Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group

11-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #31
shazamataz

What does that mean Ris? Are they trying something else? Did you get any answers??!!!
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
forum contributor
Captain Obvious

No answers regarding whether it's Crohn's or UC still.... but GI agrees that the Humira isn't working for me. I have the HIDA scan for gallbladder on 11/12, and I think he wants to deal with that first, and keep trying to figure out the C/UC issue right after that. That's also when I get to see a nutritionist.... hurray for me.

Not sure if I need another colonoscopy at this point, since I've been dx'd and undx'd 3 times now in the last year. Seems as though my intestines are playing games...
12-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #33
beth

My Support Groups:
Blood test on thursday in prep for joining the club...
I'm excited, and scared. This'll be No.4, if I don't get bad side effects I just might start believing there is a god.
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #34
katiesue1506

if I don't get bad side effects I just might start believing there is a god.
Ahh Beth!!! Don't let them get you!!!! lol KIDDING, KIDDING...

maybe
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #35
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
There definitely are Crohn's gods....Don't let them mess with you!! Good luck Beth.
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #36
beth

My Support Groups:
Oh I wasn't thinking bad gods, just the God of innocent childhood that makes nice stuff happen.
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #37
emily851

I recently started humira, about 3 weeks ago and was wondering how long it takes to start working. I have had crohns for 6 years but stopped responding to treatments this fall and my Dr. decided to start Humira. I have been having excruciating pain for about 2 months now and it is pretty unbearable. Everyone says to keep with the humira and that it will start working but i am not sure how much more of this pain i can take. With out my pain pills i am useless. Any advice?
12-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Emily I did it for about 8 weeks, and it didn't work for me. My bowel was too far gone by the time I started Humira....Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer. I hope you get some relief.
12-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #39
Crohn's_Doll

I started humira too, the nurse did the first shot, I did the other 3. 2 in stomach 2 in legs. They said it would take up to 3 months to start working. Next two shots are in another week.
12-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #40
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Yeah Crohn's Doll! I hope it does the trick for you.
12-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #41
beth

My Support Groups:
Joined the H club this morning
Did 2, got another 2 to do this evening on my own. No hassle, a bit of a pain but not as bad as I was expecting.

Phew!
12-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #42
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Chron's Doll and Beth!! YIPPEE!!
I hope it kicks in for you so quickly and lasts a very long time.
Good luck!
12-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #43
beth

My Support Groups:
Thanks MBH, so do I... crosses fingers!
And Yay! for Chron's doll too.
12-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #44
CrohnsHobo

Well my Dr. started the work to get me on Humira yesterday, said it would probably take two weeks with the holidays to get me going. Actually on the phone with Aetna now to see how much this is going to cost me.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #45
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Fingers crossed for you Hobo...
12-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #46
CrohnsHobo

Thanks. It looks like it is covered as a medical expense and not a prescription, so once I meet my deductible it will be 100% covered. Which wont take long with all of my other bills, but I also have enough removed from my checks into a health savings fund to cover the deductible, so the pinch is not that bad.
12-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #47
beth

My Support Groups:
Injector pens are cool. No bothers doing another two this evening despite the second hurting quite a bit. Ouch! Guess that just happens; some hurt others don't.

Crohn'sHobo: hope you get sorted soon.
12-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #48
CrohnsHobo

Thanks. They said cause of xmas it might take a little longer, but they had hoped to have my going by the first week of the year.
12-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #49
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Whenever you pick it up from the pharmacy check that none of the pens/ syringes haven't been broken. That happened once and it was a pain to get the pharmacy to replace it....
12-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #50
Nytefyre

I have been on Humira for almost two years now. Started out with one pen every other week, then on to one pen once a week. For the last month I have taken two pens a week. I will see my Gastro in mid-January and at that point I will be switching meds. Not sure what, though.
12-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #51
AmandaC

Hey, just wanted to join the club. I've been on Humira for about 12 months. It took about 3 months to start working but did wonders combined with Flagyl, I felt almost normal, then got pregnant and things went backwards again, but I'm coping.

I always used to inject in the stomach but doesn't seem quite right now I'm pregnant to be jabbing needles in my stomach so started in the thigh.......OMG, hurts sooo much. Am going to try the ice thing.
12-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #52
beth

My Support Groups:
I haven't tried in my thigh yet, don't think I will either!

It seems to be working for me right from the initial loading doses. Whilst I feel tired I seem to have some resemblance of energy back, for probably the first time in 2 1/2 years! Despite my symptoms being otherwise reasonable - in that I usually only had to go for BM's 2 - 3 times a day, I have slowed down even more - like once or twice a day at most. Pretty awesome!

Anyone else had it work so quickly, or am I in the land of wishful thinking?
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #53
uli

Just joining the Humira club. Been on it since end of November. Started with 160mg, then 2 weeks later 80mg and from then on 40mg every 2nd week. Felt quite a change in my belly already after half a week ( 20 bm's a day to aprrox. 5-6 ). The last few days before its time for a new "shot" I really feel that I need it because daily bm's and grouling from the stomach increases significantly. Hope to feel even a better effect as the weeks passes by.

Again, certain food like pork and fat in general, will produce a lot of gas and never works well for me and I'm back on the loo to many times a day. Detective work is required to organize the best food pattern, I think ???

All the best to Humira users.
12-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #54
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

beth said:
Anyone else had it work so quickly, or am I in the land of wishful thinking?
Mine started working 6 days after the initial loading dose. It's possible! You're not imagining!
12-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #55
beth

My Support Groups:
Kewl! Thanks Uli and MBH!

Uli: I was warned off pork by a dietician, something to do with fatty acids not being too friendly to us. I would recommend reducing your diet to a few really simple things, like chicken/fish and rice with a few peeled veg like carrots, potato, broccoli/etc. Then once you are happy you are tolerating it, gradually add in new foods.
And Welcome to CF!
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #56
uli

Thanks Beth,
Yeah I think its the way to go. Small steps at a time ( love asian food .- so here we go )
12-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #57
MetalCyborg

Well I just joined the Humira club. yay for New Years changes! I tried the thigh and the stomach and decided the stomach was less painful. all in all not too bad, assuming it actually helps. Ive been tapering off pred and can definitely tell.
12-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #58
uab grad student

Just wanted to join the Humira club! I started with my loading dose on Monday (all 4 in stomach... was told it hurts less). It was a sting each time but not so bad and didn't hurt afterward like some shots do.

Like Beth, I think it is starting to work a little but wasn't sure it could happen so fast... I guess a little positive thinking never killed anyone so I prefer to think that it IS working.

December 2009--Diagnosed with Crohn's

Current Crohn's meds: entocort, remicade, 6-MP

Other stuff: pulmicort, pro-air, celexa

Current supplements: ferrous sulfate, folic acid, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, women's multi-vitamin, Florastor probiotic
01-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #59
Procyon

My doctor agrees that the Cimzia is not working for me, so I'll be going on Humira soon. Doing my last Cimzia injections tomorrow, and then starting Humira whenever all the pharmacy/insurance stuff makes sense somehow. Hopefully it will get things under control.
01-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #60
katfisher

AmandaC said:
then got pregnant and things went backwards again, but I'm coping.
what do you mean things went backwards? did the humira stop working while you are pregnant? did they take you off of it when you got pregnant? i am probably starting humira this month but was hoping that we could try to have a baby while i was on it but hadn't found anyone else who had done this personally.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group