Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group

01-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #61
katfisher

I applied for the co-pay assistance $5 from them? I don't go to the doctor to get my prescription until January 21st so will they even help me until I officially have the prescription?
01-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #62
uab grad student

Hi Kat,

I would talk to your doc--my first doses came in a starter pack (4 Humira shots for first dose, 2 Humira shots for 2nd dose) and my doc was able to give me that package for FREE. I think it counted as a sample or something, so ask your doc if they have any samples that you can start on before you fill your first prescription and then use the co-pay assistance.

It's worth a try, anyway....

December 2009--Diagnosed with Crohn's

Current Crohn's meds: entocort, remicade, 6-MP

Other stuff: pulmicort, pro-air, celexa

Current supplements: ferrous sulfate, folic acid, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, women's multi-vitamin, Florastor probiotic
01-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
adrian mcdonnell

Hi Evereyone,
I am currently on infliximab but would like to ask a question regarding humira. How often do you have to go to the hospital whilst on humira? The reason why i ask is that i have to go every 2 months and this is causing a problem with my current employer.

Thanks
Adrian.
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #64
uli

Hi Adrian,
You inject Humira at home. Normally every 2 weeks but it can differ.
01-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #65
Procyon

I'm finally starting my Humira tonight. Hopefully the pens with go over smoothly...Seems less complicated than self-injecting the Cimzia at any rate. Any tips for the first injections?

Glad to start something besides the Cimzia at any rate. Barely helped the Crohn's, but did a heckuva job on my immune system. I currently have shingles, it seems. (Right when school's starting back up. @[email protected]) So I've got my fingers crossed for a medicine whose benefits will outweigh the other stuff this time around.
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #66
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

adrian mcdonnell said:
Hi Evereyone,
I am currently on infliximab but would like to ask a question regarding humira. How often do you have to go to the hospital whilst on humira? The reason why i ask is that i have to go every 2 months and this is causing a problem with my current employer.
If the Remicade is working well for you, I wouldn't NOT switch meds. Your employer should be understanding, as it is a medically needed thing that you are doing. If you weren't getting treatment, you would likely miss MORE work.
Is there any way that you can get your infusions on a Saturday? I know that some infusion centers are open on Saturdays. Or could you go in the afternoon? I go at 1 pm so I only have to miss 1/2 day of work.
How is the Remi working for you?

Procyon said:
I'm finally starting my Humira tonight. Hopefully the pens with go over smoothly...Seems less complicated than self-injecting the Cimzia at any rate. Any tips for the first injections?
Congrats Procyon! I hope it works quickly for you!
My only tip is to press on the injection site for a little while afterward. This will keep the blood from pooling under your skiin and making a bruise.
If you have someone else that can do the injections for you, I did that and held my breath while the medicine went in. They say not to hold your breath if you are doing it yourself though. It is a sting, but SO worth it if it works for you. Good luck!
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #67
katiesue1506

Ha yeah... don't hold your breathe if you are doing it yourself... my humira nurse that taught me told me she had a bunch of patients pass out that way.

I personally don't like pressing on it afterwards because for me it makes the medicine sting more. Once you get over the 4 shots and then the two its a piece of cake. Loading doses are difficult though, good luck!
01-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #68
Procyon

Thanks.

I think I did alright. I was nervous that it didn't even go in with the first pen, because I didn't feel a thing. It stung a little bit afterwards, but not as badly as others seem to experience. Guess I'm lucky, haha.
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #69
CrohnsHobo

Woohoo! Everything finally got approved and the drugs will be here tomorrow!

I am not looking forward to injecting myself a billion times for the loading dose of Humira and the initial dose of Methotrexate that I will need to inject myself also.

Excited to taper off the Pred with this also. In the last month at 40 a day I have put on 10 pounds. Still under weight a bit, but a big jump for my little frame in a month.

Excited and nervous!

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
01-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #70
katiesue1506

YAY!

Yeah Procyon... sometimes you get lucky and hit a place that doesn't hurt... sometimes you hit a badddd spot though and it hurts REALLY bad. Its all in the stick.
01-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #71
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Good for both of you. I hope it knocks you into remission.
01-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #72
britt_l_andy

I just started humira two weeks ago and did my next two next shots today. My tummy is a little swollen. I don't know if i'll ever be ok with sticking myself. It took me 30 minutes just to do the first one today. Does it get easier with time?
01-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #73
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Once you are on maintenence, it is only one injection, so that is better. Can a friend or family member do it?
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #74
Nic

Went to my GI today and it looks like I will be joining the Humira Club! Should be getting my starter kit soon! They want me started within the next 2 weeks! I'm getting pretty nervous about the pain from the injections!! I'm not very good with needles and shots, although I guess I have gotten alot better since in the last 3 months I've been stuck more than I have in my life!! I used to pass out getting flu shots, so this could be interesting!! LOL

Has anyone ever had the blod clot shot in the tummy (that they give you when your in the hospital)? If so, does the Humira feel anything like that one? That one almost feels like a bee sting but a little worse, only thing is you can't touch that one afterward or it will bruise your entire stomach!!
01-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #75
CrohnsHobo

I did my initial loading dose last night. It was not bad. I did two shots in the leg and two in the stomach.

The only problem is the pen tends to kick back a little so you really need to keep the pressure on till the little yellow spot show ups. The last couple of seconds stung a bit, but not bad. No bruising or bleeding.
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #76
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Nic said:
Went to my GI today and it looks like I will be joining the Humira Club! Should be getting my starter kit soon! They want me started within the next 2 weeks! I'm getting pretty nervous about the pain from the injections!! I'm not very good with needles and shots, although I guess I have gotten alot better since in the last 3 months I've been stuck more than I have in my life!! I used to pass out getting flu shots, so this could be interesting!! LOL

Has anyone ever had the blod clot shot in the tummy (that they give you when your in the hospital)? If so, does the Humira feel anything like that one? That one almost feels like a bee sting but a little worse, only thing is you can't touch that one afterward or it will bruise your entire stomach!!
Yep! I had the Lovenox inj. in the hospital. Very similar pain wise......I found with the Humira, the loading dose of 4 inj. was the worst because after the 2nd shot, the adrenaline is pretty much wearing off, and I was a bit shakey. Can someone help you at home?
01-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #77
Nic

The only problem is the pen tends to kick back a little so you really need to keep the pressure on till the little yellow spot show ups. The last couple of seconds stung a bit, but not bad. No bruising or bleeding.[/QUOTE]

I just looked at my prescription, I'm getting the pens as well, so I will keep that in mind! Thanks for the tip

IMP-I think I'm going to have my hubby do it for me :/ But I really need to learn to do it myself incase he gets deployed! Although I will be close to my mom if he leaves so maybe I'll just ask her to do it I just know I'm bad with stuff like that and I don't wanna take a chance of passing out or something with the kiddos and just myself! I hate those Lovenox inj!! My loading dose is going to be done in my doc's office with the Humira nurse, so hopefully she'll keep me from getting shakey!

Got my TB test today and will have it checked on monday, so hopefully I'll get my meds shortly after that and can get started soon!!
01-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #78
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I'll be going on Humira pending a TB test, primarily for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #79
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Good luck to both Nic and Ed....I hope it works well for you both.
01-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #80
J.P.

whoops looks like i posted in the wrong thread..Joined the club on thurs. Did two in the stomach and two in the thigh. Neither of them hurt at all, I would say its no worse than getting blood drawn. Ive heard alot of different things about how long it takes to work. Anyone have it work immediately? The nurse said it does for some people..
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #81
ChefShazzy

I'm joining the Humira club officially tomorrow morning... The nurse is coming at 10 to load me up with my 4 doses. I guess I didn't request the pen, so my first 6 doses are syringes... that freaks me out a bit; I would have preferred the pen. Does anyone inject with syringes? I guess week 4 I will be able to switch... Nervous!!
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
02-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #82
crohnie2

My Support Groups:
I am SO nervous about the Humira shots. I really don't like needles and have to start in a couple wks!!! How much training did you all get before you were comfortable giving yourself shots? How painful is it? Do you let it warm up before you give yourself the shot?
02-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #83
ChefShazzy

I was told to take the medication out of the fridge about 1/2 hour before the nurse comes. So yes, you should let it warm up before injecting. I am nervous about how much training I will get for the injections and I am worried that I might pass out! I never imagined I would have to give myself needles. Ideally I would like the nurse to just administer the 4 doses but I know that's not gonna happen - I'm going to have to try it myself!! Aaagh!! I am supposed to watch an instructional DVD tonight about the injections but even that is making me nervous. I hope I can handle this.
02-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #84
Nic

Lemme know how it goes ya'll! I'll be starting in the next week or so :/ Very nervous myself!
02-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #85
beth

My Support Groups:
I have a feeling they default to the pens.
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #86
ChefShazzy

OK!!!
I did it!!
I injected myself 3 times with the Humira syringes!!

It wasn't really that bad... actually, I think I will prefer using the syringes. It's quick and you can control it more... I was so nervous but the nurse was very patient and showed me the first injection. The worst part I found to be the stinging following the injection. So, now I'm loaded up with my 160mg, and in two weeks I'll shoot up another 80. Hopeful that this brings me some long term relief!! Now, just to get off of this prednisone...
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #87
britt_l_andy

I feel so stupid right now. I was doing my injection and I moved. Almost all of the humira went everywhere but in me. Has this happened to anyone else? What did the doctor say to do? I left a message for his nurse but no call back yet. I really feel stupid! I really need this to get easier for me.
02-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #88
katfisher

I've had my first 6 doses in the fridge now for 2 weeks and can't use them yet because I have a perianal abscess that just won't heal. It has been a month today since my abcess surgery and I'm just so frustrated! I was on 6-mp and it quit working so we added 40mg prednisone. Now I'm off the 6-mp to hopefully help me heal faster but so far it's not working and the prednisone just makes me moody and unable to sleep. I really hope this humira works whenever I FINALLY get to start it!
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #89
katfisher

I will say that working with the Humira company was easy and just a fantastic blessing! $5 per month for the medicine is a God send!
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #90
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I have not yet started on Hmira. I'm still in the process of being diagnosed. But my GI doc mentioned starting on a biologic once it was diagnosed and Humira is the one that is covered by my insurance plan. I assume I'll start on that.

I've read a lot about people saying the loading doses are the worst. What's so bad about them as compared to the other times?

Also...does anyone know if the shots compare to allergy shots? I get those monthly and was curious if the pain was similar to those.

I am a very petite and thin person naturally and probably could be considered underweight right now since I lost about 7 pounds in the hospital. I worry I won't be able to find a "fatty" enough spot to inject the shots. The idea of injections in the arm sound more appealing than the leg or the stomach, perhaps because I am used to it already.

I know my worry is premature since I am not even slated to start Humira yet, but was just looking to gain more knowledge about it. Thanks

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira Club Support Group