubbing or scratching or ice packs seems to make it go away. And I've got the max amount of Benadryl already in my system.

I'm kind of frustrated (OK, REALLY frustrated), because otherwise I am feeling so much better. But these reactions are presenting a whole new set of problems. Really, though, I would put up with the reactions as they are now, but my concern is that they will keep getting worse and I will have no choice but to discontinue the treatment. My next option is probably going to be Remicade. I don't know how I feel about that. Aaaaargh, help!
07-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #325
beth

My Support Groups:
What about trying tummy next time? or does it hurt way to much anyway...
07-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #326
gmm

My Support Groups:
yep i would try the belly jag too, didnt like the leg ones as they stung like hell somehow, the last 3 ive done ive hardly felt a thing other than the pressure of the pen, also i think that taking the pen out of the fridge for about an hour so the liquid reaches room temp makes a diff to the stinging as well
07-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #327
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I've been having issues all of a sudden with really bad bruising with my injections. Tuesday, luckily enough, I also had an appointment with my GI and showed him and he said it looked like another "superficial" injection.

I forgot to mention on this thread, but earlier in the month I thought I had a pen misfire and had to call Humira and report the whole thing because I didn't get all of the medicine injected in and it went underneath my skin instead of into my muscle. So, I had a huge "swell" where the medicine sat underneath the skin. Not itchy or anything. The next day it had gone down as my body absorbed the liquid.

After that experience, I had a normal injection the next couple times and then this past Tuesday I had a crazy bruise again. And as I injected the pen it felt kind of like the time I had the misfire and felt a delay in the needle being injected in, followed by pain, and then some bleeding upon removing the needle. And then it swelled up some and bruised. Now it's a big purple bruise. so, maybe all of a sudden, I am not injecting them properly!? The doc said maybe I'm not pinching enough skin. I guess it's possible. I haven't been paying too much attention since I thought I had it down by now.

Anyone else experience the bruising from not pinching enough skin before injecting?
07-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #328
katiesue1506

I've actually heard not to pinch your skin. If you pinch, it presses the blood out of the area momentarily but then it rushes back in after the pinch.

here's what I've noticed:

If I don't let the liquid heat to room temp, it hurts
If I don't ice the area enough, it hurts
If I ice the area for too long, a bruise forms because all of the blood has been brought to the surface
If I inject too low on the legs, it hurts and bleeds a lot
If I hit a nerve... it really hurts
If I pinch the skin, it bleeds more because I've already brought blood to the surface by pinching
If I let my leg get uncold before I inject, it hurts

What I try every time is to let the pen sit at least for 15 mins, sometimes I help the process along by using the heat of my hand to heat the pen. Then I let the ice sit on my leg for 2-3 minutes. After that I quickly swab the area with alcohol, fan off the area with my hand to dry it and then I place the pen directly on my leg (higher up) with no pinching and I push the button. I pull it straight out after I either hear the wooshing sound or see the yellow in the window. Sometimes I'll have a little blood, but usually its not anything to worry about.
07-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #329
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
You know, when I called Humira to report the misfire, the nurse actually told me "there is no wooshing sound." Obviously, she doesn't have experience with the injector pens. Nice...haha.

Don't the instructions SAY to pinch the skin? That's interesting about not doing that, but I give my shots in my tummy. I would think it'd be difficult to do it sans pinch in the belly. I also never use ice and always let my pens sit for about an hour. I have no problem with pain or a little bit of blood, but it's the CRAZY bruising that;s been happening lately that make me wonder if I'm suddenly doing something wrong. I'll have to post a picture to show what I mean.

07-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #330
David in Seattle

I wonder if any of you have experienced/heard of a reaction like the one described in this thread on another page http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/c/9...umira-reaction After you read the initial post from "Jean" at the top of the page, click "View Comments" at the lower left for more experiences/observations. Apparently pretty rare, but it sounds like something Humira users might want to be aware of.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group